Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:08 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrf2 View Post
Tupeloflyer:

Very nice job, but your floats are too close together. Your airplane will blow over in the slightest crosswind.

A couple of years ago I wrote a product review on the Slow Stick for Model Aviation. Part of that review concerned installing floats on it. Here is that part of the text.

Floats

GWS makes a nice, lightweight set of floats that are just the right size for the Slow Stick. So of course I had to try it on the water!

The floats come as a kit that requires the assembler to trim and glue the vacuum formed plastic bottoms to the molded foam tops. A hardwood backbone and wire struts are included along with all of the necessary hardware. Water rudders are not included, and under the calm conditions the Slow Stick needs, they are not needed.

Gluing the top and bottom of the floats together can be a challenge, but I found that using tape to hold the sides of the plastic parts up against the foam while the glue set (epoxy or aliphatic) worked well enough .

The wire struts and spreader bars that come with the kit are not suitable for the Slow Stick, so I bent new longer ones using the same size wires. I mounted the floats 12 3/4” apart and 6 1/2” below the fuselage stick, which makes the outward angle of the struts very close to the ideal 45 degrees. The step is about 1” behind the airplanes CG and the fuselage stick is about 2 degrees positive to the top of the floats. I bent the top of my new struts to match the shape of the Slow Stick’s main landing gear struts and I made a plywood sandwich to clamp them to the fuselage stick. At first the these struts seemed awfully flexible, but they worked very well on the water.

The Slow Stick is basically a water proof airplane. Give the ESC and all of the electrical connectors a bath in CorrosionX or similar waterproofer and you don’t have to worry about dunking it. Fresh water will not hurt the battery, motor, servos or receiver. I have flipped the Stick several times, retrieved it, blown the water off and taken off again.

Flying on floats

Flying the Slow Stick on floats is even more fun, if that is possible. It “levitates” off the water. The pendulum effect of the floats and the slightly higher wing loading seems to calm the airplane down a bit and gives it a bit more wind tolerance.

The only caution is not to try and run too long on the water. The GWS floats will tend to dart off to one side or the other if you try to hold the airplane on the water after flying speed is reached. Just let it take itself off. And don’t try to taxi crosswind, but that’s good advice for any float plane.

“Slow, smooth, relaxing and fun”. I am going to take the Slow Stick to every float fly I attend. Nothing is better for the late evenings after a busy, exciting and noisy day of flying the bigger stuff.
Thanks! good info
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:13 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
jrf2 did you make you two landing gears? I used 2 stock landing gear wires to attach mine? will they work if I spread my width on my floats?
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:40 PM
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jul 2004
78 Posts
Float spread

The width between the floats is the important part. (And the position of the step in relation to the CG, but you seem to have that about right.) If you spread the standard landing gear wide enough, you will not have enough height to keep the prop out of the water. (There should be at least an inch between the bottom of the prop and the top of the floats.)

You may be able to do it by making longer spreaders and then figuring out a way to attach them to the bottom of the standard landing gear, but that might start to get heavy and weak.

The best way is to make two new landing gear. You can buy the wire at any hobby shop and bend it with a pair of plyers.

Jim
jrf2 is offline Find More Posts by jrf2
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:39 AM
Art Schmitz
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Jan 2012
392 Posts
Common practice is to have the float centerlines 1/4 the wingspan apart.
Floats should be rigidly mounted. FWIW.
lindart is offline Find More Posts by lindart
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:22 AM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,406 Posts
You might even want to go a little wider than that, especially for a 3-channel model since you can't counter a crosswind with ailerons. I've flown models with floats spaced at almost 1/3 span and they had great handling on the water.
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:01 PM
United States, FL, Gotha
Joined Dec 2008
9 Posts
Seniorita Floats

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosenguy View Post
Gator, your Seniorita looks nice. Where did you get the foam floats?
-Burt
The floats are from Sea Plane Supply (flat bottom 36" long). http://www.seaplanesupply.com/
Gator Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Gator Hawk
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:12 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Hawk View Post
The floats are from Sea Plane Supply (flat bottom 36" long). http://www.seaplanesupply.com/
They also make a nice set up for a slowstick. joe http://www.seaplanesupply.com/ss%20boat.html
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:54 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,119 Posts
I was about to offer the same advice. The Flying Boat conversion for the SlowStick is probably the best way to get started on the water... very stable and plenty of flotation, and it would be easy to add a water rudder if you wanted. I made mine a little differently, but you get the idea.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:16 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerdinger View Post
Hi everyone I am starting this thread for you to post pics of Anything that floats and flies.
This thread seems to have turned into a discussion.
Jimmy Hoffa is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Hoffa
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Hoffa View Post
This thread seems to have turned into a discussion.
Just helping a some fellow flyers find some floats so they can post here with pictures of their float plane too. Here is mine again if you have to post a picture . joe
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:13 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
I don't mind a little discussion, but yes lets keep it mosly pics and comments about the pics.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:48 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Some beautiful birds on these pages!!!
A couple of years back i stuck a set of Reach fiberglass floats on a little foamie WaCo YMF, the thing flys very nicely from either water or grass, it has proven to be a nice relaxing little combo.
r/c waco floatplane touch and go's (7 min 49 sec)

Waco at lake gnangara (6 min 50 sec)

Have just started framing up one of Ivan's 480 Solent's looking forward to some big flyingboat action in the future

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumps View Post
Some beautiful birds on these pages!!!
A couple of years back i stuck a set of Reach fiberglass floats on a little foamie WaCo YMF, the thing flys very nicely from either water or grass, it has proven to be a nice relaxing little combo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gmWA...dd0TKRjXhYIRzA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18hGQ...dd0TKRjXhYIRzA

Have just started framing up one of Ivan's 480 Solent's looking forward to some big flyingboat action in the future

Cheers
Craig
Wow it was windy when you flew it and glad to hear we are getting another solent too, start a build thread and send me a link please. joe
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:32 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,119 Posts
Hey Trumps, I remember that Waco... I believe it's the same 39"ws foamie sold from Hobby Lobby but here in the USA ours is yellow. Inspired by your plane, I have been considering putting floats on the larger 50"ws Dynam Waco from Nitroplanes... I just need to find appropriately sized floats for it.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Nov 26, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:42 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Yup, same same as the hobby lobby one, pretty sure these things are near on the uncrashable plane, doubles as a good drift car on wet grass, sometimes i do complete circuits sideways on our oval without taking off, much fun Perth is a windy little city unfortunately, we just have to deal with it or else we would never get to fly.
If you ever see a set of these Reach floats they are well worth a look, beautiful quality, and light weight!

build thread started for the solent here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773224

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps