SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Apr 2008
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit N Run View Post
That is gorgeous!! I like the color combo!
If I didn't have a garage/basement full of planes already, I would make you an offer in a heartbeat!
Thanks HitNRun. Here's a few updated pics. Cowl will be painted soon and struts/jury struts are all done going to paint too. Will be flying this mostly off water so floats are mounted. Pull-pull wires on water rudder. Works slick.
chistech is offline Find More Posts by chistech
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:51 PM
United States, MN, Duluth
Joined Dec 2011
8 Posts
That is a beautiful plane
Cannonball1220 is offline Find More Posts by Cannonball1220
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:51 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,711 Posts
Here are a few pix of my flying partner's (northropn9m - Here on RC Groups, we've been building together since 5th Grade, and we're approaching old fart status now!) 1st generation, Hangar 9, 1/4 scale Cub, he's been flying it for almost 12 years now! She's fresh out of a complete overhaul and recovering and is powered with a Saito 180 - she's great on both wheels and floats! And also his scratch built Barnes BF-7A Silver Lancer! I think he's a pretty talented guy, it's great to have a friend with similar interests to hash out new 'ideas' with! ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Jul 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Corrected the Cub's age.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:03 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,917 Posts
Love the BF-7A Silver Lancer. What a beauty!

Dave-
foamdave is online now Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:53 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
That Lancer is Sweet.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:55 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,721 Posts
Here's something a bit more utilitarian! It's my own plan of a Britten-Norman Islander with the float conversion they tried as a mock-up but never got round to producing. The model is 72" span and built along "Ivan Pettigrew" lines from balsa with Solarfilm covering and weighs about 2 kg.

The model has had a chequered history. It first flew a year or so ago at Christchurch Harbour and then off grass at our field, but never had enough power and needed a better, stronger UC than I had built. Other things got in the way and she sat on a shelf for a year, but recently I moved my workshop from the house to a shed in the garden, and the Islander got to the top of the pile.

I soldered up a UC from 2mm wire and re-attached the floats. This arrangement is now very strong and (I hope) durable. I put in new more powerful motors and took her up to our reservoir flying site a couple of weeks ago when we had our 5 days of Summer.

Perfect! She tracks straight on take-off, flies as if on rails and lands really nicely. There is a landing sequence posted on Flickr by a friend here and she's in the picture below. If you want to know why she is sitting on a mat of weed, the slightly embarrassing answer is here at post #39.
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Aug 04, 2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: span
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:43 AM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
Minimag

Minimag on custom floats following this Float Design Theory.

Worked out very well. It's a great flier and easily fits in the trunk of any car. 40" wingspan.
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:19 AM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Sep 2011
69 Posts
Here's a video of my Black Horse Liberty 182.
Cessna (1 min 42 sec)
Gixxerjack is online now Find More Posts by Gixxerjack
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:24 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,240 Posts
Newest float plane

Here are some pictures of my newest float plane. It is a wmparkflyers.com Mako. It is a great flying plane, gets off the water easily, and is extremely aerobatic in the air. There is a thread here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696964 with pictures, videos and the free plans download. wmparkflyers.com is offering kits also http://www.wmparkflyers.com/Pages/MakoSeaPlane.aspx.
r/cdawg is online now Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:51 PM
United States, MN, Bemidji
Joined May 2003
525 Posts
Having Fun!

The only thing more fun than a Slow Stick Flying Boat is a "customized" version. I'm quickly wearing this one out.
Fred Sanford is offline Find More Posts by Fred Sanford
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:52 AM
Art Schmitz
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Jan 2012
392 Posts
I know what Fred is saying ! I built several Jim Spencer Slow Stick Sea Planes and they served to introduce many to water flying. All mine had water rudders and 7 degrees of up-thrust.
Best bang for the buck.
lindart is offline Find More Posts by lindart
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Apr 2008
382 Posts
Finally done and ready for maiden. Hope to fly it tomorrow. All painted up and balanced.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:49 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,928 Posts
Here is a picture of my next project.

build thread here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1719075

Greets,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:42 PM
United States, MI, Clio
Joined Mar 2004
25 Posts
Airfield Cessna 182 on Hobbyzone Floats

Had to modify the floats some to get the plane to sit in the water nice. Have video but I cannot get it off the camera?

This is the before and after shots.
irelandchad is offline Find More Posts by irelandchad
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Apr 2008
382 Posts
Love the look of a scale Cessna on float but want a larger, fuel one. Haven't decided to go with an ARF or build one from a kit or plans. Most likely a 40 or 60 size. Yours looks great.