HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Fish99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:13 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
Discussion
Newest Bird - Parkzone P-47 Thunderbolt!

Well my wife got me a new plane for my birthday, the Parkzone P-47 Thunderbolt, also known as the JUG! What a nice plane. Flap and retract ready out of the box, z-foam so it is light and a parkflyer. AR600 Rx, 15 size electric motor so it has TONS of power. Nice finish, great looking bird.

I've had the Jug for almost 2 weeks now. I got it out right away and took a bunch of flight videos but only now got around to editting it together. First off, it flies great. I had some trimming to do, but after that it was ROCK solid, very true. TONS of rudder, elevator and aileron authority. NO problem with scale flight and minor aerobatics such as loops, rolls, Cuban 8's, Hammerheads, inverted flight, etc.

Take offs are as advertised, darn easy, ease into the throttle and the tail will lift in short order. Keep slowly increasing throttle and it's in the air in no time. Use some right rudder to keep it pointed straight and you should have no issues. Landings are also predictable and easy. I use full flaps to slow the jug down, as it wants to carry it's speed, it's very stable and lands well, even in some pretty justy conditions.

Retracts on order and I can't wait to get them installed. I missed the landing of the first flight, but it was good, trust me! To make up for it I have put together a bunch of take offs and landings afterwards, starting at 2:30 of the video. All were in pretty strong winds and cross winds, as the fields I fly at had obstructions in the flight path to t/o and land directly into the wind.

I am getting more capable with this bird every flight and am loving it. Keep on flying!

Marlin

Parkzone P-47 Thunderbolt Maiden, Landings and Takeoffs ... (10 min 2 sec)
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2011, 11:51 AM
Cumming, GA USA
Joined Jan 2011
222 Posts
P-47

Hey bro....I have one myself and I have about 50 flights on her. It totally rocks. I have the retracts and I sometimes takeoff with the gear down and then belly land her with the gear up in the grass (I have very little runway space but plenty of grass and air). I get no rash with the clear belly pan. Landing on the gear is so easy as well...she just floats in (although I am use to 9lb nitro warbirds from my years of flying). Here is the thing......be careful if you use retracts and/or flaps. The 30 amp ESC it past its limit and the BEC is way too low. When I first bought this plane back in December many people had a problem with this and lost their planes. Check out some of the discussions on the forum. I put a 60 amp ESC in for piece of mind, but I recommend a 40 amp ESC at the minimum. Enjoy this plane, I have 20 planes and she is one of my favorites. She flies so smooth and tracks perfectly. On high rates and expo you can do any maneuver other than 3D flying. Have fun with her.
warwickcorvette1 is offline Find More Posts by warwickcorvette1
Old May 14, 2011, 12:13 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jul 2009
75 Posts
P-47

I just ordered this plane from my LHS. At first I ordered airframe only. Then I did the math after doing some inventory and decided it was more cost effective to go BNF. I also ordered the retracts, so it will be full boat with flaps.

I've read all the rewiews I could find and have heared nothing negative.

I enjoyed your video. It gives a good view of flight performance.

This will be a nice change from Mach+ flights with all my EDF's.

I also upgraded to a 50A w/ 5V-3A bec.
skymaster62 is offline Find More Posts by skymaster62
Last edited by skymaster62; May 14, 2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: forgot to add.
Old May 14, 2011, 12:36 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warwickcorvette1 View Post
Hey bro....I have one myself and I have about 50 flights on her. It totally rocks. I have the retracts and I sometimes takeoff with the gear down and then belly land her with the gear up in the grass (I have very little runway space but plenty of grass and air). I get no rash with the clear belly pan. Landing on the gear is so easy as well...she just floats in (although I am use to 9lb nitro warbirds from my years of flying). Here is the thing......be careful if you use retracts and/or flaps. The 30 amp ESC it past its limit and the BEC is way too low. When I first bought this plane back in December many people had a problem with this and lost their planes. Check out some of the discussions on the forum. I put a 60 amp ESC in for piece of mind, but I recommend a 40 amp ESC at the minimum. Enjoy this plane, I have 20 planes and she is one of my favorites. She flies so smooth and tracks perfectly. On high rates and expo you can do any maneuver other than 3D flying. Have fun with her.
Thanks for the tip, I think I have a 40A ESC sitting in the garage, may swap it out for peace of mind! I put the skid plates on as well just so I could have flexibility. I sure love flying this bird, it's VERY stable, very predictable and looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster62 View Post
I just ordered this plane from my LHS. At first I ordered airframe only. Then I did the math after doing some inventory and decided it was more cost effective to go BNF. I also ordered the retracts, so it will be full boat with flaps.

I've read all the rewiews I could find and have heared nothing negative.

I enjoyed your video. It gives a good view of flight performance.

This will be a nice change from Mach+ flights with all my EDF's.

I also upgraded to a 50A w/ 5V-3A bec.
Same here, seen very little negative about it, but will have to look at the ESC. I find all the PZ birds to be great value for the money as you always get a solid, great flying nice looking plane with outstanding customer support.

Keep on flying gents!

Marlin
Old Jun 26, 2011, 01:06 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Awesome job Marlin! I've been eyting up this P-47 for some time.. You're making me want to pop and go get one!

BTW, love the Candy Dulfer "Lily Was Here"

VZ
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Jun 26, 2011, 01:43 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
Awesome job Marlin! I've been eyting up this P-47 for some time.. You're making me want to pop and go get one!

BTW, love the Candy Dulfer "Lily Was Here"

VZ
Thanks VZ, going to have to take some more video as I have the retracts installed and been flying the wings off it and LOVE the bird even more with the retracts.

Yeah, Dulfer is outstanding on the saxophone (and not too bad to look at either) and I think Sonny Rollins just amazes on the sax solos and parts in the Waiting On A Friend track by the Stones.

Thanks for the nice comment as well, it's a great bird, I enjoy flying it a ton.

Marlin
Old Jun 26, 2011, 03:23 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
She is great to look at as well as listen

I`m not quite sure what to get next, the PZ P-47, or a Starmax (or simular) P-51. I`ve been wanting one of those for some time as well....
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:39 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
She is great to look at as well as listen

I`m not quite sure what to get next, the PZ P-47, or a Starmax (or simular) P-51. I`ve been wanting one of those for some time as well....
Well, Parkzone should be announcing it's next Warbird this week, we hope, so if I am lucky it will be a newly updated PZ Spitfire with the features of the P-47. That would be an auto-buy for me.

Let me know what you decide on.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:38 PM
Joined Jun 2011
61 Posts
I agree with Fish99! A new spitfire with all of the extras parkzone gives you would be amazing. I've had my Jug for about 3 months now ive loved every flight!
gforceATC is offline Find More Posts by gforceATC
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:30 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Nice Marlin! A spitfire would be excellent!

I was at the hobby store today during lunch, he had the P-47 and a set of retracts on the counter ready for me to say "I'll take it!"... Dunno why, I just couldn't quite pull the trigger for various reasons... So I may adopt a wait and see what is announced
Old Jul 01, 2011, 02:29 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
Started some weathering on my P-47 tonight, using tips from the HH site for both the Eflite P-51b and the UM Mosquito. Very nice effect and I am really looking forward to taking this baby out to the flying field once I finish the weathering. She looks awesome.

Pics and another vid with the retracts to follow.

Marlin
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:29 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Looking forward to it!
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:53 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
Shot the video of the P-47 at the flying club with the RETRACTS. Still raw and but in the can, as they say. Have to get some time to edit it up and put it on my BLOG.

Weathering also turned out pretty good, I will shoot some still pics to show. Simple job, I did not go crazy, but it makes it look nicer on display.

Marlin
Old Nov 02, 2011, 08:42 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,190 Posts
Marlin,

Great job on the maiden! How windy was it?

The Jug is my favorite WWII fighter. My dad flew 'em in northern Italy from '42 until the end of the war. He flew with the 345th 'Devilhawks' squadron, 350th group.

I've been thinking about picking one up since HH announced it, but I wasn't sure if it could handle much wind, and I already have enough park-size planes that don't like the wind. Years ago, I built a 60-size Top Flite Jug kit, and she was a great-flying ship. Looks like this one also flies very well, and can handle some wind. When you drop the flaps, do you notice much pitch change? Also, how is the vertical performance?

Looking forward to seeing the retracts!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2011, 06:15 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
The PZ Jug is probably the best all around flying plane, in terms of stability, that PZ has put out, in my opinion. I absolutely LOVE the new Mk IX Spitfire, and it is a little faster and way more maneuverable, but the Jug just feels more STABLE in the air, especially in wind. It tracks very true.

I have flown it quite easily in some pretty breezy conditions (10-15 mph) without any problems. I would say the PZ P-51 BL Mustang (Gunfighter) might be just a bit better in the wind, but not a whole lot. It, however, is not near as nice a flyer as the P-47 in OVERALL terms.

The Vertical on the stock P-47 (which mine is) is pretty good. You can do some pretty decent sized loops from level flight, but it is BY NO MEANS unlimited. Much better than scale, but not a rocket.

I have two position flaps programed into my DX6i and I find that if I deploy them at or above 1/2 throttle I get a bit of ballooning up. Easy to manage with a bit of down elevator and it slows down quickly and needs nothing. If I deploy at 1/2 throttle after it has already slowed down nicely I get no noticable pitching.

I quite enjoy flying the Jug, and it handles the grass pretty well now that I put a small spacer under the rear side mounting screws (about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch) to give the gear a bit more forward rake.

It's not going to handle 25 mph winds or anything but mild to moderate winds are definately flyable, depending on your comfort and skill level.

Let me know if you pick one up Joel, would love to see the maiden.

Marlin