HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by UBILDIT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:57 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,457 Posts
Build Log
X Crafts... B & V p.209 Scratchbuild?

Well,
It's been a long time since I've entered anything on RCG.... much less with pictures and a potential scratchbuild... but I felt like this attempt would be more suited to have a blog entry rather than a thread... just so I can see if the thing is going to work out or not. I found some paper model plans that my friend Vyceroy had given me and decided to build from scratch... from the 3 views that the paper model plans offered as they are supposed to be very scale.. They are all about a Nazi plane that was designed but never flown... as far as I know.. never built ... and it has a forward swept wing. Since I still have the FSW from a plane that no longer has a fuselage. I thought I'd scale it to match the span of that wing. So, I drew a profile of the plane and started adding formers to make what will hopefully be an EDF version of a plane that never flew. I guess we'll find out...

Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LaTrax Alias with a 1Si Camera
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2011, 09:58 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,176 Posts
Cool project. I'll be watching this build for sure.
That V-stab looks very small relative to the amount of forward side-area.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old May 15, 2011, 12:27 AM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,457 Posts
Yes...Yes it does

Whiskers,
You are right. The one I've got semi-glued on just for reference was just a good starting point. But it even looks small on the paper model. As far as I know, the plane had been modeled and wind tunnell tested, but I don't know any of the results. I imagine that since it was going to reach near super-sonic speed,...compared to any other plane flying at the time, a smaller vertical would be fine. Also, the Horizontal stabs have anhedrhal to them much like an F-4 Phantom. I will probably make them fixed with hinged surfaces, but full flying would be cool.. and since the craft was never built, I feel that a bit of creative license would be in order. I do plan to make the v stab bigger, but it will only be flying on aileron and rudder most likely... in this first one... Thanks for the comments.

Bo

P.S. if you can find out how many MPH = 938 km/h then we'll both know the projected speed of the finished product.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2011, 01:01 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,176 Posts
582.8462 MPH

Scale effect usually means the stabilizing surfaces need to be relatively larger with models.
Some guys go up 10% as a standard thing.
It'll be noticed when you fly it, that's for sure. I think it looks great.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:54 AM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,457 Posts
Quite Amazing really

I think the Germans were way ahead of their time with this one. It's really quite amazing. I'm hoping to put some small retracts and a steerable nose wheel inthe front.... just have to wait and see how much room I have. Oh, yes... I just remembered. The X-Bow by Hippo at FoamFly.com ... now Ready2Fly.com is the wing that I'll be using. It flew great, it just is only a wing now.. LOL...

Bo
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2011, 07:30 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,457 Posts
Progress is Good...

Here's some progress photo's. I've got a bit more of the bluecore foam ... still rough and un-sanded to shape... around the formers.. The intake tube, the fan and the exhaust tube are now all mounted and it runs up very smooth. I'm using the ESC from the Phase 3 Squall, which no longer lives... even though it's a lot more than I need, it runs a 4S lipo with no external b.e.c. and I will only have 3 -4 small servo's for it to power. It was made to run a ducted fan on 4S and I never had a problem with it in the Squall.
At full throttle in static tests, it peaked out at one time around 19.2 amps. the EDF unit is a 55mm GWS fan with the new screw on hub. It's got the GWS BL2028-4/G 3900 Kv motor which is rated for 3 or 4 lipo cells. It really runs better on 4. Thrust is claimed to be 15.8 oz with only a 19A current draw. I like it a lot. I've got the ESC and wires taped in place out of the way so I can seal it in with the rest of the sheeting and then the sanding and shaping can begin... after I test fit the wing. We'll see how it goes from there.

Bo
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2011, 09:20 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,176 Posts
Ja! Sehr gut!
Old May 17, 2011, 10:01 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,457 Posts
Austrailia..

Can I just say... I love people from Austrailia. I have met several in person while they were traveling here in the states, but all the others I've ever had any contact with are you and Boxhead. What a great guy. I have enjoyed every plane he's built and especially the "melon cam" he rigged so he could video his flights.
I'm making this post to make you an offer Whiskers... if the B&V p.209.2 works out and I end up building another one that's truly "super scale" .. because I do like to try and improve things that already work. LOL.. I will put the major components togther for you... if you're interested.... and even ship them to you. If you'll tell me what's likely to make there, I'll even include some of the electronics... I work in a Hobby Shop in charge of the RC department.... Just wanted to say thanks for the interest in my renewed desire to scratchbuild. I'm certainly enjoying it and it's nice to have someone looking in on it. Vyceroy gave me some live video comments on it just tonight which helped a lot. So.. if he likes it... since he's the one that gave me the paper model plans... I'll probably end up cutting out three of them... LOL... just let me know.. Thanks again..

Bo
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2011, 04:34 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,176 Posts
Bo, I am completely bowled over by your most kind and generous offer.
At first I thought I could not accept. After all, I feel I have not done anything to deserve such an amazing gift.
For now, let's see how the model works out (It'll be good, I can feel it) and well take it from there.
Thank you so much... I'm still stunned
Old May 18, 2011, 11:16 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,457 Posts
Fingers Crossed

Yep!
If this one flys even pretty good ... then there will be a reason to do a version 2 and incorporate changes ... mostly in the building steps and technique..I can say that for sure. The folded blue foam wing is actually pretty easy and I have the plans for it somewhere. It's actually not plans just a set of measurements ... a sharp knife, some clear tape and glue to hold it down at the trailing edge. But... like you said let's see how this one goes first.... have a good one..

Bo

P.S. Anyone who looks like a Monkey God deserves whatever plane they'd like to have... LOL... I read that story....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by UBILDIT; May 18, 2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: add a p.s.