Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palle_Plutt View Post
Part 2 is wrong.
Trim button to use is for throttle.
I just tried, no effect whatsoever. Sub-trim mode, went down 50 clicks, no variation in the speed of the tail rotor. Went back to original trim position, went up 50 clicks this time, again no variation.

Looks like the part of the Rx that's dedicated to the control of the tail rotor is burned out or something. I'll check the Rx later and see whether I can spot the relevant bit.

Thanks everyone for your help!
V-Man is offline Find More Posts by V-Man
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The 2014 Season is On!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:51 PM
It's all Foma ~ K.V.
Joined Oct 2011
21 Posts
Experienced my first breakage.

One of the ball heads from the swash plate broke off (cracked the canopy too, but that is no big deal). Anyway, I rotated the swash plate around and re-attached the "linkage."

This looked correct (the broken ball is now to the rear of the SP). The crash happened at night and I had work the next day, so now a day later when I got back to and fixed the swash plate, etc. I notice I am getting no power. The battery is fully charged (beeps like crazy when I connect it to the charger) and I am pretty sure there was juice showing it working right after the crash.

I checked the connections and they look fine.

I am kind of stumped and looking for suggestions.

New battery, motor or worse?

GBH
GonzoBobH is offline Find More Posts by GonzoBobH
Last edited by GonzoBobH; Oct 30, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:32 PM
It's all Foma ~ K.V.
Joined Oct 2011
21 Posts
Questions on disassembling parts.
There is an easily accessed screw to the receiver mounting.
After taking that out, what is holding the receiver mount on?
Does it just wiggle off?
I wanted to check the receiver (Rx) to make sure it wasn't cracked or something.

GBH
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:36 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoBobH View Post
Questions on disassembling parts.
There is an easily accessed screw to the receiver mounting.
After taking that out, what is holding the receiver mount on?
Does it just wiggle off?
There are two screws on the back plate. They hold both the plate and the Rx board against the helicopter chassis. To remove the Rx you'll have to disassemble the servo arms as well, I think.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:14 PM
It's all Foma ~ K.V.
Joined Oct 2011
21 Posts
V-Man, your reply made me look at the receiver mount again. There was a serial number label on the back. Sure enough, when I removed that, there was the other screw underneath it. Still trying to figure out why I don't have any power...

GBH
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:38 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoBobH View Post
Still trying to figure out why I don't have any power...
Welcome to my world of pain. Though in my case it's not lack of power, it's lack of control... still Rx issues, though.

(I keep a flight log which I transcribe into a spreadsheet after sessions. It calculate things like total airframe flight time and costs. So far, my SP 328 has cost me $60/min of flight -- more expensive than a real heli! )
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:00 AM
It's all Foma ~ K.V.
Joined Oct 2011
21 Posts
I gonna try and keep my wife from reading your post, V-man. Today I bought a soldering kit, rechargeable batteries and charger, a new lipo battery and motor upgrade (which I just got an email from saying it is delayed 5 days...).

The upside is I tore the heli apart and know it a little bit better than I did yesterday!

GBH

PS $60/min of flight -- man, that's just crazy, haha.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:05 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
How do I access it on this Tx?

It's a "brick" type electronic package. I don't think I can change the gyro without changing the whole thing.

And at $35+shipping on top of what I already spent in parts, another Rx brick would make this small helicopter more expensive to own than my new collective-pitch heli!

But hey, I was warned that heli-flying is an expensive hobby! (Mid-life crisis -- I tell my wife that it's still cheaper than a convertible...)
yes cheaper than a convertable, we could spend a few hundred on booze and cigaretts and have nothing to show for it . At least we have a box of used up batteries and and broken parts plus 2 or three broken helis to show .
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:23 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytester View Post
yes cheaper than a convertable, we could spend a few hundred on booze and cigaretts and have nothing to show for it . At least we have a box of used up batteries and and broken parts plus 2 or three broken helis to show .
Well, the 328 does look great on the shelf...

