HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:22 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,294 Posts
You could try placing it in the center and see if you still get range or if the over all noise of everything blocks it. I am guessing if it is high enough it should remain pretty clean. I do run a 30cm cloverleaf on my wing and I still get out 1km clear. If it it placed on the center, with good clearance (say 10cm) you might get a clean signal most of the time ... unless you fly overtop of yourself. If I could find my camera I would show you what I mean

pretty much it is at the center, high up (about 8cm - 10cm). Of course you still get some areas blocking such as the motors. Or you could turn it upside down and have it just hanging lower than the battery. Good thing about 5.8ghz is the small antenna so if you landing gear is large enough it shouldn't smack into the ground. I might give the center a try .... when I get the yaw mount of mine rebuilt.
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:27 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Mine does hang lower than the lipo but it can still get blocked if low enough and tilted forward during a direct return flight path. I can stay low as long as I fly at an angle and zig zag my way back.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:11 PM
Joined Feb 2011
472 Posts
Hey guys =) im using this sett with my oktokopter!

i will post videos soon. nice read !
V_Okto is offline Find More Posts by V_Okto
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:21 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,294 Posts
I just used a new 4 turn helical I built. 1.5km clear but I didn't push it further. So I might be able to get 2km clear out of it. Will test that later. I need to test all my other helicals I have built.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:26 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Did you just use the helical or with diversity and an omni antenna? Is it fairly easy to stay in it's beam?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:08 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,294 Posts
Just used the helical. it is easy to stay in the beam of a 4 turn. 6 turn I don't have to many problems either. The 4 turn has a wide angle to it. I have even flown close behind myself no worries.

In the first post where I did 5.1km was a 6 turn helical. At the end of it I was playing with the edges.

My new model I made straps to my head too .... so when I get off target i move my head. Antenna tracker kiwi style.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:59 AM
Joined Feb 2011
472 Posts
Hey i use a SWP/Helix 6turn diversity (EE) not antenna tracking ! CL on my okto.

Works GREAT ranges are... longer than my RC
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:06 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Okto View Post
Hey i use a SWP/Helix 6turn diversity (EE) not antenna tracking ! CL on my okto.

Works GREAT ranges are... longer than my RC
I'm thinking of doing the same thing next spring on a TwinStar 2, but with a 4 turn Helix. How do you like the Eagle Eyes?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:27 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
So what kind of range do you guys get from the stock antennas?
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:46 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
So what kind of range do you guys get from the stock antennas?
IMHO the trouble with the stock antennas is not necesairly range as they work to about 1km. The problem is the fact that you get reflections alas disturbance in the picture even (or especially) in very close to close proximity as well as further out but getting better with distance. If you fly out say 500+meters and if you are somewhat high above ground it works not THAT bad. However, nothing beats circular antennas. Almost no disturbance and if you reach the limit, it slowly starts to get grainy, reverts back to good for a while, goes grainy again and this eventually repeats several times (depending on how good the antennas are) up until the picture becomes unflyable. With linear antennas this spot is much more "sudden" which is bad.

My personal record on CP antennas (CL on self made transmitter with SPW on rx) is 6km. With the stock antennas I flew out up to around 1km, but again, was not nearly as much of fun as with circular polarized ones.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:23 PM
Joined Feb 2011
472 Posts
@cactus i use the EE out of the box nothing changed. Diversity works great and the voltage alarm is also good ! nothing more to say there

CP Antennas ROCK thank you so mutch IBcrazy !
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:01 PM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
Guys,

I have the Bev 5.8ghz system and was wondering if a Cantenna would be worth using for the RX? I am getting HORRIBLE range (60feet) with the stock TX and RX antennas.
FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Old Oct 23, 2011, 03:30 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,294 Posts
60 feet? I say you have them on the wrong channels. remember to get channel 1 on the rx and the tx you must have the pins set up differently.

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/product/tx.../5.8G%20E1.jpg

cantenna .. it will be linear so i don't think it will improve it. post a picture of your plane
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:51 AM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
60 feet? I say you have them on the wrong channels. remember to get channel 1 on the rx and the tx you must have the pins set up differently.

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/product/tx.../5.8G%20E1.jpg

cantenna .. it will be linear so i don't think it will improve it. post a picture of your plane
You were right! They were on different channels! The pins on the RX and TX were set to the same position, which on that link you provided is incorrrect. I had the pins on the RX correct (all up ch8) but on the TX they were also all up. I will test everything again today Thanks so much!!

Here is the plane. I dont have the wings attached in this pic but you can see where I have the TX set. Is that okay spot?
FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:00 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA_FTW View Post
You were right! They were on different channels! The pins on the RX and TX were set to the same position, which on that link you provided is incorrrect. I had the pins on the RX correct (all up ch8) but on the TX they were also all up. I will test everything again today Thanks so much!!

Here is the plane. I dont have the wings attached in this pic but you can see where I have the TX set. Is that okay spot?
Depends on where you fly. If you take off and land on gras, then it's better to have it above the plane but in which case I would mount it on the rudder for it to be as far away from the RC reciver (and potential GPS in case of OSD). If you have the comfort of a paved runway, put the antenna below the plane. Oh, and most importantly, dump the linear antennas and get a pair of cloverleaf / skew planar wheel circular polarized antennas. Will give you much more range with clear picture.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456