Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:19 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMorpheus View Post
Update!

Today the weather was better and i flew again.
For comparism (all with RC305 and 200mw 5.8GHz):
With linear polarized antennas
my max range: 2.8km with a 11dbi BiLoop and 1.9km with a 8dbi patch
max altitude: 550m

With CP antennas
With the CL+SPW i did 1.7km on bad weather.

Todays results with CL+SPW
range: 2.8km
altitude: 740m (with very good picture)

And of course the CP antennas got way better signal on low passes or behind trees plus they are not directional, so i can fly in any direction.

I really will not go back to linear polarized antennas
you should just once in a while to remind yourself how great it is to fly with CP antennas. Sounds like you are now going to have a ton of fun. Keep us posted as I love hearing news how people are going further on 5.8ghz 200mw than some are getting on the 1.3ghz band. It just makes me smile!
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:31 PM
NRW, Germany
Joined Dec 2010
272 Posts
Hehe, maybe you are right about flying with linear antennas some times to keep in mind why we switched over to CP antennas

I am uploading a new video at the moment. Sadly my last flight in over 700m altitude was not recorded but i got some nice air-footage from the flying wing of my buddy.

edit:
done
FPV chasing a flying wing (5 min 8 sec)
BKMorpheus is offline Find More Posts by BKMorpheus
Last edited by BKMorpheus; Jun 20, 2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:38 AM
Joined Jan 2010
47 Posts
So whats been happening lately with the 5.8ghz 200mw systems?

Im new to fpv and iv gone with Team blacksheeps' rule that the video frequency must be higher than the radio frequency. since im using 2.4ghz, 5.8ghz is the only option and I went with the 200mw tx rc305 reciever.

Iv pretty much read the whole thread and I have learnt alot. Im glad I went with this system! I will be building some cp antenna's soon=)
brettbb is offline Find More Posts by brettbb
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:51 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettbb View Post
So whats been happening lately with the 5.8ghz 200mw systems?

Im new to fpv and iv gone with Team blacksheeps' rule that the video frequency must be higher than the radio frequency. since im using 2.4ghz, 5.8ghz is the only option and I went with the 200mw tx rc305 reciever.

Iv pretty much read the whole thread and I have learnt alot. Im glad I went with this system! I will be building some cp antenna's soon=)
Not too much. We use them, enjoy FPV flying...

SCNR

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Aug 01, 2011, 02:19 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,280 Posts
Long range became not as much fun because it too far to pick up the plane after going crazy

For those that say you can't fly behind things .... then they haven't tried!

what tree?.avi (3 min 27 sec)

I will fly long range again but as of right now I find keeping things close and flying around everything improves my overall flying better than flying high and far.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 09:41 AM
tip rat
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Aug 2009
36 Posts
I've managed to get out to 6km so far with a 6 turn helical with a wavetrap match on it and a clover on the plane. definitely could go further at least another 1 km or more only limitation in the end was the size of the battery in the plane I was using on the day. helical was built using 16mm dowel with 12.5mm spacing and 1.25mm coil winding wire http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mty_DR9YFsc
karlosvontrapp is offline Find More Posts by karlosvontrapp
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:38 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosvontrapp View Post
I've managed to get out to 6km so far with a 6 turn helical with a wavetrap match on it and a clover on the plane. definitely could go further at least another 1 km or more only limitation in the end was the size of the battery in the plane I was using on the day. helical was built using 16mm dowel with 12.5mm spacing and 1.25mm coil winding wire http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mty_DR9YFsc
Well done mate! I say you can go another 1km pretty easy. I love that people are showing that even on 5.8ghz you can fly a good long distance without a mega powerful transmitter. Keep us informed the distance you manage to go.

Impressed as your video looked pretty clear for a long time!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:14 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Damn, I'm definitely gonna try my hand at building a helical!
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J
Old Aug 21, 2011, 03:49 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin_J View Post
Damn, I'm definitely gonna try my hand at building a helical!
they are easy to do. make a 4 turn one first as that with give you a wider area to fly with. When you have that down ... go for a 5-6 turn. going distance is easy.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:17 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Hm i will see.