Jokes aside, I talked about my Rx issues with a colleague at work that used to do specialized electronic assembly (custom medical instruments, I think) in his youth. He says that while it would be possible to identify and replace the burned-out transistor (if that's the trouble), it would be a major pain in the butt. I may disassemble the Rx and bring it to him to get his opinion, but his advice was to just get a new one.

(Which I may do later still. But for the time being, I have plenty of other toys to keep me amused, including my first CCPM heli. )
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:24 AM
It's all Foma ~ K.V.
Joined Oct 2011
21 Posts
If I am to have these extended waits (waiting to repair or for parts), and want to spend time between work and classes doing something other than working and studying -- both of which I do very well, thank you -- I thought I might get another helicopter.

Knowing that I just, just started with the SP 328, any recommendations for a second one? One more of the same? Something smaller?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

GBH
Last edited by GonzoBobH; Nov 01, 2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 07:06 AM
Pontiac my other Obsession
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Jul 2010
719 Posts
Hey BobH I dig the new avatar, I was privileged to have the opportunity to build one of the stunt cars used in the Punisher movie (2004). It was great fun and I still like watching some of the stunts the team pulled off for the film.

To a second heli you can get a BNF 328 from Hobby King for $66. (62. if you have an acct and sit and wait for a popup) what that would mean is everything new again and your original for back up parts... thats pretty appealing.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

If you like the NE product line they have several other new options, in both micro FP and CP helis all at great prices.

Right now I am flying the Walkera Genius CP more than anything else. It is a big step from a FP heli but it is a great flying, very tough little heli!
I got mine from WOW hobbies but there are several vendors and I am not sure who has the best prices.
Pontiaddict is offline Find More Posts by Pontiaddict
Last edited by Pontiaddict; Nov 01, 2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:24 AM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
Joined Oct 2011
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiaddict View Post
Hey BobH I dig the new avatar, I was privileged to have the opportunity to build one of the stunt cars used in the Punisher movie (2004). It was great fun and I still like watching some of the stunts the team pulled off for the film.

To a second heli you can get a BNF 328 from Hobby King for $66. (62. if you have an acct and sit and wait for a popup) what that would mean is everything new again and your original for back up parts... thats pretty appealing.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

If you like the NE product line they have several other new options, in both micro FP and CP helis all at great prices.

Right now I am flying the Walkera Genius CP more than anything else. It is a big step from a FP heli but it is a great flying, very tough little heli!
I got mine from WOW hobbies but there are several vendors and I am not sure who has the best prices.
I do agree with the second 328 idea. I spent about 55.00 on parts,to have some spares I forgot to order fly bars which i broke the next day, so I could have had a new unit with everythinmg including rx board for 62 plus shipping.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:11 AM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiaddict View Post
To a second heli you can get a BNF 328 from Hobby King for $66.
Not a bad idea but I find the price annoying. The complete set, with battery, spare blades, charger, screwdriver and Tx, is $77 at HK. Given that batteries are $7-9 each (depending on where you buy them), and blades are a couple of bucks, you might as well get another full set.

Now if they were selling it for $45 or so, I'd go for it in a heartbeat...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:25 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
Joined Oct 2011
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
Not a bad idea but I find the price annoying. The complete set, with battery, spare blades, charger, screwdriver and Tx, is $77 at HK. Given that batteries are $7-9 each (depending on where you buy them), and blades are a couple of bucks, you might as well get another full set.

Now if they were selling it for $45 or so, I'd go for it in a heartbeat...
plus tx and charger, blades, battery I think 45.00 is right
Old Nov 02, 2011, 10:05 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,475 Posts
Anyone has seen the stand-alone heli offered anywhere else? I've looked online everywhere and only Hobby King seems to have it (and then only in yellow). It would be nice to do some price comparisons...

(Also looking for a dark blue Bravo SX in EZBind -- i.e. heli-only -- format. Club Heli is sold out and everyone else has only the RTF set. I don't need more transmitters in the house!)
RCG Plus Member