Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabe2000 View Post
Thanx.
Cam is a 600TVL from kamera2000.com
(http://www.kamera2000.com/products/6...8mm-Linse.html )
Recorder is 2,5" DVR, RM RMVB REKORDER Multimedia 2.5 HDD PLAYER RECORDER 3 (not availiable anymore, i think)

( http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_5102wt_906)

Was my new 14-turn Helical, but had also video with the 8-turn (bit worse).
Yes, use a Tracker, EagleEyes.

Thanx. 14 turns.

Thanx Alex. Without your work this would not have been possible.
I have to thank you for your published How-to's.
Hopefully with the Guardian my RTH works fine, then I will try the 10 km.
how long does it take for the cam to be delivered? It seem to be the same camera I am using. Is this sent from china or here in Europe?

oh 14 turns .. you bas ....... that was my idea to try and break the record. damn you Now I need a new plan
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:14 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Hugo,

I built a virevent and tried it. I am in the process of trying your other designs too. They are great Hugo, really, no offense. All our optimisations we do here lead to better results, but the biggest change I experienced so far was going from linear to circular polarized antennas. This is IMHO a must for anyone trying to do FPV on 5.8Ghz (which is what this thread is about). The difference between a FINE TUNED CL or SPW and a virevent and your other designs is subject to ongoing tests I'm performing whenever possible.

My admitedly so far only quick and dirty comparison tests revealed that the difference in performance among those CP antennas - provided they are really made well and fine tuned - is not THAT big that it would justify the bigger building efforts. Those are my prelimenary findings, and I intentionally tried to stay vague in my previous post because I really truly in depth test all those antennas. These tests - as you may know from personal experience - take a lot of time. Rest assured that I for myself will go to the bottom of all this, doing whatever it takes.

I may should not have said anything at this still early point in time as I haven't come to a final conclusion, so I'm sorry for this. However, someone starting with FPV on 5.8Ghz like the poster to which I replied can't go wrong with omni directional CP antennas no matter if he opt's for a CL/SPW pair or your antennas.

Markus
I'm still testing the tuned antennas as well. The one thing I find they do much better .. tuned antennas that is .. is reject noise.

Looking forward with what you come up with. Let hope we can push this little unit even further.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:13 AM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
how long does it take for the cam to be delivered? It seem to be the same camera I am using. Is this sent from china or here in Europe?

oh 14 turns .. you bas ....... that was my idea to try and break the record. damn you Now I need a new plan
I think delivery was ca. 10 days from china.
sorry for crossing your plans...
rabe2000 is offline Find More Posts by rabe2000
Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:20 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
Whaka you still have some time to spare, build a 14 turn a go the full range the antenna can make hehe ...

Guys, I saw that 600mW unit on HK but it's not compatible with the 200mW system's receiver (btw which receiver is compatible with that unit)..anyone know if there is any higher powered units compatible with that receiver, I'll need that in a few years when I earn enough for a lrs hehe...
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:24 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Whaka you still have some time to spare, build a 14 turn a go the full range the antenna can make hehe ...

Guys, I saw that 600mW unit on HK but it's not compatible with the 200mW system's receiver (btw which receiver is compatible with that unit)..anyone know if there is any higher powered units compatible with that receiver, I'll need that in a few years when I earn enough for a lrs hehe...
I just need to borrow Rabe's antenna tracker and I all go So rabe if you are in the Mainz area .... come fly with me.

There is a 500mw transmitter for this receiver but it burns out so I wouldn't buy it.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 01:09 AM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
I just need to borrow Rabe's antenna tracker and I all go So rabe if you are in the Mainz area .... come fly with me.
Sorry, not close to Mainz, my area is south of munich. But would be nice if you come for a visit.
rabe2000 is offline Find More Posts by rabe2000
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:59 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
But one couldn't hack it with a better heat sink or something like that?

Quote:

There is a 500mw transmitter for this receiver but it burns out so I wouldn't buy it.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:16 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
But one couldn't hack it with a better heat sink or something like that?
The unit is already "hacked" as it uses the same PA as the 200mW version but overdriven.

Don't overestimate the 500mW vs. 200mW case. To double the range, one must multiply the power by the factor of four, alas 800mW would give us the double range.

