Beautiful........just stunning

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:33 PM
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined Mar 2009
119 Posts
Very nice cmelak. Great job on the build.
You really got me with the two parts of R/C I like the best. Flying off the water and biplanes.
It doesn't get any better than that!!!

Dave
Detroit Dave is offline Find More Posts by Detroit Dave
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:06 AM
United States, FL, Gotha
Joined Dec 2008
9 Posts
Seniorita EP on floats

Here are some pictures of my Seniorita EP (64" span) on foam floats.
Gator Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Gator Hawk
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:56 AM
Foster City, CA
Joined Dec 2002
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Hawk View Post
Here are some pictures of my Seniorita EP (64" span) on foam floats.
Gator, your Seniorita looks nice. Where did you get the foam floats?
-Burt
brosenguy is online now Find More Posts by brosenguy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:14 AM
Foster City, CA
Joined Dec 2002
182 Posts
Hyperion Edge on Gee Bee floats

Here's a photo of my Hyperion Edge 540t 25e on blow molded floats. Flies on a 3cell 2500mah Lipo.
brosenguy is online now Find More Posts by brosenguy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:17 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,115 Posts
Got some more flights in on the Goose over the weekend:

Foamie 59" RC Grumman Goose (4 min 9 sec)

Foamie 59" RC Grumman Goose : Flight 3 (5 min 34 sec)

Foamie 59" RC Grumman Goose : Flight 4 (0 min 0 sec)
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:27 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
Wow ! looks like you got your goose flying well warhead . I have been on that lake with 13 ft high waves one day and i wont do that again. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:31 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
My first try at a floater! wish me luck!

If you see anything I did wrong, let me know? newby! especially float planes! but I do have a land Slow slick and fly it quite well...
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:47 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Very nice Tupelo! Hard to tell from the pics but the step on the floats should be directly under the CG or a bit back. It probably wont be on the floats long anyway. Where did the floats come from?

Don
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:26 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydanz View Post
Very nice Tupelo! Hard to tell from the pics but the step on the floats should be directly under the CG or a bit back. It probably wont be on the floats long anyway. Where did the floats come from?

Don
Tower Hobbies, GWS 535, Thanks for the info on the step down local to COG! good to know! I love these sticks!
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:55 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,058 Posts
Just as long as it balences right and the step is under the CoG, you should be good.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:36 AM
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined Mar 2009
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosenguy View Post
Gator, your Seniorita looks nice. Where did you get the foam floats?
-Burt
Not sure where he got his foam floats but I get mine from Plane Fun Floats. They are cut from foam and sheeted with balsa. You'll have to some serious searching to find a better float.
http://www.planefunfloats.com/

Click the link and check out the floats.
Here is my Goldberg Cub with Plane Fun Floats.

Dave
Detroit Dave is offline Find More Posts by Detroit Dave
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:41 AM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
767 Posts
every single plane except my cub is on http://slocanfloats.ca/ floats. only reason the cub isnt is i didnt build it and the previous guy did the built up CG floats for it 25 years ago.
furballll is online now Find More Posts by furballll
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:05 AM
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jul 2004
77 Posts
Slow Stick of Floats

Tupeloflyer:

Very nice job, but your floats are too close together. Your airplane will blow over in the slightest crosswind.

A couple of years ago I wrote a product review on the Slow Stick for Model Aviation. Part of that review concerned installing floats on it. Here is that part of the text.

Floats

GWS makes a nice, lightweight set of floats that are just the right size for the Slow Stick. So of course I had to try it on the water!

The floats come as a kit that requires the assembler to trim and glue the vacuum formed plastic bottoms to the molded foam tops. A hardwood backbone and wire struts are included along with all of the necessary hardware. Water rudders are not included, and under the calm conditions the Slow Stick needs, they are not needed.

Gluing the top and bottom of the floats together can be a challenge, but I found that using tape to hold the sides of the plastic parts up against the foam while the glue set (epoxy or aliphatic) worked well enough .

The wire struts and spreader bars that come with the kit are not suitable for the Slow Stick, so I bent new longer ones using the same size wires. I mounted the floats 12 3/4” apart and 6 1/2” below the fuselage stick, which makes the outward angle of the struts very close to the ideal 45 degrees. The step is about 1” behind the airplanes CG and the fuselage stick is about 2 degrees positive to the top of the floats. I bent the top of my new struts to match the shape of the Slow Stick’s main landing gear struts and I made a plywood sandwich to clamp them to the fuselage stick. At first the these struts seemed awfully flexible, but they worked very well on the water.

The Slow Stick is basically a water proof airplane. Give the ESC and all of the electrical connectors a bath in CorrosionX or similar waterproofer and you don’t have to worry about dunking it. Fresh water will not hurt the battery, motor, servos or receiver. I have flipped the Stick several times, retrieved it, blown the water off and taken off again.

Flying on floats

Flying the Slow Stick on floats is even more fun, if that is possible. It “levitates” off the water. The pendulum effect of the floats and the slightly higher wing loading seems to calm the airplane down a bit and gives it a bit more wind tolerance.

The only caution is not to try and run too long on the water. The GWS floats will tend to dart off to one side or the other if you try to hold the airplane on the water after flying speed is reached. Just let it take itself off. And don’t try to taxi crosswind, but that’s good advice for any float plane.

“Slow, smooth, relaxing and fun”. I am going to take the Slow Stick to every float fly I attend. Nothing is better for the late evenings after a busy, exciting and noisy day of flying the bigger stuff.
jrf2 is offline Find More Posts by jrf2
Last edited by jrf2; Nov 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jul 2004
77 Posts
Slow Stick Floats

Here are some photos:

Jim
jrf2 is offline Find More Posts by jrf2