HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasen40 View Post
Your modded tail was a nice piece of work.
Why thank you.

It worked. No flybar strikes. Now you can get the Xtreme flybar to eliminate flybar strikes, and it works really well. It's expensive, though.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:37 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
It worked. No flybar strikes. Now you can get the Xtreme flybar to eliminate flybar strikes, and it works really well. It's expensive, though.
Has anyone else tried my flybar gasket solution? Costs nothing, requires only a few minutes of work. Acts the same as the Xtreme flybar, in that it limits the range of motion to eliminate possible contact.

I've been intending to replace my wood prototype with a styrene version, but so far it works flawlessly.
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: YouTube Channel - CallSignVMan
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jun 2012
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
Has anyone else tried my flybar gasket solution? Costs nothing, requires only a few minutes of work. Acts the same as the Xtreme flybar, in that it limits the range of motion to eliminate possible contact.

I've been intending to replace my wood prototype with a styrene version, but so far it works flawlessly.
Once I get the bird I plan on trying the gasket and some extreme parts.I am hoping the 328a will be a reliable bird.My dh 9116,tail dies after 4 flights
Jasen40 is online now Find More Posts by Jasen40
Last edited by Jasen40; Jul 20, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:16 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,357 Posts
The Last Nine Eagles I had in this size was the Free spirit and it was a big waste of time and money. Poorly designed Main shafts would break in flight and after replacing them three times I junked the whole thing.

I still enjoy flying my two Solo Pro 260 and Bravo SX and was thinking about ordering a SP 328
Is it a reliable bird or will I be working on it replacing parts more than flying?
I'm really not into the whole modding thing anymore and just want a stock heli I can take outside and fly.
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
I'm really not into the whole modding thing anymore and just want a stock heli I can take outside and fly.
Well, then, the 328 isn't for you. Without mods, this heli is not a good outdoor bird. It needs modifications to do well outdoor. In its stock form, it really sucks outdoor a soon as there is a small breeze.

If modded, then it can do quite well outdoor for a 4 channels heli.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:34 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man View Post

My Solo Pro 328 has the xtreme flybar which takes care of the flybar strikes. But I may try something like that on my Solo Pro 228.

Have you done any agressive flying with that mod on your 328?

@bobepine - I agree completely. Without some mods the 328 cannot be flown with any intensity at all.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Last edited by gordonzo; Jul 21, 2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: more
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:35 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
Have you done any aggressive flying with that mod on your 328?
Only a few tests with very rapid cyclic changes. That's how I know that the gasket slightly reduces the flybar's effectiveness -- you need to help it stabilize the heli.

Need to do a FFF outdoor test but the wind gusts have been constant here for the past few weeks. Didn't even dare launch any plane last time I was at the field.
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: YouTube Channel - CallSignVMan
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:53 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Sint-Pieters-Leeuw
Joined Feb 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
The Last Nine Eagles I had in this size was the Free spirit and it was a big waste of time and money. Poorly designed Main shafts would break in flight and after replacing them three times I junked the whole thing.

I still enjoy flying my two Solo Pro 260 and Bravo SX and was thinking about ordering a SP 328
Is it a reliable bird or will I be working on it replacing parts more than flying?
Would advise you to go one step further up and get the 228A. Be sure to get the "A" (CNC metal parts) and not the "P" (Plastic) version.

I have both 328 and 228A and the biggest brother of our Solo Pro really is a very good and stable flyer once you have mastered the 260, wheras the 328 really needs the full Xtreme upgrade (see the Thread by Bobepine on this matter) an then still remains an acceptable indoorflyer if you don't go modding it further.

Oh yeah, if you get the 228 don't try it out in a small space and avoid hitting anything hard with the tail. Even on the "A" version the tail gears are held in a brittle plastic part that does break easily.
Koala2 is offline Find More Posts by Koala2
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,189 Posts
These two questions about my new bird,the tail blade seems not stay in the correct spot. Should move it move freely.IAlso noticed there are two extra balls on the swash plate.
Last edited by Jasen40; Jul 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,342 Posts
Quote:
These two questions about my new bird,the tail blade seems not stay in the correct spot. Should move it move freely.IAlso noticed there are two extra balls on the swash plate.
The long balls on the swash plate give you more agility. You are not describing your tail rotor problem very well so it's hard to answer you. You mean the blades slip on the motor shaft?

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
The long balls on the swash plate give you more agility. You are not describing your tail rotor problem very well so it's hard to answer you. You mean the blades slip on the motor shaft?

Best,
Chris
Thanks for the reply,the piece I am referring to is the plastic tail wing(the manual is useful)
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,342 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply,the piece I am referring to is the plastic tail wing(the manual is useful)

Oh, the tail fin. Yes, a tiny dab of CA glue should sort that out. They're all like that. If you don't glue it, you'll maybe lose it.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,189 Posts
I have been goggle searching for a shop that has in stock extreme parts and oem parts. Nothing exists.Club Heli has been out of stock for some time.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,342 Posts
Quote:
I have been goggle searching for a shop that has in stock extreme parts and oem parts. Nothing exists.Club Heli has been out of stock for some time.
miracle mart has Xtreme parts in stock, and most oem parts.

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...ain_page=index

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:48 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
This is my SP328a:

Xtreme swashplate
Xtreme flybar
Xtreme 120sr motor
SP220a blades cut down 10mm
Hyperion 550mah 25c battery
Elevator servo biased to ff and subtrimmed for hover
Custom canopy by Maurizio73
Goofy decalling by gordonzo
J6Pro tx with attached timer, 120% ail/elev throws

The stock SP328a is very stable and easy to fly but can not handle any agressive moves. So I fixed it. Many of the ideas came from Chris (bobepine). Except the goofy decals, that was all me.

The Xtreme swashplate improves response. The flybar eliminates flybar strikes (but breaks easily). The Xtreme motor has tons of power. The cut down 220a blades make a huge difference in handling and speed. The Hyperion battery provides a good power boost. It flys well with the stock battery also.

Put it all together and you have a very fast and agile SP328a. Banked turns on a dime. Still decent hover stability.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo