HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:52 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,160 Posts
It adds up real fast. I did the same thing with my 250. I have a lot more invested in my HK250 than if I just got the Align and to make things worst I still have some HK parts that will need to be replaced and I will never honestly be able to sell it as a Trex.

Align has some blame as well. Today they only want to sell their kits as combos. I am sure there is a reason for this. Either people complained about problems and Align found 80% of those to be people using wrong or poor electronics. Possible they found more money to be made is in selling the electronics.

People like myself don't have the $500 to shell out at once or we already have the electrics and only need the kit. The clones started out a good deal (must of been before they had their own bearing supply) but as I found with the 250 all that went out the door.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:19 AM
United States, CA, Palm Springs
Joined Jan 2003
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post
If you had any heli with over 100hrs on it, you should have replaced several parts just for safety. I believe that you were extremely fortunate.

Also, the kit that you mention has standard Align gears from the factory, so why are you comparing apples to oranges? Buy the normal white gears if you want to make the comparison. 450 Parts are extremely cheap, so there is no way that I will believe that you spent $170 for new screws, bearings, and four new gears... Nope not buying it.
The Align heli with 100 hours on it truly needed nothing aside from new rubber main rotor dampers as those do wear out with time. But that was a $5 fix. The bearings still work as new on it and that could be due to me oiling them after every five flights from the day it was new. Either way it really isn't worth the time to quantify exactly what the cost is that is needed to repair the HK kit up to a decent standard of reliability. The bottom line is that it is a piece of junk and that was the point I was making. It is very unfortunate that there are beginners out there getting into the hobby and their first experience will be with an unreliable heli which may discourage them from continuing on. I guess though that the rule of "you get what you pay for" is true in this case so assuming that, the HK heli is a great deal.
rossdogarr is offline Find More Posts by rossdogarr
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:22 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossdogarr View Post
The Align heli with 100 hours on it truly needed nothing aside from new rubber main rotor dampers as those do wear out with time. But that was a $5 fix. The bearings still work as new on it and that could be due to me oiling them after every five flights from the day it was new. Either way it really isn't worth the time to quantify exactly what the cost is that is needed to repair the HK kit up to a decent standard of reliability. The bottom line is that it is a piece of junk and that was the point I was making. It is very unfortunate that there are beginners out there getting into the hobby and their first experience will be with an unreliable heli which may discourage them from continuing on. I guess though that the rule of "you get what you pay for" is true in this case so assuming that, the HK heli is a great deal.
These are the sorts of comments we welcome, i.e., the sorts of problems one has in the long run.

I've been flying it every chance I get now that my eyes have been fixed. The only repair I've made thus far is to replace the tail driveshaft and gear up in the frame. The tail rotor dug into some soft ground during a landing and stripped both parts. Back in the air for ten bucks. I'm seriously considering a new set of main drive gears only because the autorotation gear was out of true from the get-go.

I honestly hope that HK is taking note. These sorts of problems will sell some inexpensive airframes, but they aren't likely to make any repeat customers.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Dec 05, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:47 AM
United States, CA, Palm Springs
Joined Jan 2003
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DismayingObservation View Post
These are the sorts of comments we welcome, i.e., the sorts of problems one has in the long run.

I've been flying it every chance I get now that my eyes have been fixed. The only repair I've made thus far is to replace the tail driveshaft and gear up in the frame. The tail rotor dug into some soft ground during a landing and stripped both parts. Back in the air for ten bucks. I'm seriously considering a new set of main drive gears only because the autorotation gear was out of true from the get-go.

I honestly hope that HK is taking note. These sorts of problems will sell some inexpensive airframes, but they aren't likely to make any repeat customers.
I hope they are taking note too. The reality is that if some of the common wear items were upgraded with the HK kit prior to taking them to market the cost of the heli could still easily be kept below $150 which is still a smoking deal.
rossdogarr is offline Find More Posts by rossdogarr
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:16 AM
Romeo, MI
Joined Jul 2003
150 Posts
Hey DismayingObservation...I noticed that you didn't mention the pinion gear you are using with your Typhoon 2215H motor in your list of items to buy, or anywhere in your review. Could you please let me know what pinion gear you are using?

Thank you,

Mark
3D Romeo is offline Find More Posts by 3D Romeo
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:02 AM
Speed = spectacular potential
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Romeo View Post
Hey DismayingObservation...I noticed that you didn't mention the pinion gear you are using with your Typhoon 2215H motor in your list of items to buy, or anywhere in your review. Could you please let me know what pinion gear you are using?

Thank you,

Mark
If it helps, I ran my Typhoon 2215 rated at 3550 kv with both 11 and 12 tooth pinions. Plus, I have a RPM sensor and telemetry to send back real-time RPM and voltage to the radio. My findings are that the 11 tooth is nice in that it gets you about 3000 rpm with a fresh 2200 battery at WOT and has faster response. Plus, you cannot over RPM the head with a 11 tooth. Though, the 12 tooth using a throttle curve at about 88% max to limit to 3K rpm runs in this motors efficiency curve more and gives better flight time. For comparison, I got ~7:30 flights with a 12tooth limited to 3k and only ~7:00 flights with a 11 tooth maxing at 3K and dropping to 2700 as it runs low.

After testing both pinions, I am going back to a 12 tooth on this motor using a throttle curve to limit the head speed. I felt the 12tooth had less RPM drop as the battery depletes and was able to keep the RPM closest to 3k the entire flight. Though, if your radio does not support throttle curves, then it would probably be best t to stick with the 11 tooth.
blacknoise is offline Find More Posts by blacknoise
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:34 PM
Romeo, MI
Joined Jul 2003
150 Posts
Thanks for the reply blacknoise...I was kind of surprised that the pinion gear wasn't mentioned in the list of items needed in the review. Nothing major for those that have built one of these before. But for those of us that are putting one of these together for the first time it could have been a costly inconvenience. Luckily I found out about it before placing my order.

Other than that, I was very pleased with the detail that DismayingObservation went into on every other component used in his review. It sure made it easy to put together my shopping list when it came time to order all the supporting equipment.

Mark
3D Romeo is offline Find More Posts by 3D Romeo
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:00 AM
Australia, NSW, Burrill Lake
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
hello im a newbee to this site ive just purchased a 450tt pro all in one kit i hope i dont have problems ive got to wait for ehibro to go back after their new year im looking forward to putting it together ive just reciently crashed my 4g6s and decided to get the clone ive seen how good they are in the wind
wayne south coast nsw
ps dose aneyone know if there is a club on the south coast
waynesmith1 is offline Find More Posts by waynesmith1