SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:43 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Depends on where you fly. If you take off and land on gras, then it's better to have it above the plane but in which case I would mount it on the rudder for it to be as far away from the RC reciver (and potential GPS in case of OSD). If you have the comfort of a paved runway, put the antenna below the plane. Oh, and most importantly, dump the linear antennas and get a pair of cloverleaf / skew planar wheel circular polarized antennas. Will give you much more range with clear picture.

Markus
+1
yup what markus said.
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:22 PM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
Yup, I gotta dump the linear antennas. I did an actual range test today after solving the channel problem and the range was not that great, about 400-500feet before the picture really started to cut out. So, when you said mount the TX underneath the plane, would I point the antenna straight at the ground?

Also, I believe its the camera/lens, but I found the depth view is odd, I did not think once about attempting to land fpv.... objects seemed further on video?? The camera has great low light exposure but of course isn't very clear as it is SD. This is the camera:
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-OSD-Menu.html

Oh and here is a short video from this evening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_JFDeTDDxQ
FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Last edited by FTA_FTW; Oct 23, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:37 PM
Joined Feb 2011
466 Posts
camera is fine.

yes the antenna pointing 90 to the ground, as far as possible down.
(only the first 3-4cm of the antenna are active the rest is just plastic.)
V_Okto is offline Find More Posts by V_Okto
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:51 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Jan 2008
690 Posts
FTA, i dont know how your setup got onto different channels. I must have clicked one by accident putting it in the box. Sorry about that. Hope all is well now.
lilphil26 is offline Find More Posts by lilphil26
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:49 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,274 Posts
yuppie I hold the new record. 8.1km And that is flying beside communication towers that screwed my video up at points. Now I am not sure if this can be called a real record even though I flew out that far I lost video right at the end (lined up with those damn towers). But the OSD does show 8097meters. On the way out I have to fly through them so at points I lose a hell of a lot of signal until I fly through them. At 7.8km it is pretty clear but I knew those towers would hurt me again.

Another .... somewhat embarrassing thing is ... I ran out of power on the way home. Needed to set it down 2.5 km from home. Not a problem though as I could see the picture clear as until 3meters off the ground and then I just let the dosd set it down safe. I will still claim the record cause ... god damn it is my thread and I can!

Name: Screen shot 2011-11-06 at 9.42.45 PM.jpg
Views: 102
Size: 55.1 KB
Description:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.87....panoramio.all

Tomorrow I am going to a new location away from those damn towers and take my much larger battery. I am sure I can hit 10km with video but a little unsure if I can with my twinstar. We will see I guess. I will also post the video when I am finished editing it.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:56 PM
RC Farmer
Joined Aug 2011
419 Posts
Wow, great!

How many turns on the helix?
Farmer_Joe is offline Find More Posts by Farmer_Joe
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:01 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_Joe View Post
Wow, great!

How many turns on the helix?
8 turns, and untuned. Next week I get some gear to tune it. Rabe2000 had 14 and a much better picture so really if he wanted he can go further than me .... but screw it, I want my 15 minutes of fame.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:26 PM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
Hey Whaka, you did it! Congratulations!
Very tough to fly on with this "bad" picture, but your RTH runs fine, doesn't it?
Its 50m more, the record is yours and I think your fame will last for more than 15 min Try a Skywalker and you won't have any power problems. I think I could use even 2 x 5000mAh. Will try this next week hopefully. What kind of tuning gearwill you receive? It's just a matter of time until one of us will crack the 10 km.
cu
Ralf
rabe2000 is offline Find More Posts by rabe2000
Old Nov 06, 2011, 05:02 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabe2000 View Post
Hey Whaka, you did it! Congratulations!
Very tough to fly on with this "bad" picture, but your RTH runs fine, doesn't it?
Its 50m more, the record is yours and I think your fame will last for more than 15 min Try a Skywalker and you won't have any power problems. I think I could use even 2 x 5000mAh. Will try this next week hopefully. What kind of tuning gearwill you receive? It's just a matter of time until one of us will crack the 10 km.
cu
Ralf
lol, did it kind of. Yea my RTH works well that is the only reason I do these sorts of flights. 99% of the time I can't be bothered with distance as I love to fly under trees and keep around 1-2 meters in height. I haven't done distance since spring but I thought ... i've build a new helical (well 6 of them) might as well see what I can do. Tomorrow I will use a 5000mah bat and see how far I can go ... not flying near these silly towers again. The bad picture happened very quickly. Most of the time it was very clear. At 7900meters it is very clear but I am flying near communication towers and they screw me quickly.

Name: Screen shot 2011-11-06 at 11.40.49 PM.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 72.8 KB
Description:

I hit points along the way like 3km and 5km where the towers do a real number on me. I just fly through them.

My next plane will be a Knurrus Maximus FPV and I am going to stick 2 x 3300mah in it. I was thinking about the new zephyr but since I love the crazy low flying I think I need something that can hug the ground a little better and take the beating I will give it. It should reach the 10km mark.

I am sure you will blow me away in overall distance. Your 14 turn should wipe me out. But hell, I will hold that extra 50 meters until ... you beat me Truth is I thought you flew 8.4km so it wasn't until I was going to post here that I noticed that you only just went past 8km. So I thought .. yuppie lol

I am getting some good attenuators (set of 6) and hand tuning. It isn't prefect but IBcrazy has informed me that they get pretty close. I am still looking for a 6ghz spectrum analyzer to use but they are hard to find. I am on another bunch of contacts but since I don't know them personally it is taking a while.

We need to hurry with any range flights as well. Humidity is getting higher and that kills 5.8ghz. So if you can get up this week go for it as I would love to see the range you can pull off.

Movie should be coming but imovie keeps crashing on me .. stupid apple computer
Old Nov 06, 2011, 05:18 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
We need to hurry with any range flights as well. Humidity is getting higher and that kills 5.8ghz. So if you can get up this week go for it as I would love to see the range you can pull off.
I don't think it's that bad. At least not according to the ARRL UHF/Mircowave experimenters manual. Humidity at 5.8G is almost negletable. Even fog is not that bad. I.e. if the visibility is around 30m we talk about 0.04 dB per Kilometer. At around 17m it would be 0.1dB. Again, those numbers are for FOG, not humidity. For humidity the tables do not even have an entry for Frequencies around 5.8Ghz.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Nov 06, 2011, 05:21 PM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
thumbs up for your try tomorrow!
Yes , should be possilble with a good built KM and 6600mAh.
I'm not really sure if tuning brings us so much advantages. I think our main problem at 5G8 is the weather, humidity and RF-Noise. Few days ago I wasn't even able to fly more than 5 km with my really good 14-turn. We just have to hit the perfect day with the right winds and very low humidity.
My chances for a record-try this week are very small as I have too much work this week. But will see.

@Markus: that few days age we had strong inversion in ca. 500m over ground. I would say it is reproducable in our area: high humidity, strong inversions, lower range. Best chances for longer ranges when light winds from east (dry) and clear sky. Just my experience in my area.
rabe2000 is offline Find More Posts by rabe2000
Last edited by rabe2000; Nov 06, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 05:44 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
@Markus: that few days age we had strong inversion in ca. 500m over ground. I would say it is reproducable in our area: high humidity, strong inversions, lower range. Best chances for longer ranges when light winds from east (dry) and clear sky. Just my experience in my area.
We aparently don't talk about the same thing. I refered to the attenuation of humidity and fog, not about inversions and reflections.

Inversions and reflections of course have influence here too and I totally agree that in the end we are faced with a mixture of a lot of influences. My point was related to Whaka's remark about the humidity by itself though.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:37 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
We aparently don't talk about the same thing. I refered to the attenuation of humidity and fog, not about inversions and reflections.

Inversions and reflections of course have influence here too and I totally agree that in the end we are faced with a mixture of a lot of influences. My point was related to Whaka's remark about the humidity by itself though.

Markus
thanks guys. I did know that. I just find wet days not good ... dry days good I keep it simple for my little brain.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:38 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
thumbs up for your try tomorrow!
Yes , should be possilble with a good built KM and 6600mAh.
I'm not really sure if tuning brings us so much advantages. I think our main problem at 5G8 is the weather, humidity and RF-Noise. Few days ago I wasn't even able to fly more than 5 km with my really good 14-turn. We just have to hit the perfect day with the right winds and very low humidity.
My chances for a record-try this week are very small as I have too much work this week. But will see.
I am hoping that I can milk 1-2 more km out of tuning the antennas. I guess we will see. I built a few to experiment with.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 04:58 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,274 Posts
Weather was/is crap today. Fog and low cloud. So testing the range of my helical wasn't going to happen. I did fly through the clouds. My landing was crap though as I over shot and broke a prop. Tomorrow should be better weather and I hope I can try again.