HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by cactus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:01 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Valley Mission

I got to test the CP antenna mounted up higher and it was a big improvement on the return trip. No drop outs. I also flew from my back deck for the first time ever. Right next to the house with metal roof and pine trees everywhere and I had a great signal all the way across the valley behind my house.

My new lipos come in today as the old 3s 3000 mah 20C lipos I was using are three seasons old now and loosing their punch. They also sag in voltage fairly quick. They weigh 230 grams and my new nanotech 2200's are like 180 grams, so It should feel a little more sporty.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:24 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
1280 CP Antennas

Couple shots of the 1280 CP antenna on the quad. I used a spare frame landing gear arm to hold the feed line up above all the other electronics for clear LOS while flying low.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Airborne:
- 1280 mhz 300mw vTx
- Cloverleaf Circular Polarized antenna/Stock dipole
- RMRC 540 OSD CCD Camera
- Power from main flight pack using LC filter
- CNCHeli simple OSD

Ground Station:
- 1280 mhz vRx
- SPW Circular Polarized antenna/Dipole or DIY 8dbi Patch
- FatShark Base goggles
- Both powered by shared 2-3 cell (450-2200) lipo
- Snap on filters for both power leads
- Tripod
- Video Recording done with old Sony miniDV camera.
Cactus,
Hi, how do you power your ground station with both 2s and 3s? My fatsharks get real hot as well. do you just power the fatsharks with the 2s?

BTW. l love your set up and vids. Great to follow your progress.

Thanks Jim
topjimmie is offline Find More Posts by topjimmie
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Hey Jim,

I currently power my entire ground station with a single 3s 3000 lipo or a Automotive jump start battery with a 12v cigarette adapter if I am car based. Runs it all day! I power the following components directly from the 12v source:
- (2) 1.3 ghz vRx's
- Cooling fan
- EagleEyes FPV station (going in tonight)

I then connect a Castle Creations BEC to the source and bring it down to 7.4 volts for my Fat Sharks and the RC 305 5.8ghz vRx which both benefit from running at the lower voltage and stay cooler.

Here is my latest video from last weekend where I got out to 1.3km. I am hoping to try the diversity this weekend if the wind cooperates.

High Desert Fun - FPV Multicopter (7 min 7 sec)
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
Eagle Eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Hey Jim,

I currently power my entire ground station with a single 3s 3000 lipo or a Automotive jump start battery with a 12v cigarette adapter if I am car based. Runs it all day! I power the following components directly from the 12v source:
- (2) 1.3 ghz vRx's
- Cooling fan
- EagleEyes FPV station (going in tonight)

I then connect a Castle Creations BEC to the source and bring it down to 7.4 volts for my Fat Sharks and the RC 305 5.8ghz vRx which both benefit from running at the lower voltage and stay cooler.

Here is my latest video from last weekend where I got out to 1.3km. I am hoping to try the diversity this weekend if the wind cooperates.

http://vimeo.com/37156143
Thank you so much for the info. I am having a hell of a time with interference on my SD video display when I arm my quad. The Fatshark display is clear and both are hooked into the eagleeyes. Only problem I have so far with my set up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuErQ89SeEc Bought some Torrids, not sure it will help tho. Not even sure where to put the torrids. Did I see in an earlier post you used some? Great video, love how you make it a family affair. I just recieved some of those CP's in the mail based upon some good reviews. How do you like them?
topjimmie is offline Find More Posts by topjimmie
Last edited by topjimmie; Feb 28, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Project Update

My quadcopter is currently a hanger queen. I sold my KDA 22L motors since they are only good fro 3S setups. The video gear is currently on my Sky Surfer glider. The main reason I am going to rework my setup was short flight times (5-6mins max) and lack of power in FPV fast flight. I am researching 4S setups and plan to get it going this summer. I would really like to get more like 8-10 mins of flight time. My projected setup will be:

- VC450 frame
- Plush 18 ESC's
- 700-850kv 4s Motors
- 4s 2600-4000 lipo
- 9x5x3 props
- FPV gear

FPV gear: Not sure what I am going to do yet for control and video, but I want to keep it light and simple. I'll prob keep it short range and use 5.8 200mw gear on CP antennas with full range JR/Spektrum control. I have tested this previously out to 350m without issue.

< 1300 g AUW
Old May 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
New Setup Maiden

I had a chance to test fly my new setup this evening. Went well, but I need to do some trimming on the TX and adjust CG a bit. I am using the same frame, flight controller, ESC's, radio gear and props.

New Gear:
Carbon Bird 775kv motors
4s 45c 2200mah pack
RMRC 1 gram 520tvl camera
RMRC 800mw 1280 TX
Step down regulator & LC filter

I mounted the camera on gel gyro tape and the picture is rock solid with no vibration waves. I put the foam back on the landing gear for the first few flights as I am really rusty.

I lift off at slightly under 50% throttle and the power is nice. I logged about 7 mins landing at 3.82v per cell.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:19 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,149 Posts
I never heard of Gel gyro tape. Do you have an URL for it or a place to buy it?
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mia Ultralight Slow Stick
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Kyosho Zeal Vibration Absorption Gyro/Reciever Mounting Gel
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:19 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,149 Posts
Amazing! Gell in sheets....Thanks.
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mia Ultralight Slow Stick
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Update

I am back to the 300mw Vtx and a clover leaf antenna. I also put my RMRC 540 OSD camera back on and recently added a Tiny ODS III. I'm running 2.8 firmware with the summary screen disabled and it has worked very nice.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:23 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Update

I continue to be impressed with the 4s setup and 1280 video system. Last fall I purchased a Zippy 4s 3000mah 20C pack to try for more duration than the 4S 2200 45C pack I was using. I was averaging about 7.5 minutes on the 2200 pack weighing in at 275 grams. The 3000mah Zippy weights 312 grams. My current flight time average on that pack is close to 11 mins landing at 14v under load! I have nearly doubled my FPV flight time from a year ago when I was only getting 6 mins with not much power on tap with the 3s setup.

I also set a personal distance record with setup in 2012:
**1.11 miles out and back.

FPV Quadcopter Distance& Duration Run (8 min 7 sec)

So moving forward in 2013 my goals are:
- Experiment with hauling up a lightweight 3300 and see if I can average 12 mins with good power and handling.
- Move my DIY MultiWii warthox board radio settings in the JR9503 over to a Er9x flashed 9x with my Dragon Link. I am not sure what I will need to change in the sketch file, but I know I will need to calibrate the endpoints in the GUI for the 9x.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Update

I have made some big changes to my FPV quadcopter. I moved the gear over to a new Hoverthings FLIP FPV frame and I am trying a $18 FLIP WMC with autolevel. My weight came in at 1000g without lipo and so far my flight times have not changed but it is much lower profile and all the gear has more separation and easier to access for maintenance.
Old Aug 07, 2013, 08:35 PM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
937 Posts
Thank you for sharing this thread. I see it's been a while. I am thinking about purchasing a flip fpv frame just like the one you have pictured above. How do you like it? I'm trying to figure out if spending $250 or more on a dji fc is worth it (or needed). Any advice you can give to someone just getting started?
Thank you,
Jason
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Aug 08, 2013, 12:04 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Hi Jason,

I sold this quad a few months back after experiencing weird fail safes with my DragonLink system and it seemed at the time to be something on the quad, but I never figured out why. Just got frustrated and moved on. Its a great frame, but I have no experience with any other FC's other than the low cost MultiWii boards. Good luck!