HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2011, 06:52 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,280 Posts
I went flying today but couldn't get any range on channel 8. I really need to tune my antennas. I think it could of been that there was fog all around me so the wave signal just wasn't getting through.

As the day progressed the cloud cover started to burn up but sometimes i think I must have done something bad in a past life . My 2 year old daughter loves helping me build planes and decided that she would help me build while I was at work. She cut up my fatshark cable I had it stuck back together but today while on the ground everything went black. So only got one flight in. Back to repairing things again.

Now I am at home writing damn silly school reports. I think all children will get a F this weekend!!
whakahere is online now Find More Posts by whakahere
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2011, 09:27 AM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,218 Posts
It must be nice to select 5.8ghz Channels 1-8.

My FoxTech 5.8ghz VidTx 200mW and FoxTech AOI goggles only allow me to choose
only channel 1-4 in the USA.

It is default to Channel 4 from the factory at FoxTech !

I guess this is the USA versions. ! :-)
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old May 21, 2011, 10:07 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,280 Posts
I didn't know that the goggles were only had 4 channels. It shouldn't matter too much as flying miles over cities isn't 5.8ghz strong point. While you can get some range out of the system I think it is still best suited for max 2km (1.5ish) in range. Within that range it doesn't really matter if I am flying over cities or not the pictures remains okay on cl and spw. I think 5.8ghz is great for club flying with others or short distance trips. If people are looking to fly long range as their main form of fpv flying I wouldn't recommend 5.8ghz.

I enjoy using 5.8ghz because of the small antennas, range of channels that I can use without a lot of interference and the complete compactness of the overall unit. Of course I would love to see a true, light weight 500mw+ transmitter (to go along with the -90db receivers) and some factory tuned CP antennas. I think that could make a world of difference in how these systems are used.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
@wkakahere: hopefully weather will be fine for you tomorrow. busy waiting for your helix-results
maybe an interesting combi : helix 5,8 Video + 8dbi 2,4 RC-Patch parallel on a tracker ?
did a flight today with my homemade SP and CL : 4,9 km. was the limit of RC, failsafes... but will improve that, hoping for maybe 6 km. I think Markus was right with his statement of 6 km. Video maybe later.
Thanx a lot to IBCazy for his great work !!! CP forever !

Name: 4900m.jpg
Views: 555
Size: 232.6 KB
Description:
rabe2000 is offline Find More Posts by rabe2000
Old May 21, 2011, 12:18 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
It must be nice to select 5.8ghz Channels 1-8.

My FoxTech 5.8ghz VidTx 200mW and FoxTech AOI goggles only allow me to choose
only channel 1-4 in the USA.

It is default to Channel 4 from the factory at FoxTech !

I guess this is the USA versions. ! :-)
Lazyness on behalft of FoxTech IMHO. The chipset used supports an easy channel band selection by using strapping certain pin's of the transmitter and reciver chip respectively. By doing so it's possible to choose between band "A", "B" and band "E", each of which having 8 channels!

Band "A" would be totally complying with US laws, "B" is the one to choose for europe (read the EU). "E" seems to be the default and most likely used elsewhere.

Needless to say that stocking and producing goggles for different areas of the world is a bigger effort than just having one model. However, for goggles priced so high like the FoxTech I would have expected more.

Just my 2

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old May 21, 2011, 12:45 PM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
@rabe2000: very nice.

Was that with your Skywalker.
Where did you mount your transmitter and the antenna?
(maybe photo)
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old May 21, 2011, 01:19 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabe2000 View Post
@wkakahere: hopefully weather will be fine for you tomorrow. busy waiting for your helix-results
maybe an interesting combi : helix 5,8 Video + 8dbi 2,4 RC-Patch parallel on a tracker ?
did a flight today with my homemade SP and CL : 4,9 km. was the limit of RC, failsafes... but will improve that, hoping for maybe 6 km. I think Markus was right with his statement of 6 km. Video maybe later.
Thanx a lot to IBCazy for his great work !!! CP forever !

Attachment 4028656
Great flight! that looks a fantastic picture on the standard cp omni's. What channel were you using for that run?

I have a strange feeling something is holding my helix back. I might build another tonight just for the hell of it. My current just isn't doing the job for the higher frequencies. Since Markus has found that the antennas he has built seem to scale up I might just build it based on 5800mhz. My next one is going to be a 5 turn just to see if there is any real difference.
Old May 21, 2011, 02:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
@BlueAngel : Yep, was the repaired Skywalker. My new SW V3 is still here in the box. Made a kind of pod for the front downside mounted antenna. Was the "hat" of a deostick and fitted nearly perfectly.
some pics :

Name: sw4.jpg
Views: 347
Size: 133.0 KB
Description: Name: sw7.jpg
Views: 312
Size: 95.5 KB
Description: Name: sw9.jpg
Views: 266
Size: 155.0 KB
Description: Name: sw12.jpg
Views: 347
Size: 148.7 KB
Description: Name: sw14.jpg
Views: 299
Size: 111.5 KB
Description:

@whakahere : was channel 1, if the foxtech manual is correct.
receiver switches: 1-down,2-down,3-down,4-up. will also try on ch8 as markus told me that would even be better.
will defintly build a helix, too.
Old May 21, 2011, 02:48 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
What's the ideal frequency for the CL/SPW? I'm using a different tx and the channels don't line up.
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J
Old May 21, 2011, 03:53 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin_J View Post
What's the ideal frequency for the CL/SPW? I'm using a different tx and the channels don't line up.
if they don't line up then it isn't going to work. two are two different sets you can choose from in 5.8ghz.
Old May 21, 2011, 03:54 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,280 Posts
Quote:
@whakahere : was channel 1, if the foxtech manual is correct.
receiver switches: 1-down,2-down,3-down,4-up. will also try on ch8 as markus told me that would even be better.
will defintly build a helix, too.
I've been using channel 1 as well. I wanted to test channel 8 today but sadly my fatshark cable is now broken and I need to get another. so no flying until I get another.
Old May 21, 2011, 04:11 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Yeah I know, but I want the 5.8xx number so I can pick the right channel on my set. Is it 5.725 or is it better to go higher? I am currently on 5.945.
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J
Old May 21, 2011, 04:16 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin_J View Post
Yeah I know, but I want the 5.8xx number so I can pick the right channel on my set. Is it 5.725 or is it better to go higher? I am currently on 5.945.
check this post out http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=24

it states what wifi will be on in your area. channel 8 still seems to be the way to go for you and me.
Old May 21, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
fatshark cable just cut in 2 or 100+ pieces?
not possible to repair/solder the cables together ?
pinout :

Name: Fatshark Pinout.jpg
Views: 408
Size: 35.1 KB
Description:
Old May 21, 2011, 04:21 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,280 Posts
Quote:
fatshark cable just cut in 2 or 100+ pieces?
not possible to repair/solder the cables together ?
pinout :

Attachment 4029213
I wish she cut that end up as that would be the easy fix. Sadly she cut the other end I am sure it COULD be fixed and I have tried to connect the cut parts back together but so far no go. The main area that was cut was the two power cables. The video area is fine. She cut it right at the base. bad girl