HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 12, 2011, 09:44 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
133 Posts
Discussion
P-47 Power 15 Motor & Stock 30AMP ESC, Can you do so?

I crashed my Parkzone P47-D yesterday and the stock motor snapped in half near where it bolts to the motor mount. I know its toast. So I went to the hobby shop here in Vegas and bought an eflite power 15 motor for it, the 950 kv version. The Power 15 has the following specs: Continuous Current = 34A, Max burst current = 42A (15 sec), and cells up to 4 lipo. I was going to use the stock 30 AMP Pro Eflite SB Brushless ESC with it, can I do so? I am running 3 cell 5000 mah 30c and 45 c thunderpower batteries. The props which I have are the standard Parkzone T-28 prop, the Parkzone Extra 300 prop, and a few plastic APC 11 x 7 E props. Which prop should I run, as I have no clue? I know they all work but the APC ones seem like they have a much wider blade, and seem more rigid and better made than the Parkzone ones. I did not want to spend the money on a new esc unless I absolutely have to. Have any of you run this combination on your Parkzone aircraft? Thanks again and please advise.
VEGAS_RC_ACE is offline Find More Posts by VEGAS_RC_ACE
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 11:52 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
You can run the T-28 prop on three cell which is the stock setup. A wattmeter would tell you what props you can use for a particular setup.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10080

I've run a extra 300 prop on a 30 amp esc but it pulls 29amps. Your setup may vary with a difference in batteries and the eflite 15 which should be the same but you don't know for sure till you check it.

If you want to run a 4 cell you will need a bigger esc. It better to have a bigger esc than you need obviously. I had a brown out with my bird which I guesses it was the esc so I put a eflite 60 amp in it and haven't had a problem since.

If you do a Search in the P-47 thread you will find alot of information.
Good Luck, TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old May 13, 2011, 10:56 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,256 Posts
I would go to at least a 40amp esc with this motor battery combo. Plus with the 40 and 60 amp esc you get a higher rated bec. Less chance of brown outs and the like. And it will give you more wiggle room to try differnt props when you want tp see just how fast you can make it go. Or for a nice scale, but amp hungry 4 blade.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old May 13, 2011, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2011
133 Posts
Thx guys... I heard of people using this motor on the Eflite apprentice with the same stock 30 AMP ESC without issues? Do you guys really think that I need to upgrade the ESC? Thx again for all your help!
Old May 13, 2011, 02:53 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGAS_RC_ACE View Post
Thx guys... I heard of people using this motor on the Eflite apprentice with the same stock 30 AMP ESC without issues? Do you guys really think that I need to upgrade the ESC? Thx again for all your help!
The power 15 in the Apprentice is not the same motor. Diff Kv so the amp draw will be different, plus no retracts to draw current from the bec on the Apprentice.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:55 PM
Joined Apr 2011
133 Posts
Thx, but I meant that people are using it as an upgrade in their apprentice with the same stock 30 amp esc... I am not running any retracts on my P-47D as well...
Old May 13, 2011, 09:24 PM
Joined Apr 2011
133 Posts
I followed your advice picked up an EFLITE 60 AMP ESC for $70 on ebay... This should work for this motor and any new ones that I get. Thanks again!
Old May 13, 2011, 09:56 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGAS_RC_ACE View Post
I followed your advice picked up an EFLITE 60 AMP ESC for $70 on ebay... This should work for this motor and any new ones that I get. Thanks again!
Good idea. I'm finding that when I buy an esc that JUST fits the needs, I soon outgrow those needs and end up buying a bigger one down the road.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:51 PM
Joined Apr 2011
133 Posts
Thanks again V2!
Closed Thread