FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2011, 01:53 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,367 Posts
Every Year about this time we get these entertaining threads.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old May 17, 2011, 02:19 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
I do think that this thread highlights the need for 'emission' discipline at large events. While we never need to go back to the days of 72mhz impounds, a low-level of emissions plan would greatly benefit large events where the majority are on 2.4.

Perhaps a limit to 25 transmitters on at any one time. 10 flying at a time and 15 in a designated 'pit' area where one can switch on and verify everything is a-ok before flight. Everyone else at the event would be banned from switching on while at their respective work-benches, unless they have a means to program the radio or servos without transmitting a signal ie. DSC (direct servo connect) or for radio programming, unplug the module, select non-transmit, etc.
Old May 17, 2011, 02:41 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief View Post
Perhaps a limit to 25 transmitters on at any one time. 10 flying at a time and 15 in a designated 'pit' area where one can switch on and verify everything is a-ok before flight.
You've never been to Joe Nall have you?!?!? 4 separate flight lines with approx. 22 total flight stations spanning well over a mile.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old May 17, 2011, 02:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry View Post
You've never been to Joe Nall have you?!?!? 4 separate flight lines with approx. 22 total flight stations spanning well over a mile.

Mike.
I have not Mike. However perhaps the saturation of the 2.4 band is an important issue to address.

Some sort of EMCON (Emissions Control) strategy seems to be worth investigation.

The AMA could host an EMCON event in Muncie, inviting pilots of all stripes to attend for a contest and on each day different EMCON strategies are tested, with 2.4 scanners recording the noise floor.

Such a scientific test would establish 'norms' that other CD's could choose to follow to allow safe flight for everyone in attendance.

The main point being that some sort of large scale-detailed investigation would yield valuable data and insights into this matter.
Old May 17, 2011, 03:21 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief View Post
I have not Mike. However perhaps the saturation of the 2.4 band is an important issue to address.

Some sort of EMCON (Emissions Control) strategy seems to be worth investigation.

The AMA could host an EMCON event in Muncie, inviting pilots of all stripes to attend for a contest and on each day different EMCON strategies are tested, with 2.4 scanners recording the noise floor.

Such a scientific test would establish 'norms' that other CD's could choose to follow to allow safe flight for everyone in attendance.

The main point being that some sort of large scale-detailed investigation would yield valuable data and insights into this matter.

The Nall is a one of a kind and has little to no bearing on the rest of the RC world.
That its own size has brought problems is rather obvious.
That those problems are not indicative of RC as a whole should also be obvious.

A noise floor limit has always been a fact: only where and how needed to be determined.
The Nall has a peculiar problem and that is it.

Even the upcoming WC at Muncie late this summer posts a decided preference for 2.4GHz though 72MHz "will be permitted."
Yes, I know it is a SIG event.

Try not to solve the problems that affect but a few (1100 is a few BTW) and you'll be better off and happier as well.

In June, when the FAA releases their proposal covering sUAS, the Nall problem may seem like a very tiny blip .

First things first, .........

Though I do agree with the poster who stated incredulity at AMA allowing an increase in weight limits.
To me they appear to have their heads in a very dark place at the moment and I have been a long time AMA supporter.

I still am but THAT one is absurd.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Last edited by onewasp; May 17, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old May 17, 2011, 03:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Also, has there been any serious investigation into an all digital hopping system on 900Mhz ?
Old May 17, 2011, 03:26 PM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry View Post

Mike.
In the '70's we were not able to do anything like that
At Falls of Rough Ky there was a landing strip under a mile long and we would setup 3 flight lines for pattern - and then schedule all three for frequency seperation
Scheduling was a real issue!
The TOC was easy to do - two pilots at a time
The NATS?
another schedule mess.
Gotta love the 2.4 - we see NO issues here.
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Old May 17, 2011, 03:32 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy hanson View Post
In the '70's we were not able to do anything like that
At Falls of Rough Ky there was a landing strip under a mile long and we would setup 3 flight lines for pattern - and then schedule all three for frequency seperation
Scheduling was a real issue!
The TOC was easy to do - two pilots at a time
The NATS?
another schedule mess.
Gotta love the 2.4 - we see NO issues here.

Nor anywhere I have flown since 2.4GHz full range was announced by Spektrum in October of 2006.

I fly a bunch at multiple locations and have yet to see, much less experience, a lockout.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Old May 17, 2011, 06:13 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
900mhz sounds fun...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 17, 2011, 06:16 PM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
YEA.. Interesting!! What freq is cell phones on???
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old May 17, 2011, 06:54 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
I've professionally worked with setting up 900MHz networks before, but not for RC use.

2.4GHz for RC use (in the form of Futaba FASST) has been nothing but a good thing for me and my models.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; May 17, 2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:20 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlines View Post
YEA.. Interesting!! What freq is cell phones on???

In the US, 850mhz apparently... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_bands

...unsure how many manufacturers will jump as the markets are limited due to regulations... but apparently there's pretty massive benefits to it (range, no worries with carbon fiber fuselages, etc). As for "omg, other things use it!"... just look at 2.4ghz
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 17, 2011, 07:25 PM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
I have heard.. I was thinking the cells were 900.. But that was a while back I think.. I am happy with what I have.. DSMx and looking into a A9 when they get the antenna inside the case.. KM.. yours looks awesome!!
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old May 17, 2011, 08:16 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
As for "omg, other things use it!"... just look at 2.4ghz
Yeah, but 2.4GHz doesn't typically travel as well, so we don't get as much interference from other things. Ironically, in a way, it's that relatively "poor" performance that's in part what makes it good for RC use, seeing as most of us fly larger more expensive models out in a country field somewhere.

The exception being really large events where there are hundreds of people using 2.4GHz, of course.

2.4GHz also uses more bandwidth which can provide a lot of redundancy through different techniques for safeguards in lower data rate applications, such as RC.

More remote countryside areas can be more suitable for wireless ISPs and other forms of communication on frequencies that travel better.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; May 17, 2011 at 08:25 PM.