HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by cactus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:21 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Made several changes last night and was able to test them this evening.

On-board Video: I re-routed all of the wires to better separate everything. I also removed the second lipo for powering the video system and I am running off the main flight pack using a sanders filter. So my OSD shows a single pack to watch. I also moved the video transmitter down lower for better clearance of the frame and battery for LOS with the Rx while flying low.

Airframe: I removed the full circle pool noodle and made smaller bounce pads for each leg. Still handles rough landings nice.

Ground Station: I tried a 2s pack to power both the Rx and the Fat Sharks and they run MUCH cooler with no noticeable difference in performance.

All told I dropped about 100grams off the copter and now I don't have to manage two packs for a flight. Video picture was good with no noticeable noise lines in the Fat Sharks.

So now I am going to go back to tunning my FC and working on vibration mounting options and getting the other sensors working.

There's no end to trying something better, I fly and go home and make changes also. My issue I can't decide to keep the copter legs on or off, I like to handlaunch the Quad.
Could you tell me more about the Sander Filter... an URL to it.
I had used 2 batteries for about 2 flights in the beginning and then gave in and went with one Lipo to power everything.

Your clover antenna, would you have an URL for the person who makes them up.
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:26 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
There's no end to trying something better, I fly and go home and make changes also. My issue I can't decide to keep the copter legs on or off, I like to handlaunch the Quad.
Could you tell me more about the Sander Filter... an URL to it.
I had used 2 batteries for about 2 flights in the beginning and then gave in and went with one Lipo to power everything.

Your clover antenna, would you have an URL for the person who makes them up.

So for the filter I used the one documented here. Very easy and was only a few dollars worth of spare parts to complete.

I had the antennas made by this guy here on RCG.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=112092

Send him a PM. I think he is specializing in 5.8 patterns. He is making me a few more to have as spares and for an airplane setup eventually.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:29 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
More Changes

Props: Tried the GWS 9x5x3 props again for a few flights. Power is slightly less, but for FPV flying I don't need that much punch. Motors are running cooler again.

Pan/Tilt Mount. I have it setup on the gear switch to be able to look below me when up high.

The wind died down enough to do an FPV flight this evening with my new three-layer foam/gel mounts. I think it is smoother now. This was my best FPV flight yet. Felt really solid in auto level and smooth.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:58 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Well, the 9x5x3 props just don't have the punch, so it's back to the 10 inch props for now. I also tweaked my settings and modified the v1_7 code for a Magnetometer fix. It holds now.

Did two more FPV flights tonight and I am getting this thing under control. landings are smoother and I went farther down the street and back. These platform is the ultimate small space way to enjoy FPV.

I forgot to mention I had my first nearly perfect landing at the end of the second flight. I came in controlling my descent and softly touched down without sliding around. Getting the hang of this!
Last edited by cactus; Jun 23, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:07 AM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,418 Posts
Way to Go! It's not the fall but the sudden stop! Seems like most of my landings are a fall from about a foot... Replaced my 8" with 10" props. Maybe that will help, but my DX8 is in for recall.
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:26 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Bummer, hope you get your radio back soon. The pool noodle cushion feet really help prevent damage.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 04:07 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Ongoing Considerations

I guess at this point I can call this project successful. I'm regularly flying short missions near my home and gaining confidence and skill controlling the quad via FPV.

Some ongoing items to address as I progress and push my distances further away will be:
- 2.4ghz RC radio system range
- 5.8ghz Video system range performance
- Continue to tweak and improve the Quadrino as wii code matures.
- Looks for ways to reduce weight and up flight time
- Integrate some sort of AIH OSD into the mix when I go further away and higher.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:02 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,167 Posts
Quote:
So for the filter I used the one documented here. Very easy and was only a few dollars worth of spare parts to complete.

I had the antennas made by this guy here on RCG.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=112092

Send him a PM. I think he is specializing in 5.8 patterns. He is making me a few more to have as spares and for an airplane setup eventually.
Thanks for posting. When will we get to see a vid
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:05 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
When I have something interesting to show! I wish I had a dime for every video posted of someone just hovering around, I would be rich.

Cheers...
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:44 AM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
2,418 Posts
Well for some us hovering is a big success, we like to show it off! LOL
Thanks for this thread, I liked following your progress! OSD? Sounds cool!!
Old Jun 25, 2011, 02:50 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Got about 100m away today in a valley behind my house. Made a turn up a gultch and started to to loose video so I had to turn around and come back out. That was a blast.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 04:41 PM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
2,418 Posts
That sound cool!
Flat as a pancake around here! I'm 35' above sea level and there is nothing within 30 miles breaking 50 feet.lol
Old Jul 01, 2011, 04:55 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Logged 6 FPV flights today, mostly with some wind present. Quad gets tossed around a little, but it is manageable. I went about 100m away and at a few points I was about 150ft up.

Still playing with the PID settings. Here is a capture of a few minutes of the valley behind my house. My OSD is still dropping out sometimes.

July 3, 2011 (6 min 53 sec)
Last edited by cactus; Jul 03, 2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:14 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Got things dialed in better during the CO 2011 FPV Meet. Logged 15 flights out to 300m with little or no issues with gear.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:06 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Got things dialed in better during the CO 2011 FPV Meet. Logged 15 flights out to 300m with little or no issues with gear.
Glad to see some video. Looks like fun. See ya have some sun shade going on, looks hot there at the time.
Been way to hot and muggy to enjoy some flying here. 90 -100 with lots of heat index over 100.
What's the size of your Vtx. I was just using my Fatshark and 100mW 5.8Ghz.
But getting ready to use better antennas and diversity. With the 5.8 are you able to get around bushes and trees with out an issue with your cloverleaf and SPW?

What did you end up learning to get a better signal with little or no issues with gear.
Need to do some searching to see if there will be any FPV Meets in the Midwest sometime.

Glad your logging some flights.
Ken
RCG Plus Member