HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2011, 08:42 PM
Richmond Hill, GA
Joined Dec 2006
6 Posts
Discussion
Want entry-level DLG... Can't build...

I'd love to get a DLG, but I have a dilemma. I'm looking for something that requires minimal building (due to my building skill level and ease of frustration). I've read the nice post (from aerjr, I believe) with many recommendations. The problem is that even the inexpensive DL-50 or Gambler may take too much "building". So I've looked at some of the ARFs... but then I read posts about getting warped wings, questionable construction, heavy, etc.

Seems I can't win. Can anyone recommend something that may even remotely fit what I'm looking for? I'm thinking to spend around $140.

Thanks in advance.
nicman is offline Find More Posts by nicman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2011, 08:54 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,426 Posts
Doesnt sound like you will be able to have your cake and eat it too. If you want a decent DLG and are not patient enough to build, chances are you looking at big $$$, for the lower price range, you will need to look in the used forums. Lots of nice planes come up on there for good prices, albeit they are typically higher than $140, but for $300-ish you can find good planes already built and ready to go Shoot, for a little over $300, you can get a brand new Blaster, which is pretty complete right from the box.
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old May 16, 2011, 09:08 PM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,341 Posts
why not try the Gambler? Not an insignificant amount to throw down on a model, but you may learn a few things about building in the process. Its not difficult to build (not many parts), except for the trailing edges of the wings, but there are some good tips on the thread for it (use some music wire of the appropriate thicknesses to help for the tapered trailing edge, and don't get too ambitious with the color scheme on the covering, and avoid the poly cover from hobby lobby - not the easiest covering to use.
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old May 16, 2011, 09:16 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
http://www.skipmillermodels.com/Sail...show=50&page=1
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old May 16, 2011, 09:35 PM
Richmond Hill, GA
Joined Dec 2006
6 Posts
You guys are probably right... I may have to suck it up and build. Besides the fact that I'm a novice builder... the bulk of my problem is that I'm a perfectionist (more like compulsive), so it'll take a long time to finish (if I even finish). I need to find a buddy that loves building.

So I kind of new the answer, but being optimistic, was hoping to hear something else.

Thanks a lot for your feedback and honesty!
Old May 16, 2011, 09:51 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,112 Posts
If you're young and have a good arm, you may consider a regular hlg. Since they are now obsolete, they shouldn't cost much. Basements of guys who've been in this hobby a long time are full of these things. A Chrysalis is nice and easy, even if you build it new.

If your arm isn't so good, you can still have a lot of the fun of dlg by using a very short high start with an hlg.

BTW, I don't know how much experience you have. If you don't have any rc soaring experience, you may want to start with something larger. And I mean larger. Oly 2 or Paragon.

Sit down and think about what quality level you want to maintain. That way you are less likely to make one part gold plated, then lose patience and make the next one cruddy.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 10:36 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
You also need to be able to repair...............
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old May 16, 2011, 11:25 PM
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2008
568 Posts
In your price range:

http://www.themonstr.com/Topsky-DLG-Kits_c4.htm
samson55 is offline Find More Posts by samson55
Old May 17, 2011, 11:04 AM
Joined Apr 2008
54 Posts
Dream-Flight

Check out - Dream-Flight and the Alula - Minimum build and a blast to fly.
herniaboy70 is offline Find More Posts by herniaboy70
Old May 17, 2011, 12:15 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
764 Posts
I haven't owned a HLG that didn't need repair from time to time, patience will be necessary when building or making repairs or even just getting radio settings dialed in. DLG is a great "sport" as I call it, the building and repairs make it a great hobby. Dream Flight is a good suggestion, durability and DLG performance are not close buddy's so you will be making some concessions to try to match all of that criteria with 140$.
FLING came to mind as one you might want to avoid.
Good Luck, have fun with what ever you decide on.
Eric
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Old May 17, 2011, 06:32 PM
The ground's the limit.
Boulder, CO Area
Joined Aug 2008
833 Posts
I built a DL-50 as my second glider a few years ago and a Gambler this past winter. Despite more building experience (I didn't CA my fingers together, um, twice ) building the Gambler, the DL-50 still went together faster. The fuselage and empennage are very similar but the DL-50 foam and glass wing goes together very quickly. Neither glider is hard to build, both are very inexpensive and both are easy to trim and fly nicely. If you're build-o-phobic, but want a decent, cheap DLG you should look into the DL-50.
http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=212

Shawn
shawnc is offline Find More Posts by shawnc
Old May 17, 2011, 07:34 PM
Richmond Hill, GA
Joined Dec 2006
6 Posts
You guys are very helpful and with good suggestions. Point taken... Work on my patience, it's only a matter of time before I'll need it (i.e. repairs!), and building... well, it's an essential skill... try to improve it.

I looked into the models you suggested and I have a thought... If I pick up something like the Alula, I can get it flying relatively quickly (as it doesn't look complex to put together). Having something to play with now, I could take my time to actually build something a little bigger, such as the well-recommended Gambler, DL-50, or Chrysalis. I would then NOT tend to rush and the quality would be pretty good.

Anyway, just a thought.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:25 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,112 Posts
The Alula is really a slope soarer unless the thermals in your area are much stronger than here. It's also rolls very fast, and if you slow it down the stall can be trickier than many.

If you're not an experienced flyer, maybe start with a larger, but simple glider. By larger I mean 2 meters and up. Will meet your budget and in the bigger size a simple glider can still have satisfying performance. A light one on a short high start is almost like dlg flying. Large and simple may actually be easier to build. Even, possibly, easier than small and simple.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2011, 09:12 AM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,473 Posts
Don't fret, get to a contest, there are usually used and new stuff for sale! Reiterate, dlgs take a lot of stress and the builds should be solid and to a certain level of precision or you might be wasting your time or breaking and repairing more than flying!
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2011, 03:41 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,071 Posts
I would check out the Topsky mini. It is about $140 and comes in a fashion that you finish it. AKA you install gear, probably install pushrods, join the wing, maybe do some more work and that's about it.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke