HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by cactus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:06 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
I am planning on testing 900mhz video next to see how it does down low and around trees.
Now your talkin. I am ready to do this also.
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:49 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
Now your talkin. I am ready to do this also.
I followed your comments over in the FPV for dummies thread about 900mhz. I am trying to figure out what to use on the quad. I have the range video 800mw unit with inverted V antenna, but stock rx antenna and no low pass filter. I am thinking about trying it as is, but maybe pick up a patch rx antenna? I thought about getting cp antennas, but at this frequency they are just too big on the 450 size quads. What do you think?
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:03 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,167 Posts
What is the dia. of the 900 CL?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eternalflight; Sep 11, 2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:47 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
New Configuration

Some updated pictures of my setup. I am using a lighter plastic dome piece with an open back to access the USB connection point for the Ardunio. I am also using ping pong balls instead of the frame landing tubes as they will be less likely to catch and tip over. They weight the same so it was a wash.

I removed my Spektrum gear and I am now using Dragon Link attached to my JR 9503. The DL transmitter is powered through the 9503 soldered inside with a servo plug so I can remove it to fly my 2.4ghz stuff. A small trainer plug bundled with the wiring activates the PPM stream, powers the DL module and disables the 2.4 transmission.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:49 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Editing video now of my first open space flight with the DL near a lake by me. There was light wind with some small gusts and this setup handles it very well. The quad flys very smooth and is point an and shoot!

Lake FPV (10 min 15 sec)
Last edited by cactus; Sep 12, 2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:23 PM
Going to Plan C
Joined May 2011
98 Posts
glad to see it all works!!!
spectre6573 is offline Find More Posts by spectre6573
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:42 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
1280mhz Video

Had my maiden flight with the new video frequency tonight in the wooded fields behind my home. All I have is the stock dipoles at the moment, but I was able to do what I previously could not do with 5.8ghz, go behind large pine trees and down hill! I had some drop outs while banking steeply and when I get allot of trees between the quad and the gs, but it was always flyable. I made a 8dbi patch to try for next time. My custom CP antennas should be here in a week or so. Can't wait.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:48 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Had my maiden flight with the new video frequency tonight in the wooded fields behind my home. All I have is the stock dipoles at the moment, but I was able to do what I previously could not do with 5.8ghz, go behind large pine trees and down hill! I had some drop outs while banking steeply and when I get allot of trees between the quad and the gs, but it was always flyable. I made a 8dbi patch to try for next time. My custom CP antennas should be here in a week or so. Can't wait.
Great! Good choice. Can't wait to see more video.
I went with 900Mhz and I was happy with the results also. Great confidence booster.
But useing the 5.8 still on the ground station to the Fatsharks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:18 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I will record my next flight with the patch. I was flying in some fairly narrow gaps between big pine trees, but it always looks smaller than it really is. I need good antennas now!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:24 AM
Bazinga!
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Feb 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
I will record my next flight with the patch. I was flying in some fairly narrow gaps between big pine trees, but it always looks smaller than it really is. I need good antennas now!
Build some Cloverleaf antennas, so far they work great on my quad with 1.3GHz, much much better than the stock antennas. IBCrazy have some good tutorials on making your own.
Moelich73 is offline Find More Posts by Moelich73
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:28 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I have a set being made for me now. They guy making them has a spectrum analyzer and he adjusts the antenna until it is perfectly resonant on that frequency. I don't have that kind of equipment, so would gladly pay someone to get it right. I did make the goof proof patch antenna, that was easy.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:02 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
1280mhz DIY Patch Test

Testing my new 1280mhz video with stock dipole on tx and DIY 8dbi Patch on ground. Seeing how it does going behind trees and objects.

1280mhz DIY Patch Test (4 min 30 sec)
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:32 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Project Update

Really been enjoying this platform. Four more flights today near my home and I really had a blast. The last few flights I was using the CNCHeli 10x4.7 props and for hovering they are hard to beat. Good punch outs when you need it, but fast forward flight is just not right... Hard to explain really, so I tried my GWS 9x5x3 props for two flights and wow what a difference fast forward flight is with these. Smooth video and the quad feels locked in and flying on rails! Power on tap is slightly less, but worth the smooth and controlled fast forward flight.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:17 PM
Joined Jul 2011
53 Posts
details....

Quote:
I removed my Spektrum gear and I am now using Dragon Link attached to my JR 9503. The DL transmitter is powered through the 9503 soldered inside with a servo plug so I can remove it to fly my 2.4ghz stuff. A small trainer plug bundled with the wiring activates the PPM stream, powers the DL module and disables the 2.4 transmission.
Hi cactus. Can you post some details about your 9503 mod? I need to do something similar and would benefit tremendously from your experience (as I am sure would many others)!
a_marmot is offline Find More Posts by a_marmot
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:12 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
1.3 ghz CP Antennas & Ground Station Upgrades

I got my custom built and tuned CP antennas a couple of days ago and got a few flights in this morning before the wind got bad. Noticeable improvement in picture quality and not dropping out as much around trees. On my second pack I decided to go across the valley (over a power line) to the other side and got a little static on the way back when the antennas where blocked by the battery and camera. I had the clover leaf hanging underneath, but due to it's size it can't go any lower to clear the gear without hitting the ground on landings. I have since moved it way up above for testing there.

I built a new GS too. Worked great. I used a project box from Radio Shack to house two 1.3 rx's and a 5.8ghz rx with antenna attachments routed through the top of the box. I have a 12v power distribution block and a 12v CPU fan to keep the box cool on warm days and direct sun. So now I have everything with me in one compact and protected unit. I can swap rx's on the fly and later add an Eagle Eyes unit for diversity and AV distribution. I only have the goggles hooked up right now in a bag attached to the tripod leg.