HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2011, 07:16 PM
Joined Jun 2005
233 Posts
Discussion
Walkalong gliders with props (video link)

Here are my latest creations:
Cool Walkalong glider with 4 propellers (0 min 48 sec)

and,
Bigger, better walkalong glider with 6 propellers! Epic Glider Time! (hehe, j/k) (0 min 52 sec)
Flyingwingbat1 is offline Find More Posts by Flyingwingbat1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2011, 12:12 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
thats cool, are they paper props? some pictures would be good also
derk is online now Find More Posts by derk
Old May 18, 2011, 12:49 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,635 Posts
What is the material used on these latest gliders? It sort of looks like really thin Depron or meat tray foam.

I can't see this foam construction as being as light as the previous built up stick and film styles. So it would appear that the belief that the models needed to be super light was in error.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old May 18, 2011, 01:22 PM
yes, its a flying lamb :)
Bitola, Republic of Macedonia
Joined Apr 2009
532 Posts
It looks like expanded styrofoam, that stuff is light enough to replace stick and film I suppose.

And if it is, the planes are quite crafty considering that it's impossible to sand, and can be cut clean only by the thinnest of razors.
draganbt is offline Find More Posts by draganbt
Old May 19, 2011, 02:59 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
i would recognize that foam anywhere, its hotwire cut lightweight eps foam. well, i guess it could have been cut by a long straight blade, but thats no easy task.
also, it isnt that it is lighter than sticks and film, nobody tried to claim that it was, but it is more durable, easier to get nice lines and faster construction time. you could make a model like this in less than an hour if your materials are already cut.
some of my lightest scale rc planes are built with the same construction, it is fast and looks decent.
derk is online now Find More Posts by derk
Old May 20, 2011, 01:05 AM
Joined Jun 2005
233 Posts
Hi all, thanks for the comments. Anyways, the gliders are made from roughly 1 lb density EPS. The fuselages are around 3/16" thick, hot wire cut "at the factory", whereas the wings and tails are bandsaw-cut to around 1/20" thick by yours truly. The fuselage profiles were cut on a laser at my school, but I had to cut the wings and tails w/ scissors because the laser is apparently too powerful for such thin foam.

The props are made of paper-each is made of a tiny paper square rolled into a tube for the hub, then the tube is glued transversely across the middle of a 1" by 1/4" paper strip for the blades. Once the glue dries, I twist the blades. The props spin on stripped twist-tie wires.

As far as weight and durability, etc... these planes probably weigh around .7 and 1.1 grams, respectively, but these are my best educated guesses w/o a scale to verify. I've made foamies w/ much lower wingloadings than these two, but they don't have all the cool spinny-things on them, and they are more delicate.

In my experience, the foam gliders in general are much more durable and forgiving of my clumsy handling vs built-up. The big disadvantage of these sorts of foamies is the poorer L/D, due to the rough surface finish and the excess porosity between the foam beads.

Oh, for those wanting pictures, I have hundreds, but you're going to have to stop the videos a lot to see them all I'll see if I can get some decent pics up this weekend.
Flyingwingbat1 is offline Find More Posts by Flyingwingbat1