Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:13 AM
United Kingdom, England, Wigan
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Go on then! while you all like Cubs.... this mornings maiden on floats!

now despite it looking ok on the video it was a real handfull, i was constantly fighting the roll axis on the ailerons and basically steering it round on the rudder trying to keep it level and smooth on the ailerons... it was heart pounding stuff..

flight 2 after winding out the aileron pushrods a couple of turns... there is a landing/take off and landing later in the flight... looks nice though!

72" Electric Piper Cub on floats (4 min 13 sec)

couple of stills on the water...

after getting the model home and checking it over i found the right hand aileron horn was seriously loose, the screws holding it had pulled free of the aileron and the aileron had about 3/8" free movement...

wonder why it was a handfull?

David
how much is offline Find More Posts by how much
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:45 AM
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined Mar 2009
142 Posts
I picked up a project seaplane at a swap last week. It's a PBY with a span of 71 inches. The fuselage is pretty much built and sheeted. The wing is framed, but the ailerons are missing. It's missing the cowls and the blisters and part of the canopy.
I'm working on figuring out what plans the plane was built from. The wing screws to the pylon and then the pylon screws to the fuselage. It has 2 pins in front and two screws at the back .
The wing has retractable tip floats. The linkage is already set up. I need to make up a servo tray and mount a servo to get it working.
Will be quite a bit of work still, all the fiddly stuff that takes a long time still has to be done.
Here are some pics of what I got.

Dave
Detroit Dave is online now Find More Posts by Detroit Dave
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:32 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,719 Posts
What's the Catalina span Dave and is it electric power? It looks a little bit like the Ivan Pettigrew design, but I suppose they all look much the same in balsa! If it has a vertical main spar (ribs cut to glue either side) with 3mm sq hardwood spars top and bottom it may well be one of IPs.
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Mar 2009
142 Posts
The wing span from tip to tip with the floats up is 71 inches. Drop the floats into take-off position and it's 68.25.
The ribs run from the leading edge all the way back to the trailing edge with 1/4 balsa spars top and bottom. It hasn't got any shear webs between the ribs and that kind of scares me. Without the original plans I don't know if it calls for them and he never got that far in the build.
I don't know if it was designed for g;ow or electric. I want to think glow because there are holes in the firewall for throttle and fuel lines. The other thing is there is very little room to try to put in a fuel tank.
Still haven't decided what to do with it. If I go electric I have to buy both motors and speed controllers. Glow, I have an OS .25 and an OS .35. Not sure which size I'd need, but only need to buy one engine. The Kyosho PBY had a 68.5 span and flew with .15s or .25s.
I'm still looking around for plans in that size range to get more ideas as to flying glow or electric.
I'm not in a big hurry. It's still early in the building season.
Dave
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:13 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,719 Posts
Mmm, it's not the IP design then. There was a plan published in FSM some years ago, but that was before I was interested in flying boats. Best of luck! The IP designs are listed on his website www.ivansplans.com if you wanted to have a look. He does two, 100" and 84" versions.
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:50 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
You say having no shear webs concerns you. Why not add them since the wing isn't sheeted yet.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by how much View Post
Go on then! while you all like Cubs.... this mornings maiden on floats!

now despite it looking ok on the video it was a real handfull, i was constantly fighting the roll axis on the ailerons and basically steering it round on the rudder trying to keep it level and smooth on the ailerons... it was heart pounding stuff..

flight 2 after winding out the aileron pushrods a couple of turns... there is a landing/take off and landing later in the flight... looks nice though!

http://youtu.be/tWNrXgHoXp8

couple of stills on the water...

after getting the model home and checking it over i found the right hand aileron horn was seriously loose, the screws holding it had pulled free of the aileron and the aileron had about 3/8" free movement...

wonder why it was a handfull?

David
Nice flying cub david ,i have a 3 cubs now two 80 inch arfs in the box and a 1/3 scale sig cub on 4ft floats i built 20 years ago .After seeing yours fly i might dig them out of storage.
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:03 PM
United States, MN, Bemidji
Joined May 2003
525 Posts
Kyosho PBY

Dave
I have a Kyosho PBY. Flew it a few times with OS 15's. The tanks were small and I had to do a few one engine landings. Also added spray rails as it loved to plow water and was difficult to get on step. Put it in the attic!
I dug it out a couple of years ago and aded .25 electric motors. Used HobbyKing 40 Amp helicopter ESC's with aluminum heat sinks positioned in the pylon. Uses a 4S Lipoly battery. Counter rotating props.
Well it flies great, like a trainer, with the electric motors. No fear of engine outs.
Hope this helps.
Fred
Fred Sanford is offline Find More Posts by Fred Sanford
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Mar 2009
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
You say having no shear webs concerns you. Why not add them since the wing isn't sheeted yet.
That is the plan as of right now. It will have functional wing struts and that will help, but still won't be happy until I get the shear webs put in.
I am still looking at plans, hoping to find out what plans the plane was built from.
Vintage R/C plans out of Howell, Michigan has a PBY with a 72 inch span. That's close enough that it may be those plans. I will contact them and find out for sure.
I got the plane at a swap and the guy I got it from bought the plane from an estate. I*'m at a dead end there.
Still have to finish repairing my P-38 before I get into the PBY. Got dumb thumbs and did a number on it. Busted both wing tips, both fuselages, both fins, and the horizontal stab. Didn't hold up well at all during the cartwheel but now it's almost ready to start covering. It flies with a pair of OS .25 LA glow engines.
I know it's not a sea plane but here is a picture of it.

Dave
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:34 PM
Foster City, CA
Joined Dec 2002
185 Posts
Cub on floats

Here's a photo from 2008. 40size Goldberg Anniversary Cub (kit) 72" span, electric powered, Great Planes floats (kit)
Love those cubs.
brosenguy is offline Find More Posts by brosenguy
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosenguy View Post
Here's a photo from 2008. 40size Goldberg Anniversary Cub (kit) 72" span, electric powered, Great Planes floats (kit)
Love those cubs.
What size motor and esc / battery you running in that ? I have been tossing around the idea of making mine electrict .Dave i have that GP p-38all framed up too but i moved on to other builds and need to finish it soon. I think iam going to switch it over to electrict also so i wont have to worry about a deadstick ever. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:17 PM
Foster City, CA
Joined Dec 2002
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
What size motor and esc / battery you running in that ? I have been tossing around the idea of making mine electrict .Dave i have that GP p-38all framed up too but i moved on to other builds and need to finish it soon. I think iam going to switch it over to electrict also so i wont have to worry about a deadstick ever. joe
Joe,
Goldberg Anniversary Cub kit (old die cut kit)
Motor: HXT 50-65B-350 outrunner from Hobby City (now Hobby King) (equiv to AXI 4130/16 or E-flite Power 60)
ESC: hexTronik PRO 80A BESC
14x10 APC E prop
2500mAh 6S (using 2 3cell packs in series)
Weight 7LBS with battery (without floats)
-Burt
brosenguy is offline Find More Posts by brosenguy
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Mar 2009
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
If you built it to the plans, you have about 3 degrees of out thrust built into the plane already. That really helps keep the plane flying straight if one engine quits. If you decide to go electric with it, you should get them back to zero degrees of out thrust and run with opposite rotating props like the full scale had.
The engine out is not so bad on the plane with the out thrust. I played with the engine out problem by taking off with one tank full and one tank half fulL. I stayed high and flew until one engine quit. Cut the throttle back to idle, throttle back up slow and feed in rudder to keep it flying straight. It flew pretty good as long as you turned easy and not towards the direction where the engine was out.
Oh yeah, almost forgot .....
the plane flies like a brick when you chop the throttles.
Gotta get that thing done so I can work on the PBY.

Dave
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:09 AM
Joined Jan 2008
19 Posts
Would like share with you my last model on floats. Probably original BE2 never flown on floats, but I have a lovely lake nearby, a couple of floats hanging on the wall, and ....two plus two makes four, we say here in Italy.

Model is completely scratch built, scale is 1:4, wingspan 108" and weights with floats almost 20 lbs. Motor Turnigy 6374, 200 kv, 8 lipos 5000 mAh, prop APC/E 20x12, flies unbelieveble well for 12 minutes leaving charge enough for lipos safety.

Rgds, carlo
cmelak is offline Find More Posts by cmelak