SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 21, 2003, 01:07 PM
Friday Harbor, WA
Joined Mar 2001
216 Posts
CR Turbo S construction

Hello,

Here is a vintage all wood Turbo "S" 52 inch wingeron sloper designed by Charlie Richardson circa 1991. I scratchbuilt the ship from plans and converted it to pitcheron control with linkage similar to VS and Shrike types. I used TraCfoil to generate a set of ribs. All I have left to do is more sanding, covering, and hurling off a tall cliff.
Tiramisu is offline Find More Posts by Tiramisu
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2003, 02:04 PM
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
Lookin' good.

Get that bad boy finished, so we can see some in flight shots.
McGrrr is offline Find More Posts by McGrrr
Old Aug 21, 2003, 03:17 PM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,598 Posts
Nice looking plane! I wish I had the patients and skill to create something like that from scratch. How are you going to cover it?
thermite is offline Find More Posts by thermite
Old Aug 21, 2003, 07:11 PM
Brian Holmes
n/a Posts
Heyyy Tiramisu! finally decided to post a project eh? yours may be done first, but mine will own you on the slope. I predict that your bird will be a heap of balsa and CA flakes when Mine takes its maiden voyage I'll be needin' those plans

Brian H
Old Aug 21, 2003, 07:26 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,585 Posts
Looks good Tiramisu. There is nothing quite like the satisfaction you get from completing a scratch building project. We will look forward to seeing it all finished and getting a flight report.

Thermite: You might be surprised that scratch building really isn't that hard. Except for the fact that you have to cut your own parts, it really isn't harder than building a kit.
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Aug 21, 2003, 07:34 PM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,598 Posts
I'll try it some day.

I just thought it a little daunting, designing and spending a lot of time on a project which may or may not work out.
I certainly hope that one does, it looks great!
Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:21 PM
Friday Harbor, WA
Joined Mar 2001
216 Posts
Have no fear on scratchbuilding dude..its really easy. I had all the basic shapes cut out in about an hour. All I did on the big shapes was put a sheet of freezer paper over the plans, traced them, transferred to balsa and cut them out with a straightedge and sharp knife. I then plugged all the airfoil/chord data from the plans into TraCfoil and printed out a set of ribs. All I did was cut them out with scissors and paste them onto a sheet of balsa. Took minutes to get all the ribs done. The rest was just following the plans. I doubt I have more then 4-5 straight hours into the project so far. Not a drop of epoxy..all CA so it went together in minutes.

Holmes..give it up dude..your always owned, on and off the slope.
Tiramisu is offline Find More Posts by Tiramisu
Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:39 PM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,598 Posts
Oh, I see. You had plans already to follow. I guess that wouldn't be too hard. I'll stick to busting foamies for a while before I get into it seriously though. Just built a nice little Nano Floh which is great for keeping in the trunk for when I come across a little slope somewhere. Flies great!
Hope the rest of the project goes well.