If you look at the 200mW tx combined with the -90dB sensitivity RC305 rx, it becomes clear that you have a range wise better setup than a 500 or 600mW tx combined with a -85dB sensitivity rx as it's the case with the airwave based systems (well any other video rx used with FPV known to me so far).

Did you know that Trappy used a 500mW tx with a -85dB rx on his record flight? One can see that the potential of the 200mW & RC305 combo is by far not yet reached.

There is a lot of truth in the saying that antennas are the best amplifier!

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Sep 01, 2011, 08:05 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
Yes I know that the sensitivity is good, was just thinking if there was some higher powered unit available that would work with this sensitive receiver ...At the moment I just need 3km hehe..so it will do, guys is there any other 5.8ghz specific cp antenna building tutorial (have seen IBC's - but I'm wondering if there is any tutorial with specific tips for 5,8 diy)...If I won't be impressed with my own antennas I'll surely go with yours Markus, the "tuned to a specific frequency" really appeals to me
Old Sep 01, 2011, 08:28 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Yes I know that the sensitivity is good, was just thinking if there was some higher powered unit available that would work with this sensitive receiver ...At the moment I just need 3km hehe..so it will do, guys is there any other 5.8ghz specific cp antenna building tutorial (have seen IBC's - but I'm wondering if there is any tutorial with specific tips for 5,8 diy)...If I won't be impressed with my own antennas I'll surely go with yours Markus, the "tuned to a specific frequency" really appeals to me
IBCrazys guide is good. For 5.8Ghz I'm afraid though that you will end up with a rather unpredictable result without the possibility to measure and tune. Your best bet really is to try and eventually re-try a couple of times. It may helps to use one of those measureing procedures outlined by IBCrazy (like measureing current consumption) to come a bit closer.

Be aware that on 5.8Ghz you will not be able to build any two identical antennas no matter how precisely you try to build them. A bend of a quarter milimeter of one of the lobes in a given direction can make the difference between a deeply resonant antenna or end up with what I call a "flat liner". The challenge will be to have resonant antennas (you need a pair) have them on the same frequency and also have them on a frequency where you can operate your tx and rx.

BUT, even if you don't hit above target, your antennas will work to a degree. It's just maybe asking for a lot of luck to reliably fly with such antennas out to 3km. If you set your target to fly 1.5 or 2km, your chances would be alot better.

Markus
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:38 PM
Enthousiast
Joined Aug 2011
35 Posts
Very impressive, great to see that even the circular antennas are tiny. I have a 1.2 circular and mid flight it fell down just because it was too heavy. Are there differences in interference with 1.2, does it have a problem with foilage?
leohanderson53 is offline Find More Posts by leohanderson53
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:53 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Would It be smart to go with 1.2 ghz video?
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:54 PM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,028 Posts
Quote:
A bend of a quarter milimeter of one of the lobes in a given direction can make the difference between a deeply resonant antenna or end up with what I call a "flat liner".
I had some "flat liner", found out it was the pre-made SMA pigtail. I now install the SMA myself.

-Hugo
Hugeone is offline Find More Posts by Hugeone
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeone View Post
I had some "flat liner", found out it was the pre-made SMA pigtail. I now install the SMA myself.

-Hugo
With above statement I refered to antennas with intact cables and connectors. They end up perfectly ok once I tune them.

Basically that's the essence of what I tried to tell. I belive to have a pretty precise way to build my antennas, but the variance in results at 5.8Ghz is really surprizingly high. So without a way to measure with what you ended up and makeing apropriate corrections is really like playing the lottery.

Markus
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:13 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Pants View Post
Would It be smart to go with 1.2 ghz video?
This totally depends on what you are after.

Some points to considder:

- 1.2Ghz is i.e. not legal everywhere. 5.8 is legal almost in all countries
- 1.2Ghz antennas are compareably huge in size, where as 5.8Ghz antennas are really small
- You get more range with 1.2Ghz at the same power but you get good range with 5.8Ghz as you can see by reading this thread.
- Both frequencies can operate alongside with 2.4Ghz remote controls, but long range systems seem to have a higher risk of issues with 1.2Ghz video links.
- If I'm not mistaken, then there is only one channel, namely 1280Mhz which limits you if you want to fly with someone else at the same time where as 5.8Ghz systems known to me have either 7 or 8 channels.

So, it depends on your personal preference and legal situation at the place where you life.

Markus