HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2011, 08:56 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
384 Posts
Discussion
Suggestions for a father/son (9 year old) scratch build RC project?

Hello Everyone,
I got into RC last year for FPV. I fly an Easystar and an Ember 2. I've been trying to include my nine-year-old, but he is terrified of crashing and won't take the stick.
I'd like to try a different tack, a joint project where he can do most of the hands-on stuff and I can help him as needed. I want to do it from scratch so he can build it himself from top to bottom (inside and out).
I'd like suggestions on a model for this purpose. Something slow and stable and forgiving would be ideal.
I'm thinking something like the EZFly or the FoamFly Frog. Are there others I should consider? My plan is to put together several (6?) models and have him choose which one he'd like the most.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
SquireM is online now Find More Posts by SquireM
Last edited by SquireM; May 12, 2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: addition
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 09:13 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,733 Posts
Trainer1 and BluBeagle are both quick easy builds. BluBeagle is more whimsical, might work well for the younger guy. They are both easy flying floaters, profiles, work well with smaller lower power motors. The Trainer one was originally set up for nimh batteries and brushed motors, so probably should have the nose extended a bit to get good balance.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2011, 10:13 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
I think if both of you can fly, you would like the twins cargo plane.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old May 13, 2011, 01:05 AM
United Kingdom, England, Portsmouth
Joined Jan 2009
689 Posts
do a flying wing.....uber simple.....uber fun.....uber easy to fly.
try the 48" divinity kfm4, great wing super stable and dam near fool proof.

all only my opinion.

P.S. as it would only have 2 servos not so much to lose if it dose crash and burn.
rcta15 is offline Find More Posts by rcta15
Old May 13, 2011, 07:52 AM
Unregulated User
East/Central Florida
Joined Feb 2009
176 Posts
I sure hope you aren't teaching to fly FPV instead of conventional flying
second I would get a good simulator - kids relate to computer games and treat it as such. My Grand kids are pretty proficent flying on my simulator and are nearly ready to fly a real one and the oldest is 6. Third have a friend lend you a TX controller and set it up in the Trainer Mode - That should give him confidence. Also when you do your first attempt do it early in the morning (Low wind speed and greatest attention for a 9 year old) Also, go through several flights to show consistancies of doing the same thing and getting the same results. That will instill confidence.
About the plane - Here is the best link for potential builds EVER !!!!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1333878
The best place to start, just page down through the pictures untill you find one you think He can fly - KIS - Keep it Simple - for your first build. Bigger is easier to fly and to find the CG on probably over 36 inch ws 48 inch would be better. Good luck
MIJohn is offline Find More Posts by MIJohn
Old May 13, 2011, 09:15 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,608 Posts
Keep the Frog on the list. Frog is very easy to build and fly.

Next step up would be the Oshkosh Special. A slightly more involved build, but also very easy to fly and a more scale like plane.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old May 13, 2011, 09:52 AM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,474 Posts
ezfly by motorhead is what my 8 yr old daughter flys
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old May 13, 2011, 10:52 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJohn View Post
I sure hope you aren't teaching to fly FPV instead of conventional flying
No, he'll need to become proficient flying regular RC before attempting FPV. He really likes the simulators at the hobby store but seems to enjoy spectacular crashes more than attempts at gentle landings. He says if we buy a simulator he'll get serious about it. At the store it's just a game. I think it all feels unapproachable to him, which is why I want to do this build.
SquireM is online now Find More Posts by SquireM
Old May 13, 2011, 11:38 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,803 Posts
I have taught all three of my kids to fly and they are all still at it. 19 year old son and 17 year old twin daughters. A few tips if I may.

Do not let him choose his first few models as he will want the go fast cool stuff. Stick with the easy to fly stuff and once he gets the hang of it make games with it. Like trying to knock a foam cup over without touching the wheels on the ground. Things like that make them better pilots.

Do use a buddy box. He will learn very fast without damage to his plane.

Give up some of, if not all of your flight time to help him. By putting all your flying to the side for a bit he will learn very quick. The rewards are great now for me because I took that time for them. It is a regular family day for us now to get out and have fun flying combat or whatever and I know they can handle anything they fly.

Take him to RC events where he can see kids flying and not just old guys. The young people can be encouraging to him.

The main planes I used for instruction was a GWS Cub and some Qtees.

Hope this helps.
Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old May 13, 2011, 08:13 PM
Norway
Joined Feb 2010
602 Posts
I had great fun building with depron (similar to fan fold foam and dollar store boards), and learning to fly on my own.
The first model I built was the Blazy Bee. The mono-block fuselage makes it easy to build and get everything square, and the large wing and a modest 20-30 gram motor and 2s500mah battery made it a real slow flyer, she would float on forever. She even flew fine with an 1800mah 2s battery pack.
The "blu-baby" is quite similar in construction, but has a more normal wing and longer tail.
meshyx is offline Find More Posts by meshyx