HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2011, 10:40 AM
Joined Jun 2007
10 Posts
Help!
Tower Pro BP-21 cutting out at full throttle

Hello all. I am helping a friend get started with a GWS Slow Stik. We got him a couple of 20 amp esc's and 3 cell 1200 mah lipos from RC Timer and a couple of BP-21's from Hobby King. When we rev the motors to full throttle under load (with a prop) they make a horrible screeching noise and cut out. Moving the throttle stick to the bottom resets the motor and it will turn on again. We purchased 3 motors and they all behave the same way. It only cuts out at full throttle. I have tried other esc and battery combos that are proven but the result remains the same. We checked all of our connections and even re-soldered a few to make sure we have solid connections, but no change. I have been flying electric planes since 2004 and I have never seen this problem before. Any suggestions? Did I just get a bad batch of motors from HK?
joeyimscared is offline Find More Posts by joeyimscared
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2011, 12:03 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyimscared View Post
Hello all. I am helping a friend get started with a GWS Slow Stik. We got him a couple of 20 amp esc's and 3 cell 1200 mah lipos from RC Timer and a couple of BP-21's from Hobby King. When we rev the motors to full throttle under load (with a prop) they make a horrible screeching noise and cut out. Moving the throttle stick to the bottom resets the motor and it will turn on again. We purchased 3 motors and they all behave the same way. It only cuts out at full throttle. I have tried other esc and battery combos that are proven but the result remains the same. We checked all of our connections and even re-soldered a few to make sure we have solid connections, but no change. I have been flying electric planes since 2004 and I have never seen this problem before. Any suggestions? Did I just get a bad batch of motors from HK?
Has the esc got a timing feature,
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old May 17, 2011, 12:32 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,003 Posts
The ESC is losing synch with the motor. If the ESC is programable then try changing the timing. Usually increasing timing cures this problem. If that doesn't help or if the the ESC cannot be programmed, then the only option is to use a smaller propeller.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old May 17, 2011, 02:05 PM
Joined Jun 2007
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
The ESC is losing synch with the motor. If the ESC is programable then try changing the timing. Usually increasing timing cures this problem. If that doesn't help or if the the ESC cannot be programmed, then the only option is to use a smaller propeller.

Larry
Many thanks Wellington53 and Larry. Sure enough my esc's default timing was set to low. Increasing it to medium solved the problem. I have never had a timing issue before, but now I know. Thanks again!

Scott
joeyimscared is offline Find More Posts by joeyimscared