SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 17, 2011, 07:44 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
909 Posts
Build Log
Building Derek Micko's 80" Bf 109 G-6

I've been looking forward to building D-Rock's 109 after watching it evolve over the past few months.

At the moment I'm assembling all the parts required for the build.
I'm going with the recomended 60 size outrunner on 6S and will be fitting
E-flite 60-120 size retracts. After doing some measurements I've choosen the 85 degree as this will give the 109 a wider stance.

BIW.
BuildItWright is offline Find More Posts by BuildItWright
Last edited by BuildItWright; Nov 22, 2011 at 03:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2011, 06:59 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,918 Posts
Hi BIW, you got started quick! Looking forward to your progress, subscribed

D-Rock
D-Rock is offline Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old May 18, 2011, 08:58 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
909 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement Derek.
At this stage I'm still sourcing parts for the build and have only done some dry assembly to check the U/C angles.

I can't really start the build till I have my new building table set up, I'll have to hassle my FIL about that!!

I'm going to my LHS today to pick up servos, depron foam, some spruce(for some reason Basswood is really hard to find in Australia?) and pushrods etc.
There is a shop in QLD that supplies basswood for model railroad construction that I can use as a backup if I don't like the spruce.

Also ordered is a heap of balsa from Balsa Central, they supplied the wood for my J-1 build so I know its good.

I've got some button head bolts for the spinner, they are about 2mm x 13mm with a very fine thread.
I'll post a pic of them tonight to get Dericks opinion if their suitable.

BIW.
Last edited by BuildItWright; May 19, 2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old May 20, 2011, 08:09 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,918 Posts
The screws I used were #2 x 1/2" sheet metal screws, also with fine thread. It sounds like yours are very similar.

D-Rock
Old May 25, 2011, 09:47 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
909 Posts
Bits and pieces...

I've been away in Sydney with the family for a few days but are now back in town.

I've nearly bought everything I need for the build, just waiting for my LHS to order in some 85 degree retracts for me, then I'm just about done.

I pick up a new E-Flite 60 Power motor on ebay for almost half what my LHS was asking which I'm very happy about.

In the end I bought HS 225MG's servo's for the aileron and flaps and HS485HB's for the rudder and elevator.

I've given up trying to find 1/8" dowel locally for the spinner alignment pins and have order a bag of 1/8 x 12" dowels from ebay in the USA! The thinest I could find at my local art supply shop was 1/6".

For covering I've got 10m of silver and 5m of white covering film from HK, my guess is that 10m should be enough to cover the model.

It won't be too much longer before I move into build phase...just got to get my work bench sorted...

BIW.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:00 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,950 Posts
For 1/8" dowels I use the bamboo skewers for cooking. You can sort through the bag to find straight and round ones.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 26, 2011, 08:23 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
For 1/8" dowels I use the bamboo skewers for cooking. You can sort through the bag to find straight and round ones.
charlie
Thanks for the tip Charlie, I did try some bamboo skewers that I found in the kitchen draw but they were a bit too small.
Old May 26, 2011, 06:42 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,918 Posts
Good looking bunch of goodies . Those screw are exactly the same I used on the spinner. As for the dowel, if you have a source for carbon fiber rod, that would work too. Can't wait to see more.

D-Rock
Old May 29, 2011, 03:38 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
909 Posts
Retracts

I picked up my E-Flite 85 degree 60-120 size retracts yesterday.

The look nice and strong(all metal) and should be up to the task.
The axel's supplied with the retracts are way to short so I'll have to find some others that fit 5 mm wire. So far the best I've found are made by Great Planes for 3/16 wire (4.76mm) and are 2" long. If I get these I'll have to either file the legs down to fit or drill out the holes.

I put my Servo Sence current meter on the retract and it is drawing about 200mA with the wheel attached. These size wheels are pushing the limits of what the retract motors can handle I think so hopefully they will last!?

BIW.

PS. Got a call from my FIL yesterday asking me about the cutouts required to make my door into a work bench so I should have it soon, then the fun can begin...
Last edited by BuildItWright; May 29, 2011 at 03:43 AM.
Old May 29, 2011, 06:37 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildItWright View Post
I picked up my E-Flite 85 degree 60-120 size retracts yesterday.

The look nice and strong(all metal) and should be up to the task.
The axel's supplied with the retracts are way to short so I'll have to find some others that fit 5 mm wire. So far the best I've found are made by Great Planes for 3/16 wire (4.76mm) and are 2" long. If I get these I'll have to either file the legs down to fit or drill out the holes.

I put my Servo Sence current meter on the retract and it is drawing about 200mA with the wheel attached. These size wheels are pushing the limits of what the retract motors can handle I think so hopefully they will last!?

BIW.

PS. Got a call from my FIL yesterday asking me about the cutouts required to make my door into a work bench so I should have it soon, then the fun can begin...
You could always solder some brass tube to the axle that is long enough to get the wheel on and drill out the wheel. This would also give you the option of having a split pin wheel retainer.

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old May 29, 2011, 08:55 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,950 Posts
Ditto. I try to do that with all wheels. Makes a very neat solution as well as being the most secure method I've ever used.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 29, 2011, 12:32 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,918 Posts
Nice looking retracts. I am curious how they fit in the retract mounting plates. The plates are sized for the Robart mechanicals.

D-Rock
Old May 29, 2011, 06:14 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
I'm very interested in how they work out as well. I've had my eye on these retracts for my own '109.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old May 30, 2011, 11:17 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
909 Posts
I've done some more measurement and found that the U/C leg length is about 1" shorter on the wing plan compared to the fuselage plan. This is good news as the legs will be shorter thus reducing the load on the retract motors.

D-Rock, The e-flite retract are the same width but a bit shorter in length so they will fit easily into the mounting plates.

BIW.

PS. My FIL will be dropping of my door/building board on Wed/Thurs after the paint dries!
I should have told him not to bother painting it but he is old school and like things to be done properly...
Old May 30, 2011, 12:36 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,918 Posts
HI BIW, Sorry I missed the length of the gear but glad it works in your favor. Good to hear that the E-flights fit well. I think the electric retracts is the way to go. There were some linkage pains in setting up the mechanicals. I think once you have the servos and the mechanicals, it is probably cheaper with the electrics anyways . I do have to ask, whats a FIL?

D-Rock