HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:06 PM
"Every boy has a dream to fly"
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
I got new motors and escs! Calibrated all 4 escs! armed it, motors spool up and i throttle up and it shuts off! Hmm? help!
Airplanekid333 is offline Find More Posts by Airplanekid333
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:09 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
Which board you got there buddy?
I did forget!
DoctorAudio is online now Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:54 PM
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
I got new motors and Escs! i calibrated all of my escs, armed it and motors spooled up, but i push up the throttle it instantly goes full power and then stops. hmm! whats the deal here?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:27 AM
United States, MI, Montague
Joined Jun 2012
16 Posts
A Little Fun in the Sun and Snow

This is my first post here, as an intro...
I have a FPVmanuals Delrin tricopter kit w/ NX4008 motors, 4s 3300 batt, turnigy plush 18a esc's, 10"x3.8" props currently, 18" hd wood arms, a number of mods and of course a Quadrino Zoom fc! Also added cam tilt stab. Weight is 3.4 lbs (1540g). Oh, and my RC is currently a Dragonlink LRS w/Futaba 6exp (removed the 72mhz tx section). And video is from gopro to OSD, to 200mw 1.3ghz Tx, to Rx, to Fatshark aviator via 40mw 2.4ghz link.

Here's an FPV video I did yesterday, I'm still transitioning from plane to copter piloting. At the end is a walk around of the setup:
FPV winter fun (6 min 47 sec)

Until the Dragonlink I couldn't fly like this because the RC would glitch severly and crash me, now I don't have the constant worry!

Now I'm trying to eliminate that vibration, worn motors?(they ate alot of dirt last summer ), replaced some bearings and balanced but still some shaft play.
~GM
meyermicro is offline Find More Posts by meyermicro
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:02 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
Okay, did you check all your connections?
If all you did was change the motors and ESC's. That is where your issue is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanekid333 View Post
I got new motors and Escs! i calibrated all of my escs, armed it and motors spooled up, but i push up the throttle it instantly goes full power and then stops. hmm! whats the deal here?
Last edited by DoctorAudio; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:06 AM
Jon
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Nov 2012
24 Posts
I have questions on failsafe with my Quadrino controller. After an excellent discussion on Sunday with Colin about failsafe, I decided to try it out last night using a test procedure recommended by Colin and others. Here's what I did:

Powered up the quad (with props attached) in the house and held it down to the ground with my wife helping me on the transmitter. She throttled up the transmitter while I held the quad down. Once it was a little over half throttle, she turned off the transmitter. About a second later the motors just stopped turning.

I'm pretty sure I have the software configured properly (after Colin walked us through it Sunday). I power the Quadrino from the BEC on Motor A. The receiver gets it power from the Quadrino board. After the transmitter has been turned off, the Quadrino board still has lights and is powered on.

Based on the conversation Sunday, what should happen is the Quadrino should after 1 second of no transmitter signal, set the motors to the startup level (1175) plus the offset in the software (currently 200). The board should keep them there for 20 seconds and then shut the motors off.

Any suggestions?
jspieker is offline Find More Posts by jspieker
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:21 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
When you shut the radio off did, the ACC light come on?
What radio system your using?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:29 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
Hi Gerry,
When you had these issues with 2.4 for your radio, did you have a Lowpass filter?
I tried flying with 1.3GHZ VTX and 2.4 for control, with no lowpass filter or notch filter.
It I got about a 100 yards before I lost control and it fell out of the sky.

After that I pickuped a Lowpass filter, I was able to go 500 meters easy. There was no issues of giltching or anything else.
Now that, I have found out that there is a beacon near my house that has a 4 second interval pulse.
On some days that pulse not only messes with 1.3GHZ but also 5.8 GHZ.
Which could mean something is not working the way it should be.
But, when I get to other areas to fly I don't have any issues unless I have crashed and broken a VTX or the antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermicro View Post
This is my first post here, as an intro...
I have a FPVmanuals Delrin tricopter kit w/ NX4008 motors, 4s 3300 batt, turnigy plush 18a esc's, 10"x3.8" props currently, 18" hd wood arms, a number of mods and of course a Quadrino Zoom fc! Also added cam tilt stab. Weight is 3.4 lbs (1540g). Oh, and my RC is currently a Dragonlink LRS w/Futaba 6exp (removed the 72mhz tx section). And video is from gopro to OSD, to 200mw 1.3ghz Tx, to Rx, to Fatshark aviator via 40mw 2.4ghz link.

Here's an FPV video I did yesterday, I'm still transitioning from plane to copter piloting. At the end is a walk around of the setup:
http://youtu.be/yZrukcnvRDA

Until the Dragonlink I couldn't fly like this because the RC would glitch severly and crash me, now I don't have the constant worry!

