Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:04 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined May 2011
141 Posts
im guessing cos its a little bigger it will have more power than the 260 and also longer flight times. and cos of the size it will be able to cope in a bit more breeze??
beatlejohn is offline Find More Posts by beatlejohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2011, 11:44 AM
ClubHeli.com
Allentown, PA
Joined Mar 2009
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlejohn View Post
i live in australia rick and was wondering will the charger thats included work ok here or will i need an adaptor? or could i use my 260 charger??
You'll just need a plug adapter. The power supply is rated to 240.
Rick Hauler is offline Find More Posts by Rick Hauler
Old Jun 09, 2011, 11:54 AM
ClubHeli.com
Allentown, PA
Joined Mar 2009
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
I have the Solo Pro 260a V2 which is my current favourite - fast and tough, great for camping with that tx charge feature.

I had been tempted by the Free Spirit 220a which seems to now be discontinued and available at close-out prices ($60). I can see that the 220a and new 328a are completely different helis.

My question is this - why are they so different?

Is the 328a simply a larger and faster 260a based heli (which it obviously resembles) or is there something of the 220a in there? Or is it ground up new?

I am trying to determine what new flying experience the ~$145 (shipped to Canada) will bring me over my little Solo Pro V2.
The 220A Free Spirit isn't officially discontinued, but it's definitely on it's way out. The 328A wouldn't be considered a direct replacement. It's a pinch smaller, and weighs less. Some like the 220A because of it's individual components, which makes it "upgradeable". The 328A is simliar to the Solo PRO 260A in the fact that it essentially is what it is. The test video I shot was in a 3-4 mph breeze, and it handled it well. I did take it out in a gustier wind, and it didn't fair too well. Controllable, but if you don't keep the momentum it can be tough to get going again and it gets pushed around abit. NE is also releasing the 228A in a few months, which looks to be more of a Free Spirit successor. No official specs are available, but I've seen detailed pics, and it looks to be the 220A replacement.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 11:59 AM
ClubHeli.com
Allentown, PA
Joined Mar 2009
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
I wonder what the flight times of the 328 will be? I would hope for at least 8 minutes.
So far I've flown the 328A for 6 minutes. I'm being conservative only because I don't have any other batteries, and I want to break it in nice and slow. But after 6 minutes, the heli still has plenty of power, and doesn't show any signs of battery fatigue. But NE's newer cells seem to just conk out vs. a slow power bleed. I'm going to start stretching it a bit more to see how long it can go. You can see my first flight was just over 5 minutes, and the battery was still very healthy.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 02:50 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hauler View Post
So far I've flown the 328A for 6 minutes. I'm being conservative only because I don't have any other batteries, and I want to break it in nice and slow. But after 6 minutes, the heli still has plenty of power, and doesn't show any signs of battery fatigue. But NE's newer cells seem to just conk out vs. a slow power bleed. I'm going to start stretching it a bit more to see how long it can go. You can see my first flight was just over 5 minutes, and the battery was still very healthy.
I found the same with the lipos of the Bravo SX. You get around 5 minutes, and then the battery voltage drops rapidly. On the first flights I was forced to land because the sudden drop caused the tail to loose hold. Reminds me of the Hyperion series of batteries, these show the same behavior, less slow power bleed, and instead a sudden drop. Wise to stay low to the ground later in the flight, when you test how long you can fly the 328.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:58 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Thanks for the info Rick. I did notice the length of your video, but it's hard to judge from a video how much battery life is left at the end of the flight.

6 minutes with power to spare sounds promising, if that can stretch to another minute or two that would be great.

Excited to hear that a possible update to the Free Spirit may be on the way, you don't happen to have any photos of it do you? Couldn't find anything on the net.
Frank_fjs is online now Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:09 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined May 2011
141 Posts
i was thinking of grabbing a free spirit and stocking up on parts. at the moment they are a pretty good price. very excited to hear about the 228a
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:37 AM
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Mar 2011
28 Posts
Hey got a picture for u guys! these helis look awesome u would think the bigger heli would be called the 328 right but its called the 228,weird!
scotty_88 is offline Find More Posts by scotty_88
Old Jun 10, 2011, 04:20 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined May 2011
141 Posts
wow they look very cool
Old Jun 10, 2011, 07:26 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
The 228 looks nice, doesn't seem to be as much information about this one, not many people are talking about it. Seems to be similar to a CB180.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 07:29 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined May 2011
141 Posts
i like the 228 also. red skids and tail boom look great. cant wait for this one to come out. wouldnt mind giving it a spin so make sure u keep us updated on this one rick
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:24 AM
ClubHeli.com
Allentown, PA
Joined Mar 2009
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlejohn View Post
i like the 228 also. red skids and tail boom look great. cant wait for this one to come out. wouldnt mind giving it a spin so make sure u keep us updated on this one rick
The 228A will have all aluminum parts on the head. The tail is still motor driven, but it's an inline motor housed at the end of the tail boom similiar to how Walkera executed it. The question is if it will have decent forward speed. I was never impressed with Walkera's 180's. If the 228A is agile, it will be a great outdoor FP.
NE's release schedule is really hectic this summer. The 328A is in production now, the 180D is coming soon with the 100D following shortly thereafter. The 228A's production schedule hasn't been released to me yet, but we'll need to get our hands on it first before we make a decision to carry it. It's a big heli, and is expensive to import, so we need to be sure it's what we expect it to be.
The 328A, 180D and 100D are no brainers, and will be fully supported.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:34 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
I appreciate all the information that you've been providing Rick, thanks.

I can only imagine that a flybarless 228A will be on the cards at some point, similar in design to the V200D01, which has no problems at all with forwards speed.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:22 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined May 2011
141 Posts
yeh thanks for all the info rick. hope the 228 has enough forward speed. will deff be interested in one of these if it does
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:02 AM
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
New outdoor video:

屋外飛行ハイスピード編 その1 Solo Pro 328 hitec nineeagles outdoor (3 min 10 sec)

The author estimated a test speed 70% of model's capabilities.
helicopcat is offline Find More Posts by helicopcat
Last edited by helicopcat; Jun 12, 2011 at 09:19 AM.