HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by wamsy55, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 12, 2011, 09:53 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,471 Posts
Discussion
Mini Stormbach 20" V2

Here is the Mini Stormbach my friend Stormdriverone made ...

As you can see if flies very well and it very fun !

He added some right thrust and moved the battery and it flies even better than the original.

Mini S-bach ... Otherwise known As A Stormbach ... (4 min 5 sec)
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2011, 12:02 PM
Dleep
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
246 Posts
nice

That fly's very well for such a small plane. Great job!
dleep
dleep is offline Find More Posts by dleep
Old May 13, 2011, 07:06 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,296 Posts
Thanks! I almost gave up on it.

The initial build was too heavy but I managed to get the weight down to 3.4 oz fully loaded using small but standard parts from the LHS. No ultra micro gear needed! Then the 10g Hobbypartz motor I ordered for it sucked horribly and started to fry on the first run. Replaced that with the Rimfire 200. Experimented with various props to find a balance of thrust, speed and torque that worked well with it. Finally, the re-balancing of electronics and battery against the torque + thrust angle adjustment were the final steps to get it to fly like that.

There is a video, shot right before that one, of it doing rollers right into the weeds because Wamsy couldn't keep up with the insane roll rate. I dropped the throws to around 80% and then we shot the video above.
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:08 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post
Thanks! I almost gave up on it.

The initial build was too heavy but I managed to get the weight down to 3.4 oz fully loaded using small but standard parts from the LHS. No ultra micro gear needed! Then the 10g Hobbypartz motor I ordered for it sucked horribly and started to fry on the first run. Replaced that with the Rimfire 200. Experimented with various props to find a balance of thrust, speed and torque that worked well with it. Finally, the re-balancing of electronics and battery against the torque + thrust angle adjustment were the final steps to get it to fly like that.

There is a video, shot right before that one, of it doing rollers right into the weeds because Wamsy couldn't keep up with the insane roll rate. I dropped the throws to around 80% and then we shot the video above.
It would probably be better next time to lower the aileron rate even lower ...
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old May 14, 2011, 02:30 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,296 Posts
I need triple rates!

But I bought a plane instead.
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.