HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:48 PM
United States, OH, Centerburg
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
Thanks for your quick response. I just started flying a week or so before Christmas w/ a Syma S032 3 channel and already decided to get something in a 4 channel w/ easily replacable batteries. So I got a Helizone Lightning/WL Toys V911 a couple of days ago and am making the transition. However, even though I have a more colorful canopy coming, the V911 seems a little small (to see) and think the 328A might be a better candidate. I've met a group of guys who meet at a local church gym once a week and I can easily imagine losing sight of the smaller bird in there.

I drug you through all of that so you'll know it's probably going to be a while before I work up to agressive flying. But I would like to know what the flybar and blade mods do to the flying?

Also, the PCB issues you mentioned , are they associated w/ particular runs?

Incidently, I really like the looks of yours - flames are always a good choice.
bluesman77 is offline Find More Posts by bluesman77
Last edited by bluesman77; Jan 06, 2013 at 08:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:44 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,833 Posts
Be aware S/P328 flys decent but is very fragile compared to V911. Mine pinion gear fell out, and replaced it with locktite and again broke free. Then appied ca. glue and lock tite and so far holding.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:49 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman77 View Post
Thanks for your quick response. I just started flying a week or so before Christmas w/ a Syma S032 3 channel and already decided to get something in a 4 channel w/ easily replacable batteries. So I got a Helizone Lightning/WL Toys V911 a couple of days ago and am making the transition. However, even though I have a more colorful canopy coming, the V911 seems a little small (to see) and think the 328A might be a better candidate. I've met a group of guys who meet at a local church gym once a week and I can easily imagine losing sight of the smaller bird in there.

I drug you through all of that so you'll know it's probably going to be a while before I work up to agressive flying. But I would like to know what the flybar and blade mods do to the flying?

==> For regular flying the 328a is very stable and predictable in calm to very light wind conditions. But agressive, high speed turns usually result in a sideways wash-out that can only be recovered from with lots of altitude and even then is difficult.

Xtreme swash = more precise control
Xtreme flybar = allows high speed turns & more agressive flying
220a blades = improved handling and speed without sacrificing flight time, slightly less stable hover

Also, the PCB issues you mentioned , are they associated w/ a particular runs?

==> It seemed like the newer pcb's had a higher failure rate on both the 260a and the 328a.

Incidently, I really like the looks of yours - flames are always a good choice.
==> I would like to echo something that Heli Pad said another thread. Fly your heli in stock form until you have mastered it before making any mods. Then you will know what, if anything, you want to change to suit your flying style. Each pilot mods for different reasons that may not match up with yours and you may, in fact, not like the way a modded heli flys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Be aware S/P328 flys decent but is very fragile compared to V911. Mine pinion gear fell out, and replaced it with locktite and again broke free. Then appied ca. glue and lock tite and so far holding.
The only thing I ever break on my 328a is a flybar arm which is replaced with 1 screw. I always keep extra arms and weights. I fly mostly over grass.

I do agree that the 328a is more fragile than the v911.

The SP 328a is still a heli that I enjoy flying. It flys well in my back yard and is equally at home in an open field. My mods, which were discovered by forum member bobepine, make it fly exactly the way I like it.

Are there better choices for your money now? A little more research should help you answer that.

regards . . . g.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:26 AM
United States, OH, Centerburg
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
Thank you both for your input - it gave me a lot of food for thought. With just poking around in my basement, the idea of hard crashes w/ a heavier bird & the higher impact/resulting damage never occured to me. I have to admit, the size of my S032 really appeals to me more than the V911's just because I can see it better; which drew me to the 328a. Maybe after I replace the black canopy & blades w/ the red & white parts, it will become visible enough to see at a distance. Actually, the thought of adding a light like the S032's has crossed my mind, though that would be a pesky weight adder.

I've got some time and eventually warm weather will return to Ohio, rain will wash the salt of the roads & my interests will change for 7 months.

Again, thanks for the help - I appreciate it.
bluesman77 is offline Find More Posts by bluesman77
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:44 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
894 Posts
328 new life

I have had a touch and go , love hate, relationshipwith my two328's
alot of times it's slugggish or unresponsive . I considered sellig them or leaveing them at the rest stop on the highway. however after studying and taking apart the whole unit. I found that on the rotor head that 2 tiny round grommets were missing. I am the original owner of these two so obviosly they were not installed at the factory.
( I have installed the extreme flybar and the extreme 120 motor and more powerful batteries with no permanent or consistant results)
I ordered the grommets from clbheli.while waiting for delivery I took a cabin grommet and cut it into 2 individual grommets. I then removed one blade and one controllarm screw. then I slid out the fixing pin. next I slid one grommet into each of the slots in the side of the rotor head then I slid the fixing pin with some pushing back into position ,reinstalled the blade and the control arm. there now is no slop in the rotor head.

wow what a difference this baby really flys great and consistent.. I can't figure why those grommets would be missing, they can't fall out, they can't come out unless you remove a blade which didnot happen,
anyone else notice this situation.????:confu sed:

tonytester
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:00 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
328a mods...

