SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2011, 03:38 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Discussion
Any photos of Frsky DHT Installation

Hi,

Looking for some pointers for installation of the Frsky DHT into a Turnigy 9x - I haven't received either yet, but want to make sure I have the bases covered so I can charge right in once they arrive.

There's lots of material on the one-way DIY module, but I was looking for pictures or data for the DHT .. specifically relating to what needs to be brought out to be accessible from outside the transmitter. I know the switch/LED panel must be different, with one more switch. What about the data connection, how is that presented?

Thanks in advance for any tips ..

Tony S
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2011, 01:19 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,942 Posts
Use a DJT module, not a DHT.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old May 16, 2011, 07:53 PM
Joined Jul 2010
17 Posts
Hi,

This is all I could find:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...66162&page=360

I am trying to find info on this same installation as well. I have both units, but am not sure how to go about installing the small circuit card with the switches, button, and led's.

Arion
arion02 is offline Find More Posts by arion02
Old May 17, 2011, 01:09 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,942 Posts
This is what I mean:
Installing the FrSky 2.4GHz DIY kit in a HobbyKing Turnigy 9X radio (27 min 52 sec)

If you didn't bought yet the radio, buy it the original from leaderhobby instead rebranded from HK, it comes without that stupid antenna cable, just plug and play.
Old May 17, 2011, 02:52 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I decided to go with the Turnigy radio instead of the Flysky etc one, to make a neater installation. I won't be using it on 35MHz so there's no point in having the aerial (even if I wanted to, it doesn't have the 6V connection needed for 35MHz modules).

Basically I'm going to follow the RC Model Reviews process as shown in that video, but I was trying to find out what differences are needed to accommodate the two-way board instead. I can't even find where the data connections are brought out, are they on the switch board, or as separate cable or what?
Old May 17, 2011, 03:17 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,942 Posts
There is no "Turnigy radio instead of the Flysky".
This radio is made by Flysky, Turnigy is one of several etc, only a label on the case. And a lame contribution, the aerial mod.
About your problem, sorry, I can't advise how to do a thing whose meaning I don't understand.
Neater installation is with Flysky genuine radio, not with the DHT.
Data connections can be brought better using the two unused pins of JR connector inside module case, no visible cable, no radio case holes.
Old May 29, 2011, 04:40 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
This is the new switch/LED board ....

The DIP switches and the bind/range check button are pretty much level, so could be accessible through appropriate cut outs. The LEDs, just below where its says "D1" are surface mounted on the PCB, so I'm undecided as to how to make them visible. I think I might try making a clear panel, with cut outs for the switches, and see if the LEDs are going to be visible enough through the plastic.

Any ideas from the panel?
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:05 PM
Team PAS
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Mar 2011
457 Posts
let me know if you find a nice looking solution. I just got my module today and I was not aware of the switches and leds. I thought the board would be similar as the one without telemetry.
purcilas is online now Find More Posts by purcilas
Old Jun 07, 2011, 11:57 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,942 Posts
You don't need to have any led or switch accessible and visible for normal operation, unless you own both types of receivers (one way and two way) and you switch them often.
So you can wrap the above board and let it hang inside radio.
Open it only firmware upgrades needed.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:44 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purcilas View Post
let me know if you find a nice looking solution. I just got my module today and I was not aware of the switches and leds. I thought the board would be similar as the one without telemetry.
This is what I came up with. Its quite correct that the two DIP switches aren't often needed, but the Bind/Range Check button needs to be accessible and its nice to have the LEDs visible.

Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:32 PM
Team PAS
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Mar 2011
457 Posts
I actually like the solution your first found better because you only see the led and if you need to bind or change a switch you just take the cover off.

I will probably be doing that tonight.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purcilas View Post
I actually like the solution your first found better because you only see the led and if you need to bind or change a switch you just take the cover off.

I will probably be doing that tonight.
Put up a picture if you can, once its done. Good luck.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 09:27 PM
Team PAS
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Mar 2011
457 Posts
just completed mine and did it the same way as here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...66162&page=360

To bind I only need to take the back module cover off as if I was taking the actual module off (but it's not there anymore) and thats it. I can see the light through the original hole.

Next step is to make telemetry work I already ordered the RS232 to TTL converter from China (will take a while)
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:08 PM
Full-Blown RC Junkie
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Jun 2011
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Hi,

Looking for some pointers for installation of the Frsky DHT into a Turnigy 9x - I haven't received either yet, but want to make sure I have the bases covered so I can charge right in once they arrive.

There's lots of material on the one-way DIY module, but I was looking for pictures or data for the DHT .. specifically relating to what needs to be brought out to be accessible from outside the transmitter. I know the switch/LED panel must be different, with one more switch. What about the data connection, how is that presented?

Thanks in advance for any tips ..

Tony S
Tony(AESMITH), did you ever get any info about the Data Signal wiring for a DHT? Im buying a TTL board and going to be starting on mine soon, but i'm not going to use the SmartiePants board, and it seems all the info I find for wiring inolves using the SmartiePants. Did you do yours with or without it?
Snowboard_Nut is offline Find More Posts by Snowboard_Nut
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:35 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboard_Nut View Post
Tony(AESMITH), did you ever get any info about the Data Signal wiring for a DHT? Im buying a TTL board and going to be starting on mine soon, but i'm not going to use the SmartiePants board, and it seems all the info I find for wiring inolves using the SmartiePants. Did you do yours with or without it?
Hi, I haven't wired into the serial port on the DHT yet.

I did use the Smartieparts (not "pants"!) board, but that just does the programming and back light on my set, it doesn't do anything with the serial comms.