builder is offline Find More Posts by builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:47 PM
Ocala Fl
Joined Jul 2006
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
My Cub had a sub-fin on the bottom of the fuselage. I think it was to help add side area behind the CG to counter the side area of the floats. Yours may be not need the fin, but if it seems to wobble in the air, you might want to consider adding one.

McD
The subfin is not required, I also fly the 1/4 scale H9 cub on floats----an electric version----and it also does not require a sub fin. I flew a full scale Pa-11----100hp on floats for many hours and it did not need a subfin. Now take a Citabria on floats----it needed all the help it could get from all fins on the rear----it was not designed for floats. A friend of mine had one on floats (full scale and it was a POS). If you have good rudder skills subfins are not usually needed on planes that have sufficient rudder area especially need the horizontal fin and elevator and of course the rudder skills keep you ahead of the drag and pendulum effect of the floats.
sherman89 is offline Find More Posts by sherman89
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:58 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
How about flying boats ?, (not always classed as 'float' planes).

Scratch built Sunderland, 90" span, Depron foam, electric powered.
Fans of the Sunderland might enjoy the below linked site http://www.airwaveyachts.com.au/Aircraft/Index.html If you scan down the page a bit you'll find heaps of pics of Geoff's 11ft model along with some of the mini battles that used to fought with the scale boat club. I used to fly my float plane at the same location and used to help Geoff with his launches on occasion.
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:10 AM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Blohm and Voss Bv-238

Blohm and Voss Bv-238 seaplane built by my good friend David Plummer. It's truly a one of a kind and the only electric or gas RC version in the world that I am aware of.

David tells me that she has never flown. I hope to change that this spring or summer. Airfoil change might take place and a scale recovering.

Here are the specs....

Designer/Builder: D.F. Plummer

Date Started: 1 November 1999 Date Completed: 10 February 2001
Model Data/Statistics:
Scale: 1/18
Wing Span: 129; Fuselage Length: 101.5
Wing Area: 1693in2/11.75; MAC = 13.12; Aspect Ratio = 9.83
Wing Airfoil: NACA 23021 (Possible rework to a clark Y airfoil in 2012 TBD)
Stabilizer:
Span = 36.1; Airfoil: NACA 00135
Vertical Stabilizer/Rudder:
Height: 15.2"; Airfoil: NACA 0011
Motors: TBD
Props: MAS 3-blade, 10 x 6
Total Weight: as built - 394 oz/25lbs
Construction:
Balsa stick with most areas covered with 1/16 balsa
sheet; some light plywood was used in certain areas (wing torque
box, etc.); some blue foam was used in some area

Enjoy the pics.
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:54 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Tell David he did very well i like bigger seaplanes and he went over the top.I hope he posts some pictures of the maiden. : ) joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:22 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,503 Posts
My 58" span depron Short C-Class boat, just ARTF today. All-depron construction, weighs 2 lb. 4 IPS motors split left and right for throttle mixed with rudder, 2200 mAh, 2 cell. Just waiting for some props, and off we go!

The finish is with store-mixed emulsion paint and the engine cowls are Lyle's Golden Syrup squeezy bottle bottoms, a very good scale match.

The water is really green at this time of year...
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:41 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike View Post
My 58" span depron Short C-Class boat, just ARTF today. All-depron construction, weighs 2 lb. 4 IPS motors split left and right for throttle mixed with rudder, 2200 mAh, 2 cell. Just waiting for some props, and off we go!

The finish is with store-mixed emulsion paint and the engine cowls are Lyle's Golden Syrup squeezy bottle bottoms, a very good scale match.

The water is really green at this time of year...
I have been following your build thread Mike and she turned out great .I hope you get some flight pictures of her soon also. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:33 AM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Mike,

I stumbled across your thread a few days ago.

Well done!

Joe,

Will definitely post pics of the maiden.

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:56 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,503 Posts
I should add my own design Canadair Scoopers to the thread, all own design: I built a 6' span balsa CL-415 about 3 years ago and despite three fairly large repairs is still going strong. This design flies very well indeed off water or grass and you can see more about it here and there is a plan and kit of parts available from RC Model World.

I then built a 4' span depron CL 215 that I took to Chilliwack in 2010 and modified it after a series of excursions into a 415. This only lasted a few months and was eventually a victim of a TX fault. The plan was published in one of the UK magazines.

It's hardware is now installed in a freelance version of the Britten-Norman Islander dressed up as a seaplane (Based on the Ross Islander amphibian project).
Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:08 PM
United States, MN, Bemidji
Joined May 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike View Post
I should add my own design Canadair Scoopers to the thread, all own design: I built a 6' span balsa CL-415 about 3 years ago and despite three fairly large repairs is still going strong. This design flies very well indeed off water or grass and you can see more about it here and there is a plan and kit of parts available from RC Model World.

I then built a 4' span depron CL 215 that I took to Chilliwack in 2010 and modified it after a series of excursions into a 415. This only lasted a few months and was eventually a victim of a TX fault. The plan was published in one of the UK magazines.

It's hardware is now installed in a freelance version of the Britten-Norman Islander dressed up as a seaplane (Based on the Ross Islander amphibian project).
Really like that Islander.Will the design be published?
Fred Sanford is offline Find More Posts by Fred Sanford
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:04 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
Really like that Islander.Will the design be published?
Good question Fred - I didn't think anyone would be terribly interested in the Islander seaplane project, but I have all the bits and pieces to draw up the plan.

The cowls were moulded over here by Steve at Vortex Vacforms and I have two spares, and he has the master. I should really have got the cockpit/hatch moulded as well, but in the end I made it out of pink foam.

I will draw up the plan in the next month or so and PM you when it's ready.

Mike
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:45 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,096 Posts
I'm also interested in the Ross Islander. Looks a lot less blocky than the CL215/415 but still a simple design that could be built up from FFF or wire-cut from solid foam.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:12 AM
Ocala Fl
Joined Jul 2006
266 Posts
The floats are painted and the cub is re-rigged!!!
sherman89 is offline Find More Posts by sherman89
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:11 PM
United States, MN, Bemidji
Joined May 2003
511 Posts
Here is my Slow Stick S-39. Modified using jimsp's Slow Stick Flying Boat as a starting point. A lot of fun to build and fly. THANKS jimsp!
Fred Sanford is offline Find More Posts by Fred Sanford
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:31 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,912 Posts
Fred, I swear we were cast out of the same mold. See my post 231.

Fred
https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....