HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:43 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
I am genuinely sorry for Futaba, having been a committed user of their gear since 1971, but I really think they have lost the plot with their 2.4 sets. The biggest downside for me as an electric flyer is the lack of telemetry and even their software has been eclipsed by the new Spektrum Airware (IMHO). I am a sports flyer and I don't need high frame rates or fancy airborne system architectures. What I DO need is stuff to work together...
I am also an electric flyer and have been very happy with the Aurora 9, especially with voltage telemetry. At the moment, Futaba does not have the telemetry yet, but I think it will come out with a nice telemetry package pretty soon. It comes out later but better.

Regarding telemetry, it will be difficult to find any radio system with telemetry for less than $250.00. There's the DX8 ($420.00) with too many issues and recalls. I am happy trying the DX6i and owning the Aurora 9, but I will probably invest more for Futaba on the high end side (reliability). Frame rate & delay probably do not matter to you, but they matter for many others (3D planes and helicopters), and we need to consider quality as well.

For sport flyer, if telemetry is needed, Aurora 9 is a good choice since Optima 6 receivers are quite cheap. You could get one for as low as $35.00 each (~15g). I am not sure if Spektrum rx for the DX8 with telemetry could go this low and this light.

Otherwise, Futaba pretty much satisfies most of the higher end customer.
Just my opinion.

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:50 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
At $150.00 (Tx + Rx), the 6J pretty much satisfies most of the beginner pilots. If more features are needed (such as telemetry) --> higher price and no longer an entry level radio.

Give Futaba some time to complete what it wants to do.

Vien
Old Jun 29, 2011, 02:56 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,009 Posts
The one knob at center is messing up the general looks of the transmitter.
Time for Futaba to finally get rit of that plastic handgrip and replace it with a metal handgrip.
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:34 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
I don't understand this FHSS vs. FASST. I thought all of Futaba's 2.4 radios were FASST. Where did FHSS and S-FHSS come from?

I have 2 9C Supers, one of which is on Spektrum 2.4.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:25 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,661 Posts
aeajr,

Futaba's FHSS was introduced to get the price of entry level receivers down to compete with Spektrum etc. It has been speculated that the chip-set needed for FASST is too costly to allow them to achieve this. We understand that the FASST system had previously been developed for industrial controls where cost isn't so much of an issue but reliability is. The new high end 18MZ TX is compatible with both systems the only question that remains is how far down the range will dual compatibility extend when they bring out more new TXs

A..
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:36 AM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,253 Posts
Here’s my take on this.

I think we are going to see a software upgrade for the 8FG, 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ so that is compatible with the Futaba entry level S-FHSS receivers.

So what about the non upgradable radios like 7C and 10C?

I can see a new radio to replace the 7C, perhaps the 7FG?

What about the 10C? Well… I can see this radio discontinued in the near future, you can do lot more with the newer 8FG.

This is all my opinion,
Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:10 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
...Regarding telemetry, it will be difficult to find any radio system with telemetry for less than $250.00. ...Vien
9x with Frsky, $120.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:12 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne View Post
aeajr,

Futaba's FHSS was introduced to get the price of entry level receivers down to compete with Spektrum etc. It has been speculated that the chip-set needed for FASST is too costly to allow them to achieve this. We understand that the FASST system had previously been developed for industrial controls where cost isn't so much of an issue but reliability is. The new high end 18MZ TX is compatible with both systems the only question that remains is how far down the range will dual compatibility extend when they bring out more new TXs

A..
Frsky did the job for $30 the 8ch receiver.
It has better range than the Futaba counterpart costing 3x more.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:31 AM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act View Post
The one knob at center is messing up the general looks of the transmitter.
Time for Futaba to finally get rit of that plastic handgrip and replace it with a metal handgrip.
It may give it that "cyclops look" but a proportional knob is always handy. More low end radios should have proportional sliders or knobs.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:44 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Frsky did the job for $30 the 8ch receiver.
It has better range than the Futaba counterpart costing 3x more.
Any sources to confirm that? An optima 6 with telemetry is also $35.00, but we are talking about a complete radio system (tx + rx). Can a 9X with Frsky do what an Aurora 9 does? Also, are you willing to use the 9X + Frsky receiver in a giant scale 3D plane? We are talking about high quality radio system (with telemetry) not just telemetry alone, IMO.

Vien
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:26 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
I think we are going to see a software upgrade for the 8FG, 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ so that is compatible with the Futaba entry level S-FHSS receivers.
Don't sure about the new upgrade but you will see a new 8ch and 10ch transmitter for the next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
What about the 10C? Well… I can see this radio discontinued in the near future, you can do lot more with the newer 8FG.
You will see a new 8ch S.FHSS module. Right now there is only a 6ch Rx made for. http://www.f-sangyo.co.jp/shop/goods...=4513886023064
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 01, 2011, 02:32 PM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Hadsten
Joined Jul 2010
94 Posts
I don't get it. FHSS does not seem to bring ANY benefit compared to FASST. Right? It is a bogus argument that FASST is too expensive, as FrSky has shown it is very possible to make cheap FASST receivers (I have 4 perfectly working specimens). Pushing the 18MZ as an upgrade path?? Get serious!

I own an 8FG, which is a _fine_ radio - but I would never buy the 6J or recommend it to anyone. If I were to buy a cheaper radio I would try the 9X instead. With a FrSky module and FASST compatible receivers it would offer a viable upgrade path to the 8FG!

Instead of introducing a new backwards incompatible system, why don't they stick with FASST for the low end and FASSTEST for the high end? Why don't they use their resources for introducing telemetry instead, which is seriously late to the market.

It is a competitive market. It is no longer viable to do all this market segmenting and internal incompatibility. Why is Futaba pissing of their existing customers?
Tomve is offline Find More Posts by Tomve
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:01 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomve View Post
Pushing the 18MZ as an upgrade path?? Get serious!
Mentioning it as a possible upgrade path is hardly pushing it. The information is correct as it is a possibility, however remote.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2011, 04:10 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
Any sources to confirm that?
Confirm what, more range? Sure, FPV flights. Dropped all Futaba genuine receivers in favor of Frsky compatible. Big difference...

An optima 6 with telemetry is also $35.00, but we are talking about a complete radio system (tx + rx). Can a 9X with Frsky do what an Aurora 9 does?
MORE ! A 9x with Frsky can do what the owner want, not the manufacturer want. A mfr which proved has a limited vision, I know what's inside Aurora better.

Also, are you willing to use the 9X + Frsky receiver in a giant scale 3D plane?
What about a 9kg turbine jet ?

We are talking about high quality radio system (with telemetry) not just telemetry alone, IMO.
LOL about high quality

Vien
I don't know why they bought Multiplex if they don't learn from that design...
Old Jul 02, 2011, 09:02 PM
Joined Sep 2004
98 Posts
vienquach: If you are still interested in a 6J radio,I have a new one only charged & played with a little. it also comes with the recomended 5 cell xmtr pack,charger,manual
and original box. $135 shipped US 48. PM me if you are interested. could not contact you any other way. thanks bob
oc500 is offline Find More Posts by oc500