Here is the key cam footage of my test flight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4DNFHUvs8
Are you using one battery? filters?
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:37 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Dec 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
Are you using one battery? filters?
One battery, no filters.
At the moment i fly my flying-wing and use 2 LiPos (parallel) and a small filter.
BKMorpheus is offline Find More Posts by BKMorpheus
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:03 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,165 Posts
Quote:
One battery, no filters.
At the moment i fly my flying-wing and use 2 LiPos (parallel) and a small filter.
First time for me putting FPV gear on an airplane.
I was able to have about 3 flights this past weekend with my Radian.
Running Dragon link and 5.8, Immerson 600mW transimitter with CL antenna.
My first flight sucked bad with black outs. I corrected that by getting my ezOSD away from the motor.
2nd flight much better but was not getting the distance with sharp picture at about 609.6 meters/2000'.
Ground station I am running diversity with SPW antenna and 8dBi patch. The Patch and SPW are close together (less than 1 foot). The patch is set up for tracking. This may be my biggest problem... but not sure yet.

I have moved my CL tx antenna further away from DL antenna (off of the fuse onto the wing).
I will plan on shutting down the Patch and see how things do with the just the CL and SPW.

Seeing that you have gotten near 4km and I am struggling to get 1km.

I notice you had installed CL under your wing. Did you at one time have it on the top and noticed it does better underneath the wing?

Help appreciated, I hope to make corrections and get a chance to fly this weekend.
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eternalflight; Aug 24, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:53 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
First time for me putting FPV gear on an airplane.
I was able to have about 3 flights this past weekend with my Radian.
Running Dragon link and 5.8, Immerson 600mW transimitter with CL antenna.
My first flight sucked bad with black outs. I corrected that by getting my ezOSD away from the motor.
2nd flight much better but was not getting the distance with sharp picture at about 609.6 meters/2000'.
Ground station I am running diversity with SPW antenna and 8dBi patch. The Patch and SPW are close together (less than 1 foot). The patch is set up for tracking. This may be my biggest problem... but not sure yet.

I have moved my CL tx antenna further away from DL antenna (off of the fuse onto the wing).
I will plan on shutting down the Patch and see how things do with the just the CL and SPW.

Seeing that you have gotten near 4km and I am struggling to get 1km.

I notice you had installed CL under your wing. Did you at one time have it on the top and noticed it does better underneath the wing?

Help appreciated, I hope to make corrections and get a chance to fly this weekend.
With your 600mw system you should at least be getting 1km clear picture no worries. I know people are going near 6km with a 600mw system. Airwave receivers are not as sensitive as foxtech receivers but the 600mw counters that very well.

Try without the patch installed and see what happens. Linear and CP antennas are not the best mix. Also show us a picture of your layout. Sometimes it is the location you have everything that can effect your performance.

Since 5.8ghz signal doesn;t like to be blocked it generally work better if you can mount it where nothing gets in the way. Under the plane often can be a very good option.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:59 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,280 Posts
Today I tested out some antenna built by Markus123456. they were tuned on the 5885mhz band. I ended up getting a max of 3km before I lost picture. I tried in all direction around me to see if it could have been noise issue but I was stuck at the 3km barrier. The weather was not the greatest overall for 5.8ghz though. It was so damn humid that there was a haze over everything. This does effect the range on 5.8ghz ... hell even my noes were sweeting in sandals !

I did notice that a few things from my tests. One was the null above me was smaller, and the rejection when doing low flying was much much better than my home builds. The picture remained 100% for about 300 meters but I was expecting something like this with the weather I was flying in. In hot dry days with low humidity the clear range gets at least 1km.

If anyone is looking for great preforming antennas i would recommend Markus123456 fully. They are great. I just need to fly on a better day to see if I can break the 4km mark. Damn this crappy weather.

I am making a video now and I will post it when I am done.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
Was out with my Skywalker for 8 km today, new Record for me.
Name: 8km.jpg
Views: 246
Size: 85.6 KB
Description:
rabe2000 is offline Find More Posts by rabe2000