HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2011, 06:34 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,792 Posts
Discussion
eSupra Scratch Build

Today I flew my 130" wingspan eSupra that I scratch built. The entire model was scratch built. It takes a little longer than I thought, but I am slow and too methodical at times. I was told: "Sooner or later you have to shoot the engineer and build the airplane". Good advice. :-)

However, what a plane!

The wing is over built for ALES as it could be hand towed for F3J so it's a multi purpose wing if you will. So with a new wing I could shave some weight off it but with the wing loading I have there is no reason to reduce the weight.

I'll share a quick build log in a few days when I get some spare time but for now here's a couple of photos and some more comments.

She flew better than I could have ever imagined! There were no trim changes, no balance adjustments, nothing. She flies very graciously and smooth. The launches are effortless as there is a lot of power on the 10Volts. It drew 45 amps static and climbed out at a 45-60 degree angle on a 13x8 prop. I am getting to soaring altitude in about 15 seconds and I get about five climbs out of the battery pack. I have a 14x7 prop to try as well. I might even try a 15” blade some day.

130” wingspan
76.4 ounces
Wing Area is 1017 sq inches
10.82 oz square foot Wing Loading
D200 servos in the wing for flaps and ailerons
D60 servos in the fin for the rudder and elevator
3S A123 batteries
Hyperion GS3020-08 motor
13x7 Aeronaut prop
Castle Creations Phoenix 60amp electronic speed controller

I just had a basic flight setup so I need program some camber and reflex.

There sure were a lot of oohhs & aahhs at the field today!

Most of the basic build procedures are in my instructional videos. The rest I got from RCGroups.

Curtis
Montana
www.TailwindGliders.com
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2011, 02:12 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,926 Posts
It looks wonderful. Congratulations on the build and problem free first flight.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old May 16, 2011, 03:46 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
great project, very long time on my "to build" list :P I am looking forward for you Build log did you finally change the spars?? and layout?? or just build it as per plans??

regards

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old May 16, 2011, 08:34 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Stainton View Post
It looks wonderful. Congratulations on the build and problem free first flight.

Neil.
Thanks Neil! I was going to send you a private message thanking you for your help but you found me first!

I really won't know how well she flies till I get to fly alongside someone else. There aren't any competitions in Montana, perhaps in a year or two I can change that, but there is someone else here who built a 120" Supra wing with a V-tail so that should be a fair comparison.

But for the first three flights and about a half dozen folks on the sticks everyone was more than impressed. One comment was there must be some lift as the L/D is amazing!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2011, 08:38 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
great project, very long time on my "to build" list :P I am looking forward for you Build log did you finally change the spars?? and layout?? or just build it as per plans??

regards

EZ
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post17595993

Here's how I did the spar. Make sure you see post #22! So far I can't tell any problems with the flying. It flies better than anything else I've ever flown. Now all my large Thermal Duration models are 15 years old. So this is a large step ahead for me.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2011, 11:18 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,792 Posts
eSupra's are in bloom in Montana!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; May 23, 2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old May 24, 2011, 07:30 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
Hey Curtis, did you count how log id it take you to build the supra?? I have seen some very big numbers more than 13 months in other threads

regards

EZ
Old May 24, 2011, 08:16 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
Hey Curtis, did you count how log id it take you to build the supra?? I have seen some very big numbers more than 13 months in other threads

regards

EZ
Ed,
The tail boom I made in the winter of 2010 for my instructional video.

I started on the pod the beginning of February this year. The wings I started in March of this year. So I'd say four months. I could have done it in half that time but we set record months flying at work in Jan/Feb and I had two weeks vacation in February in Hawaii. I also had a lots of issues with getting the paint to transfer and that was due to the epoxy. I switched to West Systems and problem solved. If it would have been a normal winter at work I probably would have finished in half the time. It seemed like I was working on it for a half hour at a time!

It's much easier than it seems on the outset.

My wife wants me to make another instructional DVD but I'm not so sure as I don't know what I'd like to teach yet. She suggested showing how to make an eSupra. I think Phil Barnes probably shows how to do all that in his video. I guess I need to purchase his video to see if there is something else I can teach that would be helpful to the modeling community that he perhaps omitted.

Curtis
Montana
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2011, 11:16 AM
Terre Haute, Indiana, USA
Joined Aug 2004
959 Posts
Curtis,

That is a nice job. And 4 months does not seem all that long -- would have taken me much longer!

I was wondering whether you expanded the fuse pod a bit to give you more room, relative to a factory-made eSupra. It looks like you have plenty of room in there for your power set-up.

FF
Forest Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Forest Flyer
Old May 24, 2011, 11:49 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Flyer View Post
Curtis,

I was wondering whether you expanded the fuse pod a bit to give you more room, relative to a factory-made eSupra. It looks like you have plenty of room in there for your power set-up.

FF
The thickest part of the fuselage is 2.25" diameter. Yes there is plenty of room. I thought it looked nicer being larger as the fuselage has to have a nice taper from the motor. Since I'm using an outrunner motor the wires get in the way forcing a larger diameter around the nose. The spinner is 40mm.

Thanks!
Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2011, 04:45 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
Hey Curtis thanks for your answer, I am starting a similar project, only 3m but the supra has always caught my eye. I will eventually build one. The pod I am working in is inspired in the supra and I could use it on it but the time and energy seem to be so rare for me in this days.

Regards

EZ
Old May 25, 2011, 12:20 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,792 Posts
I'm starting to enjoy building more than flying, but I suspect that's due to the fact that we don't compete here in Montana. but I hope to change that soon with ALES as the older folks might enjoy some friendly competition.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:28 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,792 Posts
I flew three wonderful flights on the eSupra today and I have to say that it is one awesome model. The Drela airfoils are simply amazing. If you have never flown one it is a treat, really. Perhaps one day I will actually try some balance changes and flight control adjustments, but it just flies so well straight off the work bench. Really, since the first flight I've done a couple clicks of elevator trim and that's it. No other adjustments have been needed. It's simply amazing.

I put the CAM in it today and I am getting motor shutdown at about a 29 second average. That is with the factor default setting of 200 meters. That is perfect, I couldn't be happier with my power setup. The Hyperion motor is very quiet and at about 200 feet I can't even hear it running.

My setup is a Hyperion GS 3020-08 motor 3S A123 cells which are 3.3 volts per cell and a 14x7 prop.

All the best
Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:36 AM