HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:23 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,820 Posts
How come you guys aren't useing the Reisenauer gearboxes? up to 8:1 gear ratio and very high quality. Mounting the larger GB might call for an F3S style mount where the GB sits infront of the airframe.

henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Last edited by henke; Jan 22, 2012 at 06:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:14 AM
RC Farmer
Joined Aug 2011
419 Posts
What is wrong with Kontronik Gearbox, they work fine with 3.5kW+ and they are half the price.
Farmer_Joe is offline Find More Posts by Farmer_Joe
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:09 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,067 Posts
Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
How come you guys aren't useing the Reisenauer gearboxes?
Answer...

Quote:
Mounting the larger GB might call for an F3S style mount where the GB sits infront of the airframe
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:00 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Seale View Post
Question...

Answer...

The small version of their gear box is nice.

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:06 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,820 Posts
Quote:
Question...

Answer..

Intresting that it always comes down to taking the easy way, even in the high performance forum.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:38 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu View Post
The small version of their gear box is nice.

Steve
I agree, but it is only rated for (from memory) 1000W.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:44 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,067 Posts
Quote:
Intresting that it always comes down to taking the easy way, even in the high performance forum.
If the more expensive gearbox offered a performance advantage everyone would be using it and the design of F5B models would follow form, even if this was more difficult. Truth of the matter is that Kontronik, Aveox and Plettenberg created a 'standard' that dictated a 32mm - 38mm diameter nose with the motor and gearbox inside the model. These gearboxes (the Neu gearbox is an evolution of the original Aveox) can all handle the current power levels so why change?

Mike
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:52 PM
Deutschland, RP, Niederzissen
Joined Dec 2011
871 Posts
Hallo,
The Reisenauer Super chief seems to be a little bit oversized for this application, its not only double the price,but aswell nearly double the weight of the KPG.
The 5/6mm shaft ist a very nice solution,but it reduces spinner-options for hotliner use!
The Micro-Edition NL ist tested(not recommended) up to 3 Kw, its running very smooth and silent and its got very good efficiency and less than half the KPG´S weight.
The high torque pinion is pretty long and has more surface to glue it on the shaft than the KPG;but 3KW and big props with hard start-up and brake may bring it to its limit!!

Andy told me that he is working at an solution in between Super-Chief and Micro-Edition NL, based on the ME NL with longer gears and steel-housing,this may be an alternativ option to the KPG

Regards

Yello
Mreyello is offline Find More Posts by Mreyello
Last edited by Mreyello; Jan 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:57 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreyello View Post
Andy told me that he is working at an solution in between Super-Chief and Micro-Edition
There's certainly a gap in the market here. I was looking for a gearbox for a Mega 22 series motor a while back and the micro was too small and the super too expensive. So I sold the motor.

Mike
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:57 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,820 Posts
Quote:
If the more expensive gearbox offered a performance advantage everyone would be using it and the design of F5B models would follow form, even if this was more difficult. Truth of the matter is that Kontronik, Aveox and Plettenberg created a 'standard' that dictated a 32mm - 38mm diameter nose with the motor and gearbox inside the model. These gearboxes (the Neu gearbox is an evolution of the original Aveox) can all handle the current power levels so why change?

Mike
Read the threads about the new era of F5B power in to F5D planes, smaller motors on higher cells counts still high current which calls for a hot wind motor which needs more reduction then the kontronik GB provides. So why not change?

I'm not saying the kontronik GB is bad, just that there are other options that might kick it up a notch
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:14 PM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreyello View Post
Hallo,

Andy told me that he is working at an solution in between Super-Chief and Micro-Edition NL, based on the ME NL with longer gears and steel-housing,this may be an alternativ option to the KPG
Regards

Yello
heheheopcorn :
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.
Last edited by Rolf D.; Jan 22, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:02 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
Just got some fresh loctite 680, the stuff I was using was in a clear container sitting on my bench by the window, probably not ideal...

New stuff is noticeably thinner and smellier, hopefully this fixes it, I am over pulling this gearbox to bits for the 4th time
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:28 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Wondering what the difference between Loctite 680 and 648 is. Neu a quite a few others recommend the 648. Then again, when I went the Loctite website, they must have had a dozen kinds of retaining compound.

The 648 is fairly thick and working great so far BTW.

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:32 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/680-EN.pdf
http://www.loctite.sg/sea/content_da...g_Compound.pdf

648 is better, slightly better temp VS strength, and better normal cure strength too...

Best try find me some

Edit - YIKES! Just found some 648 in NZ, $203NZ for 50mls
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:45 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/680-EN.pdf
http://www.loctite.sg/sea/content_da...g_Compound.pdf

648 is better, slightly better temp VS strength, and better normal cure strength too...

Best try find me some

Edit - YIKES! Just found some 648 in NZ, $203NZ for 50mls
If I can find a suitable container, I will be happy to send you some Unless you don't want to wait that long. The 10ml I have will last me at least 3 lifetimes.

Let me know.
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Last edited by Flyextreme; Jan 23, 2012 at 12:55 AM.