HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2011, 09:19 AM
Joined May 2011
87 Posts
Discussion
Where have all the kits gone?

When I was flying 10 years ago in my early 20's there were bulding kits everywhere, I don't see hardly as many, especially for electric. I'm going to try scratch building b/c I love building, but just wondering why most things have gone to ATF, RTF, BNF? Don't get me wrong, I just bought a Parkzone RTF corsair to get back into it and it was great to be going in an hour but now I want to build and I don't see much at all!
cfiiman is offline Find More Posts by cfiiman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2011, 09:32 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
There's still a lot around. The leaders if you're in the US, are the CAD/CAM produced US market offerings - Mountain Models, Stevens, Pat's Custom Models. Sig are still around - they were taken over, or whatever the biz buzzword is, earlier this year. Though Sig mostly need 'electrocuting', they are very popular to this day as quality sports flying models and, just before the take-over, came out with an electric 20 sized version of their all time favourite Four Star series.

Most of these new smaller kit makers only do electric models!

Most of the smaller manufacturers only advertise online - check the manufacturers forum area hereabouts.

There's a new trend in laser cut parts sets for commercially published plans - it's only 'harder' than a traditional kit in that you have to buy the stripwood yourself. You basically buy a plan and get a full set of cut-out balsa and ply parts from the vendor. 'Lazer Works' have parts sets for many of the popular plans around and some surprising others from many eras and genres of RC aeromodellings

Despite the hoopla for (Bought) Almost Ready to Fly (or fix ) 'products', real aeromodelling is still very much around, alive and kicking. While aeromodellers lean to local hobby shops, we now have to get used to online ordering and searching out stuff like covering, stripwood and control hardware from several sources.

Most of us builders can tell you what stuff of use to aeromodelling can be found in our neighbourhood craft and hardware stores, for one clue.

If you have a local hobby shop, you are lucky. If they cater to true model aircraft builders as well as hobby buyers, you are even luckier.

Welcome back. If you're a real aeromodeller, in your blood, you're allowed a spell out, but the hobby will call you back.

Good luck

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 16, 2011, 09:48 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,587 Posts
Here are a couple of places to buy kits:

http://www.mountainmodels.com
http://www.stevensaero.com
http://www.manzanolaser.com
http://www.aerodromerc.com

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old May 16, 2011, 10:02 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,378 Posts
Nice kits here. Ships internationally.

www.rbckits.com

Check Rob out. He's been at this a long time and has some models a lot of 'builders' would be interested in.
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old May 16, 2011, 11:16 AM
READY!
seattle, wa
Joined May 2008
623 Posts
Some of these links are probably dead but... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...89&postcount=2
shafferama is offline Find More Posts by shafferama
Old May 16, 2011, 11:24 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiiman View Post
When I was flying 10 years ago in my early 20's there were bulding kits everywhere, I don't see hardly as many, especially for electric. I'm going to try scratch building b/c I love building, but just wondering why most things have gone to ATF, RTF, BNF? Don't get me wrong, I just bought a Parkzone RTF corsair to get back into it and it was great to be going in an hour but now I want to build and I don't see much at all!
If you do a search around the groups , you will find several lists like the one authored by No Fly zone , and quoted in the post above . Another fellow RCer , Murocflyer , has also done several great lists of things like Kit companys , Companies "Made in the USA" , spreadsheets on the costs of similar models built glow VS electric , and other great topics .

Happy Flying
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 16, 2011, 12:24 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
They are out there and nobody buys them... Understandable that they don't produce like they used too.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 12:58 PM
Joined May 2011
87 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm going to try building a scratch built eps foam mustang. I went and bought a good amount of the foam and am going to duplicate my mustang as a "test" and see what happens. I always wanted to try scratch building looks like I am going to get my chance. I'll post the progress of how a newbie scratch builder does. I've watched some vids on it and I feel like I have a pretty good idea about how to go about it, especially having to repair my foam parkzone all the time lol.
cfiiman is offline Find More Posts by cfiiman
Old May 16, 2011, 01:27 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiiman View Post
Thanks guys, I'm going to try building a scratch built eps foam mustang. I went and bought a good amount of the foam and am going to duplicate my mustang as a "test" and see what happens. I always wanted to try scratch building looks like I am going to get my chance. I'll post the progress of how a newbie scratch builder does. I've watched some vids on it and I feel like I have a pretty good idea about how to go about it, especially having to repair my foam parkzone all the time lol.
Use this for inspiration.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287190

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 03:56 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,838 Posts
Building from "Short-kits" or plans-only, offers more challenges than from Guillows and other mass-produced kits , i.e. there are usually no sequential step-by-step instructions or exploded views/photos provided, just basic plans with a few notes. You need to study the plans completely and plan assembly sequence, component mounting,mindful of getting the cg right without having to add excessive nose-weight, etc. If you get creative and use basswood instead of balsa longerons and stringers, inlay balsa sheet between stringers, add scale steerable tailwheels, use larger motors and battery packs, beef up landing gear, and use heavier covering than recommended, you may need to add nose-weight which all affects total weight and affects ability to fly slowly and scale-like. 40" wingspan and larger models are more tolerant of moderate weight increases. We are lucky to have a good selection of laser-cut short kits of golden age, WWI, WWII, post-war and modern civilian craft that perform well on todays affordable electric power systems and light RC gear.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old May 16, 2011, 10:20 PM
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Nov 2010
175 Posts
Inspiration

Thanks for this thread!

Some kits there that have given me some inspiration to build a scale model or two.

Thanks heaps for the links,.

Now where did I put the credit card.
peterreebok is online now Find More Posts by peterreebok
Old May 16, 2011, 10:43 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Cribbed from my bookmarks menu. If I knew how to import this list as clickable fields, I would.

Pat's Custom Models
Alien Aircraft Corp
SR Batteries
Park Scale Models
Mountain Models
Stevens AeroModel
Balsa USA
DareHobby.com
AerodromeRC
Manzano Laser Works
Top Notch Kits
BMJR Model Products
Marston PteroWorks
ElectroFlying Models
Radical RC
Bridi™ Airplane Kits
AMR - Aircraft Modelers Research
Aerocraft Home Page
PrecisionCutKits.Com
Civilian Aircrafts at Scale R/C Models
TEAM DUSTER DESIGNS
National Balsa Wood Company
House of Balsa Inc.
E*star Models
dV Flight Technologies
Cl-i-max Models
MJD Models
RBCkits Online Shop
FoxLiteModels
T&J Models - B-29
HobbyHangar.com
Sport and Civilian
Easy Built Models - Electric Radio Controlled Aircraft Kits
Bob Holman Plans
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old May 17, 2011, 04:25 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Cribbed from my bookmarks menu. If I knew how to import this list as clickable fields, I would.
Copy and paste from the link. Or click on the insert link symbol above in the message box.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old May 17, 2011, 06:29 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu View Post
Copy and paste from the link. Or click on the insert link symbol above in the message box.
I know how to insert a single link.... but I didn't have the time or patience to do that for each of the 20 or 30 kit vendors in my list.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old May 18, 2011, 11:33 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,090 Posts
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/

Many very small ones.
I found also Jodel BeBe D9

TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Last edited by TreeDiver; May 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM.