HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2011, 11:26 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,310 Posts
Raise your D to 18 and Lower your P to 3.2 or so.
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2011, 12:39 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,270 Posts
Cool video.

I am going to get soe video today..
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Old May 14, 2011, 02:24 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7 Posts
Hi!

Can I download to your controller AeroQuad soft? (32 kb flash memory and same sensors)
What are the dimensions of the board and the distance between holes?

Thanks.
ditrix is offline Find More Posts by ditrix
Old May 14, 2011, 07:20 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
I've now been up and down with PID numbers and test flights, I've managed to get to the point where the quad can be flown but no matter what I do I cannot get the wobble to go away. Leaving I and D the same as delivered I've gone as low as 1.4 on P and while it that was about as wobble free as it got, it still was not steady. Putting P back to as delivered brings the wobble back big time, increasing D also seems to make it worse.

So my question now is, what KV motors and which speed controllers is the code setup for? All I can assume at this point is the firmware isn't playing nice with the speed controllers I'm using. The quad flew pretty smooth with a KK blue board, it simply refuses to fly well with the Quadrino. I've tried both 1050 KV motors and 1350 KV, didn't seem to make any difference.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old May 14, 2011, 11:32 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,199 Posts
I just received my Quadrino today. I'll have to set it all up now. I'm a little confused about some items though.
1). If I want to use the mode selector I'll need to use a PPM encoder so I can have more than 4 channels to the Quadrino? If so, where do I hook up the encoder's (I've already got one) PPM wire?
2). What is the 'reset' switch for?
3). I plan on flying just a quad with it for now, but perhaps a tri or a hex one day too. Where do I hook up the extra motor wires for the hex?
I'm sure I'll run into more question as I progress.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2011, 11:33 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins View Post
RTRyder , Wanna sell your KK board?
I'll be having a spare blue KK board with program dongle. PM me if you're still looking for one and what price range you're looking at.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2011, 11:52 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I just received my Quadrino today. I'll have to set it all up now. I'm a little confused about some items though.
1). If I want to use the mode selector I'll need to use a PPM encoder so I can have more than 4 channels to the Quadrino? If so, where do I hook up the encoder's (I've already got one) PPM wire?
2). What is the 'reset' switch for?
3). I plan on flying just a quad with it for now, but perhaps a tri or a hex one day too. Where do I hook up the extra motor wires for the hex?
I'm sure I'll run into more question as I progress.
Your Gear channel Plugs into the "Mode" pin no PPm needed

IF you want to use PPM, then use the T channel .

For hexa you use the Y, P , and R channels for Motor outputs.

the 'reset' switch is never used unless the board seems "stuck" not likely to happen
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Old May 15, 2011, 12:28 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,199 Posts
Thanks Paul. So no PPM sum needed unless you're running a Y6/hexa then? Now to figure out where/how to download the config program.

edit:
I figured out how to get the configuration program...not quite as straight forward as clicking the link and the download starts automatically. I was able to connect the configurator to the QuadRino with little problem. Maybe tomorrow I'll have the time to install it on my quad.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Vantasstic; May 15, 2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:34 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,199 Posts
Help...I'm lost already. I know last night I found something on the motor layout for the QuadRino board. Today I can't find it so I'm lost. I X configuration with #1 arm being front right and going clockwise...what's the motor setup. I'm thinking I saw something of 1=A, 2=B, 3=D, 4=C or ????

Oh wait...I think I just found it. It's printed on the actual board itself. In X mode it's C,B,D,A from front right going clockwise. Time to wire this thing up!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2011, 12:43 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,310 Posts
Vantasstic PM sent
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old May 15, 2011, 01:50 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,199 Posts
Ah drat...I got a problem. I hooked my QuadRino board up, connected it to the configuration program, and got the switch assignments set up and calibrated the ACCs. I disconnected from the configurator, connect a flight pack, armed the controller, held on to it from underneath, and gave it a little power. All went well so far, except for the pitch control, it was backwards. I reversed the pitch control in my Tx and checked again...all reactions were correct.

I took it in the garage (to windy outside), Powered it up, armed it, and gave it some throttle. The thing lifted off nice and steady. It yawed to the left a little and the yaw stick didn't have much authority. I set it back down to adjust the Tx yaw center and the ESCs started beeping. No worries I thought. I adjusted the Tx yaw a little, gave it a little throttle...nothing. It just sat there beeping at me still. I cycled power, same thing. I noticed my Rx LED was off and there were no lights on the QuadRino board. Oh-oh. I whipped out the trusty volt meter and started checking things. I had 5v on the ESC power pins, but only 1 volt on the 'radio' power pins.

I reconnected the unit to my computer and all the lights powered up and the configurator read everything just fine. I disconnected from the computer, reattached the main battery...still nothing. I don't see any damaged components on the board and didn't see/smell any magic smoke from it. I figure something in the boards power rail has gone bad, thus killing the power on the board. Drat...it flew so steady on the first, and only, little test flight. Any ideas where to check? I think I might have to send it back for replacement. Bummer......
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2011, 04:18 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Can you post a photo of your connections?
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old May 15, 2011, 05:39 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Can you post a photo of your connections?
I've already disconnected it. In short though, I had the +,-, S of the four ESCs to the motor pins in the right polarity. I had the Rx throttle wire +,-,S connected to the Radio Throttle port to the Rx and the rest of the Signal lines as just signal lines only. It did work for a short flight...don't know why it quite after landing to make adjustments.

FWIW, I did connect up 4 cell NiCd pack to the Radio pins and the board powers up. When I connect to the ESC pins I only get 1v at all the power taps on the board. It seems once the voltge leaves the ESC pins and goes through the first diode along those pins the voltage gets dropped to 1v. If I had schematics I could troubleshoot through it (I'm an electronic repair tech), but without schematics I'd just be guessing. So in short, something after the ESC pins and before the 'rest' of the voltage circuit has fizzled out. I guess I could try powering the board and fly by not putting power on the ESC lines and, instead, run one of the BEC leads to the Vin connector. I might have a working board at that point, but it's not a 100% working board and since it's new I'd like it to be working 100% vs something else possibly failing on me a little later on.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2011, 08:39 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,199 Posts
I reread the QuadRino manual and see that when powering the unit by the ESC connectors the unit will continue to 'fly' (uncontrolled) in case of Rx failure. If the unit is powered via the Rx the unit will stop operating in case of Rx failure. Of course this means the quad will drop like a rock, but that might be 'safer' than an uncontrolled, flying, quad.

With this in mind I reconnected the board to my quad...this time powering it by connected an Rx battery pack to the Rx. Sure enough, the unit powered up and flew (hovered in my room) just fine. So...I'm thinking I can just clip the + pins off the ESC connections on the QuadRino board, thus disabling the BECs. I'd leave the S and - pins in place to 'secure' the 3-wire connectors without things 'wiggling' around. I'd then connect one of the BEC power leads to the battery port on my Rx. In this way my board will still be operational and the unit would not 'try to fly' by itself in case the Rx stopped working right. Any inputs on this connection scenario?

edit:
Scratch the above idea. I connected one BEC power lead to my Rx and the signal leads of the ESCs to the motor signal pins on the QuadRino board. It powered up just fine. I took it back in the garage for some trimming and all was going well for the first several minutes. All of the sudden the quad started slipping sideways and went sliding across the floor and came to a stop...with the ESCs chirping again. It seems the motor signal lines have died now. I've got proper voltages on the board, the board powers up, but the 'status' LED doesn't come on any more. I guess I just got a defective board. Looks like I'll have to send it back now...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Vantasstic; May 15, 2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old May 15, 2011, 09:44 PM
Stockholm
Joined Sep 2009
291 Posts
Is it shipping black/white or black/yellow?
Jodde73 is offline Find More Posts by Jodde73