Tony...that comment about the rotor head grommets solved lingering issues with me. I actually went so far as to ream the ID to 3mm and collapse some shrink wrap onto the feathering shaft in lieu of grommets. In a couple of months of hard flying, I've had Zero aileron death slides! I'm pretty sure that all spare rotor heads are shipped without internal grommets.

Several months back I grew disgusted with the ease of Extreme carbon fly bar breaks, and tapped the flybar to accept 3/64" all-thread rod. You can turn the cupped end of the larger weight to the outside and fill it with solder (an exact length to maintain balance)...this helps to keep the weight from coming off after you strip the grub screw.

Tail motor lifetime is my only remaining issue. The stock NE tail motors last OK, but need more authority. Using V911 main motors provides the authority, and actually transforms the machine. Unfortunately, they overheat incredibly quickly, so there is an inherent difference in winding count / gage. Still working on that one.

I find the modded 328a to be a pleasurable fly, and a nice break from 6 channel action in the field.

Many thanks to all who have come before!
HeliTX is offline Find More Posts by HeliTX
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:58 AM
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Why does my 328 washout when doing anticlockwise circuits but it perfect on clockwise circuits. When the wind blows I use my large double garage and its there I found that it wont hold a right hand circuit. The other way (left) I can do fast tight turns without a hitch... any Ideas..? I am using an Xtreme flybar and shortened 220 blades.

Check the Xxtreme productions Solo Pro 328 and mods link to see my flybar repair...
Algor is offline Find More Posts by Algor
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:36 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
@HeliTX:

Very interesting mods. Any chance of some pics?

@Algor:

I'm a bit confused by your statements 'it perfect on clockwise circuits' and 'it wont hold a right hand circuit'. Same thing, no?

Pretty much all fp's turn easier to the right, as the tail motor powers you through the turn. On left turns, the tail motor slows down and the main rotors create the turn. Adding some aileron helps. Incidently, you can theoretically extend tail motor life by making more left turns and less right turns.

A neat trick to get more fff is to bias your swash travel with subtrim.

Until I discovered quads, the 328 was one of my fav flyers. It is a bit dated and easy to break but still fun. If I was buying a med size fp today I would look at the WL v912.

regards . . . g

ps: Your xtreme flybar repair is very innovative! I will certainly 'borrow' that idea. Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:06 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
Joined Oct 2011
894 Posts
yes try a 912

[Until I discovered quads, the 328 was one of my fav flyers. It is a bit dated and easy to break but still fun. If I was buying a med size fp today I would look at the WL v912.

regards . . . g

ps: Your xtreme flybar repair is very innovative! I will certainly 'borrow' that idea. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I am a 328 lover , but have left her for a 912 , they sound great have alot of power and are very steady right out of the box. and getting cheaper every week.
tonytester
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:31 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
Joined Oct 2011
894 Posts
I still have 1 328 left to sell I was going to keep it but I changed my feeble mind
Old Apr 01, 2013, 07:22 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,833 Posts
I got around to my 328 againa nd recently seen that it will bind to J6-pro. Most of trim problems went away and flys pretty good. I like bigger size and just need to get more foward speed. Flew this with 270 a couple times each and nice easy flying.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 07:50 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
Joined Oct 2011
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I got around to my 328 againa nd recently seen that it will bind to J6-pro. Most of trim problems went away and flys pretty good. I like bigger size and just need to get more foward speed. Flew this with 270 a couple times each and nice easy flying.
yes the 328 and the j6pro is the way to go.
tonytester
Old Apr 01, 2013, 11:28 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytester View Post
yes the 328 and the j6pro is the way to go.
tonytester
Or Devo 10.

regards . . . g
Old Apr 02, 2013, 01:30 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,833 Posts
No Devo 10 for me. Maybe later but have couple of Devo 7's. J6-pro just needs longer sticks as I find them short. I want to get extended sticks on all my radios. My friends DX18 has them and are awesome. Somehow my J6 the spning on throddle got hooked up on its own ? I removed spring and works quite well.
Stock TX was hard to fly this as extremely sloppy. J6 works like a charm.
My 328 is yellow and with bigger size is nice and easy to see.
My next project is flying Solo-pro 100D. I have had it up but sure has nasty ground effect. MCP-X just give it power and straight up.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:36 AM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
Joined Oct 2011
894 Posts
My next project is flying Solo-pro 100D. I have had it up but sure has nasty ground effect. MCP-X just give it power and straight up.[/QUOTE]

get your parts wallet out for the ne 100 cp I found it was cheaper to give it away rather than keep fixing it.
tonytester