HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2011, 04:10 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabe2000 View Post
Was out with my Skywalker for 8 km today, new Record for me.
Attachment 4241340
Is that on 5.8ghz and 200mw????
whakahere is online now Find More Posts by whakahere
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2011, 04:12 PM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
Yes. Rc305-Set, 200mW, selfmade Helix.
I think another 1 km would have been possible, as picture was still ok.
But was not sure, if RTH would work.
rabe2000 is offline Find More Posts by rabe2000
Old Aug 28, 2011, 05:05 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
With your 600mw system you should at least be getting 1km clear picture no worries. I know people are going near 6km with a 600mw system. Airwave receivers are not as sensitive as foxtech receivers but the 600mw counters that very well.

Try without the patch installed and see what happens. Linear and CP antennas are not the best mix. Also show us a picture of your layout. Sometimes it is the location you have everything that can effect your performance.

Since 5.8ghz signal doesn;t like to be blocked it generally work better if you can mount it where nothing gets in the way. Under the plane often can be a very good option.
Whakahere,
Sorry not to get back to you sooner. By the time I saw this reply I had already adjusted the placement of the OSD and transmitter/ antenna, with the CL comming out the bottom of wing.

I was able to get out to the field yesterday morning. Bottom line was that my SPW will not work with my Airwave receiver. If I leave the SPW on my receiver for any leangth of time the voltage indicator light starts to fade away, and then goes out. The SPW does work on my Fat Sharks. Has any one else had this issue?

This is the same as I posted on vimeo:
This flight was accomplished with 5.8 GHz TX, 600mW used with a Blue Beam CL (cloverleaf).
Airwave 5.8 GHz RX (AWRX-668) http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=453 with the use of it's wip antenna, with a diversity controller and the 8dBi patch antenna. RCV922 cam. Lawmate recorder.
I did try to use the Blue Beam SPW (Skew Planner Wheel)antenna with the just RX (no diversity) and found to have complete signal loss every time the Blue Beam SPW was installed on the receiver.
The Go Pro was mounted on this flight, and the brake was set on the ESC after this flight one notch higher. Winds, NW @ 10 -15mph at 90 deg.
In the distance you can see a large commercial sprinkler 3500' I circled it and came back.

The Blue Beam CL and SPW work with the TX and the Fat Shark RX goggles.

UPDATED TONIGHT: Well I always make a photo copy and the instruction/notes that come with a product I purchased. I read them over when I got home from the field yesterday on the SL and SPW from readymaderccom. Tonight I pulled up the info on the site and found my answer to the problem I have had. These notes were not there when I purchased 6/27/11. Thanks to RC Group members... Klaassie and SSassen.
I hope this helps others. I will have further results next weekend.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=459
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=786

Radian FPV 8/27/11 (11 min 50 sec)
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eternalflight; Aug 29, 2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:05 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,284 Posts
Quote:
sweet mate. Do you have a video of the flight? I would love to see how the picture looks over different ranges. Looks like you hold the record for distance on 5.8ghz
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:09 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
Whakahere,
Sorry not to get back to you sooner. By the time I saw this reply I had already adjusted the placement of the OSD and transmitter/ antenna, with the CL comming out the bottom of wing.

I was able to get out to the field yesterday morning. Bottom line was that my SPW will not work with my Airwave receiver. If I leave the SPW on my receiver for any leangth of time the voltage indicator light starts to fade away, and then goes out. The SPW does work on my Fat Sharks. Has any one else had this issue?

This is the same as I posted on vimeo:
This flight was accomplished with 5.8 GHz TX, 600mW used with a Blue Beam CL (cloverleaf).
Airwave 5.8 GHz RX (AWRX-668) http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=453 with the use of it's wip antenna, with a diversity controller and the 8dBi patch antenna. RCV922 cam. Lawmate recorder.
I did try to use the Blue Beam SPW (Skew Planner Wheel)antenna with the just RX (no diversity) and found to have complete signal loss every time the Blue Beam SPW was installed on the receiver.
The Go Pro was mounted on this flight, and the brake was set on the ESC after this flight one notch higher. Winds, NW @ 10 -15mph at 90 deg.
In the distance you can see a large commercial sprinkler 3500' I circled it and came back.

The Blue Beam CL and SPW work with the TX and the Fat Shark RX goggles.

UPDATED TONIGHT: Well I always make a photo copy and the instruction/notes that come with a product I purchased. I read them over when I got home from the field yesterday on the SL and SPW from readymaderccom. Tonight I pulled up the info on the site and found my answer to the problem I have had. These notes were not there when I purchased 6/27/11. Thanks to RC Group members... Klaassie and SSassen.
I hope this helps others. I will have further results next weekend.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=459
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=786

http://www.vimeo.com/28275923
Arh I completely forgot about the the fix for some airwave modules. Glad you found out. Your setup looks nice now though. Your signal will hold out much better now. Make yourself a helical as well and going range like rabe2000 has is very possible. Nice setup by the way Just so you know, linear antennas and CP antennas don't like each other as much. You lose about 3db by using a cp and a linear together. So ... build yourself a 6 turn helical and you will be laughing!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:32 AM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
sweet mate. Do you have a video of the flight? I would love to see how the picture looks over different ranges. Looks like you hold the record for distance on 5.8ghz
Thanx.
Yes, will post a video, hopefull this evening.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:47 PM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
Video of 8 km on 200 mW on 5,8.

8 km (5 min 26 sec)

Was lucky in the end, as my Groundstation-Battery went too low...
Old Aug 29, 2011, 02:22 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,284 Posts
Quote:

http://vimeo.com/28313053

Was lucky in the end, as my Groundstation-Battery went too low...
Nice one ... Looks like what I have seen in my tests with the 6 turn helical. I am very impressed. So it remains pretty clean until about 2km before you get some artefacts or is it a little earlier?

Again congrats on the flight. I haven't heard of anyone else going as far as you on 5.8ghz.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:15 PM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
yes, when i came close to that village at 1,8km i noticed some interfereces, kind of black bar moving vertically from bottom to top,only slightly visible. maybe wlan or so.
Will try to get the 10 km when my guardian is here and running.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:31 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,284 Posts
Quote:
yes, when i came close to that village at 1,8km i noticed some interfereces, kind of black bar moving vertically from bottom to top,only slightly visible. maybe wlan or so.
Will try to get the 10 km when my guardian is here and running.
Did you tune your helical or is it just made to the specs? what frequency are you using?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:04 PM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
no, not tuned, just built to the specs.
flying on ch1 (on rx 1-2-3 down to numbers).
Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:25 PM
RC Farmer
Joined Aug 2011
419 Posts
rabe2000 - great achivent!! It looks i missed it, how many turns on the helix?
Farmer_Joe is offline Find More Posts by Farmer_Joe
Old Aug 30, 2011, 01:36 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_Joe View Post
rabe2000 - great achivent!! It looks i missed it, how many turns on the helix?
I think he is using a 6 turn helical. They are easy to build too Once you get them up and going you won't turn back. I am very happy with the performance and I am going to build another with a wave trap setup.

@rabe2000 you said you were getting some interference ... blueangle posted this
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=24

try picking a band that is outside the wifi area. Here in europe I use band 5. 5885mhz

oh, are you using an antenna tracker?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 04:33 AM
Joined Jun 2009
226 Posts
Quote:
Can you post your setup, especially 1) what camera and 2) what recorder? I think the pic quality looks exceptionally good! Best I've ever seen.
Trnquill is offline Find More Posts by Trnquill
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:26 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,465 Posts
Congrats rabe2000! Keep pushing the limits, guys. I'm sure you'll get even further in future flights.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy