HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2011, 05:25 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,419 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake 1/6 Fokker D.VII

Some time ago, Peter Rake asked if I was interested in building the rare Albatros DXI and I thought it might make a good 'in between' build - as per plan and keep it simple (!) but while researching the little Alby, I kept seeing pictures of that other major German fighting machine - the Fokker DVII.
Although the type appears in just about every kit and ARF manufacturers catalogues, I started getting a little keen on it. Here was an aircraft that looked ugly, tough, had 'stuff' hanging off it everywhere - a big exposed engine and guns the typical Fokker/Albatros style cockpit and available in any colour scheme of my choosing - almost.
Pete had suggested that I'd not done the dreaded lozenge pattern before and implied the DXI might fill that gap and it will. But the DVII was still nagging me.
I searched for and found masses of documentation - the Datafile mob have several books coving many variants, plus I've scrounged some other text on decor, details etc. Also Michael Fletchers excellent CD containing thousands of WWI detail drawings with many of the DVII. As well, my favourite restoration sites in France and New Zealand have many excellent pictures.
Peter Rake didn't have an up-to-date CAD version but generously offered to draw one up in 1/6 scale to meet my minimal requirements - more of that later.

...to be continued

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Feb 05, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 05:30 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,431 Posts
Sigh...

Good size.

How's the Spad going?

Roj's hobbies have one on their Specials list that keeps nagging away at me.

Cheers,

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old May 12, 2011, 08:21 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,419 Posts
Hugh - the SPAD? It's one of those tasks that I'll get back to as suits my mood It is a great kit - but fairly expensive locally I imagine...

At 1/6 scale, the DVII is around 55" span - just small enough to be built as a one piece model. Like the DVIII after it, the wings are thick and tapered which gives Peter a bit more work to do at the drawing board. After some discussion, we opted for a laser-cut solid 3/16 bass, full depth main spar and a tapered rear spar both spliced to form one piece upper and lower wings. The lower fits into a cutout in the fuselage. Aileron linkage is as per full size with cables running inside the top wing back into the fuselage. The cockpit area has been kept clear to allow for any detailing, and the battery/motor access is by removing a large hatch which includes the dummy motor and most of the radiator. The remainder of the build will be fairly straightforward.

I purchased (as I often do) a small plastic kit of the type - a 1/48 Eduard kit containing a sheet of photo etched parts and decals that probably almost exceed the detail I wanted to do at 8X the size I've shown a photo of these parts - the etched Spandau jacket is about 1cm long! Also pictured is the Manzano box contents - 24 sheets of ply (1/64 - 1/8), balsa and bass - all looking very nice - as usual.
But first I want to get the wing fixed to the Morane-Saulnier and make a start on the simpler Albatros DXI!

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old May 12, 2011, 08:28 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,431 Posts
Looks great Pat.

The Peter Rake treatment will suit this subject ideally I think.

Those Eduard kits are pretty cool... I have a few in my old Plastic model stash... One of my favourite builds was their Albatros W4.

And I was always buying etched sets for other kits.

I will be watching this build with great interest.

Hugh
Old May 12, 2011, 09:29 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,375 Posts
And now we have another foe for the 1/6 scale SPAD and SE-5A! And the DVa has a flying buddy!

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 12, 2011, 09:29 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,567 Posts
This will be good...
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old May 13, 2011, 03:04 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,035 Posts
Looking forward to this one. The Eduard kit is fantastic too. Will you be building that or just using it for reference? I built that kit when it was first released and thoroughly enjoyed it - even applying the individual rib tapes!
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old May 13, 2011, 03:12 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
There is no stopping you Pat, looking forward to this one as well!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old May 13, 2011, 12:23 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,158 Posts
subscribed!
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old May 13, 2011, 02:59 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,466 Posts
As long as they aren't ARTF, you simply can't have too many DVIIs.
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old May 13, 2011, 07:24 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,431 Posts
There are only two ARF DVIIs available as far as I am aware and they are both just the wrong size... And from what I have seen of the work required to get the bigger one anything like scale, it's just not worth the hassle (and the initial purchase price).

Cheers,

Hugh
Old May 13, 2011, 08:51 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
this is right up my alley.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 16, 2011, 02:04 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt View Post
this is right up my alley.
And mine, too! Any Fokker DVII is welcome, and with Pat's level of craftsmanship this should be a fun ride...

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old May 16, 2011, 03:10 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,466 Posts
Pete,
Especially since, from the requests Pat made, I think some of hammerd's influence is coming through in this one. What have I started?

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:26 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,419 Posts
Some Inspiration to get on with a D.VII.....

I've been accumulating a box full of D.VII goodies for a few months now - Charlie must be wondering if I was ever going to start this one But, with the DXI mostly dealt with, and Morane Saulnier as near as dammit finished, I feel my conscience will let me pore over the next major project. Still a Lysander and SPAD to do but they are really long-term jobs.

During a recent Scale Competition day, I espied a rather nice 1/4 scale D.VII which I immediately took to be a BUSA kit but found was a total scratch build of the Gary Sunderland plan. My interest was piqued and after a long chat with the builder, came away enthused, invigorated and with a bunch of ideas about the 'little' 1/6 version.

So here are some photos that give me courage. The lozenges are airbrushed and look superb - just the right level of colour saturation. The Spandau's are scratch built from 1/64 ply etc and all the cockpit parts are hand made - no photo etching etc. An inspiring model that won a well deserved prize!

Next - back to my box of bits

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Oct 24, 2011 at 03:31 PM.