HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2011, 04:45 PM
Innovator
United States, MI, White Lake
Joined May 2011
358 Posts
Discussion
Which direction do the servo wires plug into receiver?

I have a newly aquired electric airplane.
I got it used and the guy didn't know anything about this because he used his own receiver.
The plane is a Guanli GL501 P51 Mustang, 34" wing span, 72 mhz FM PPM receiver, Sky Sport transmitter on ch 38. In fact, here is a picture of a receiver. http://www.nitroplanes.com/gumo6chfmre.html

My question is which direction do I plug the servos plugs into the receiver? By this I mean they will go in either way. The plugs have 3 wires, black, red, white. The red will always be in the center but the black and white wires could be wrong depending how I plug them in.
I have a POS instruction sheet that came with the plane saying which plug goes into what channel but no mention as to the orientation.
I'm sure something will fry if reversed. I have 4 wires/plugs. One is the wire coming from the ESC which supplies power to the receiver. Does the black wire go toward the outside edge of the receiver or does the white wire go there?
The receiver has 3 pins. I can see that 1 pin is farther away but the connectors have equal distance female holes. They easily go on either way... nice China fool proofing...
This should be a simply answer but I can easily be wrong and burn up the receiver. Let me know.
Thanks.
Danford1
danford1 is offline Find More Posts by danford1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2011, 05:17 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
It won't fry anything if reversed, but try the Radios forum..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 15, 2011, 05:17 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Black wire goes to the outside.
Red wire goes in the middle
White wire goes to the inside.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old May 16, 2011, 03:10 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,328 Posts
The are no guarantees that you wont fry the servo and or radio if you reverse them.

Use a multimeter to check, the rows of pins where the black and red wires would connect, are commoned up. The row of pins where the servo signal is are not.

However, if you dont know which way around they go, have you flown before ?
srnet is online now Find More Posts by srnet
Old May 16, 2011, 10:24 AM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
876 Posts
Reversing the servo's leads shouldn't damage it, since the negative leads will only be connected to the signal wire, and that shouldn't hurt anything. I've done it many times with no problems.

But as srnet is suggesting, if you aren't sure which way to plug the servos in, you probably haven't flown much, and a P-51 Mustang isn't a good choice for your first plane. They tip-stall easily and can be difficult to fly. I suggest you get someone who's experienced to help you, maybe use a buddy-box.
dmccormick001 is offline Find More Posts by dmccormick001
Old May 16, 2011, 11:42 AM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Rick already told him exactly how to connect it and just looking at the picture of the receiver would tell you that he is correct. The top position is missing one pin and is labeled BT so is obviously the battery connection, and the missing pin would be the signal side.
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555