Now I'm trying to eliminate that vibration, worn motors?(they ate alot of dirt last summer ), replaced some bearings and balanced but still some shaft play.
~GM
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:40 PM
Jon
Joined Nov 2012
24 Posts
No ACC light when the radio was turned off, and the Quadrino was not in ACC before I turned the radio off. I have a Spectrum DX8 radio.
Last edited by jspieker; Feb 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Fix a typo
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:52 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspieker View Post
No ACC light when the radio was turned off, and the Quadrino was not in ACC before I turned the radio off. I have a Spectrum DX8 radio.
I suspected.
When you bind your radio you are setting fail-safe for the rx.
And the RX sets condition for the throttle and all controls.
So you need to pay with the binding and have the throttle and the ACC up and on in the binding process.
Does that makle sense?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:32 PM
Jon
Joined Nov 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
I suspected.
When you bind your radio you are setting fail-safe for the rx.
And the RX sets condition for the throttle and all controls.
So you need to pay with the binding and have the throttle and the ACC up and on in the binding process.
Does that makle sense?
Well, I can try that, but I'm not sure that's what Colin indicated the settings in the Quadrino Config utility do. How does the throttle, ACC, and other settings relate to the Failsafe mode in the Quadrino config utility. I must be missing the interaction here. I guess that's what I'm missing.

Thanks for the help so far, hopefully we can get this figued out. Sorry if I'm just being dense.

Jon
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:56 PM
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
HA! the Max throttle value in the sketch was way too high. set that to 2000 and now i have throttle control
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:15 PM
United States, MI, Montague
Joined Jun 2012
16 Posts
DA:
Before, I was flying 72mhz for RC and 2.4ghz on video, then switched to 1.3ghz video. I think my 72mhz RC didn't work good with all the electronics aboard, antenna placement was an issue(39 inches!). I really had problems flying near large power lines (multi-pathing I suppose).

With the 72mhz it was like flying a bucking bronco! I could not fly low around those trees, like in the video (I was over 600ft away). Switching to the DragonLink made it fun to fly!
Thanks, this discussion is very helpful,
~Gary
meyermicro is offline Find More Posts by meyermicro
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:49 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermicro View Post
DA:
Before, I was flying 72mhz for RC and 2.4ghz on video, then switched to 1.3ghz video. I think my 72mhz RC didn't work good with all the electronics aboard, antenna placement was an issue(39 inches!). I really had problems flying near large power lines (multi-pathing I suppose).

With the 72mhz it was like flying a bucking bronco! I could not fly low around those trees, like in the video (I was over 600ft away). Switching to the DragonLink made it fun to fly!
Thanks, this discussion is very helpful,
~Gary
Hahaha, Gary!

I had nothing but problems with 72MHZ, better with 27MHZ with that I never lost control. I just got some glitching.
At that time I was not FPVing I just started doing this like 4 or 5 months ago.
Switching to 2.4GHZ for control gave me more days of flying and less days of crying. I lost some real nice planes to the 72MHZ glitch issues, mostly complete loss of control to the ground.

The one time I lost control using 1.3GHZ, was without a lowpass filter.
I am still running my spektrum 2.4 GHZ.
I have ordered a 2W external booster.
I am going to add a attenuator to cut down the power levels, which I have found is the proper way to reduce the out put of the RF module.

This should give my Spektrum 2.4GHZ control a positive link at 2miles.

It will be here soon.
Wish me luck?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:04 PM
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
Hahaha, Gary!

I had nothing but problems with 72MHZ, better with 27MHZ with that I never lost control. I just got some glitching.
At that time I was not FPVing I just started doing this like 4 or 5 months ago.
Switching to 2.4GHZ for control gave me more days of flying and less days of crying. I lost some real nice planes to the 72MHZ glitch issues, mostly complete loss of control to the ground.

The one time I lost control using 1.3GHZ, was without a lowpass filter.
I am still running my spektrum 2.4 GHZ.
I have ordered a 2W external booster.
I am going to add a attenuator to cut down the power levels, which I have found is the proper way to reduce the out put of the RF module.

This should give my Spektrum 2.4GHZ control a positive link at 2miles.

It will be here soon.
Wish me luck?
Doc, I have a 1W external 2.4ghz booster right here powered by a BEC and 2200 3s battery with a patch antenna. I have gone over one mile. IT works great. MY attenuator is a 5 feet long SMA cable, which is awesome because I can stand far away enough from my tripod to hand launch my FPV airplane. I switched my DX6I from the stock antenna to the SMA adapter, so I can just use a regular antenna when I am just park flying and easily connect the booster and antenna when I want to.