HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
I got a unit in today from Edson, Alberta. No accompanying information, no name or email. It is a V1D unit so not in recall. I tested it and it works fine. If it's yours, send me a PM and let me know what's going on. I sent a snail mail back for more information.

Colin
guru_florida is offline Find More Posts by guru_florida
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:04 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
Implementations
At the moment, there are two ways to add a GPS to your MultiWii
1. If you have a spare serial port AND an AtMega1280 or 2560 microcontroller based FC, you can connect your GPS to that port and enable the serial GPS code in the code (see howto below) Due the elevated resource usage (RAM and ROM) this method is not recommended with AtMega328 based boards
2. You can use an I2C_GPS board, which contains a secondary AtMega328 processor with a serial GPS and runs the GPS parsing and navigational computations. This board communicates with the FC via the I2C bus.
so I assume this would work fine correct? ] http://www.flytron.com/sensors/180-i...nd-others.html
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:10 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,308 Posts
Yes, The mega chip for processing is on the other side.

So really all you need to do is wire it up and turn on the GPS I2C. In the sketch!

Looks good! I have looked at this so many times. I may pull the trigger soon.
LOL!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:29 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Yes, The mega chip for processing is on the other side.

So really all you need to do is wire it up and turn on the GPS I2C. In the sketch!

Looks good! I have looked at this so many times. I may pull the trigger soon.
LOL!
You and me both.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:32 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,308 Posts
Here is a thought.
Some GPS units have to be moved away from the FC.
Because of noise.
That is why they have long tubes with the kits.
Will we have to do that too?
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:40 AM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Here is a thought.
Some GPS units have to be moved away from the FC.
Because of noise.
That is why they have long tubes with the kits.
Will we have to do that too?
I have and osd and the gps sits right next to the fc, so i dont think it will be that big of an issue. But the only way to truely find out is to try it, so i think ill order one.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:54 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,308 Posts
I didn't think the Quadrino was a noisy board. Like some others.

LOL.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:07 AM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Doesn't seem to be, haven't run into any issues, with that gps or my Bluetooth, vtx or rx all right by each other on my quad.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:06 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,308 Posts
Yeah, some of the FC out there are really dirty.
But the Quadrino is a smooth like an ICE pond.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Jul 2012
153 Posts
Quote:
I didn't think the Quadrino was a noisy board. Like some others.

LOL.
The topic of radio noise got me thinking, I have a pretty good spectrum analyzer so I did a few tests.

Powering just the zoom board with nothing connected has the same rf noise levels as my Sony TVs remote (not pressing any buttons)

Powering the board and receiver does create significantly more but still nothing out of the ordinary as the reciever is only accepting signal rather then transmitting.

Upon connecting the ESC's, it's another story. Within a few inches of them, there is alot of noise and when applying throttle is gets really loud and bleeds into everywhere from about 450hz to over my analyzer high end capacity (6ghz).

The motors is the same story as the ESC, but now add the spinning magnetic field to the mix.

Conclusion, I will be shortening the cables from ESC to motor to increase distance from the board and receiver.

Its no wonder smaller quads have much shorter range. Also may be another reason larger quads are so much more stable.

I imagine a donut shaped cloud around the outside of the craft with a circumference of about 7.5 to 8 inches..... don't put anything sensitive to rf interference in that space.

I'm expecting my bt module by weeks end so I'll re test then and provide some screenshots too.
Atown93 is offline Find More Posts by Atown93
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:41 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,308 Posts
450hz to 6ghz,
Holy crap, that is one rf shield right there.
Increase that by 200 times and it could protect the quad from ground projectiles.
LOL!
Just joking.
ESCs are a noise nightmare the faster the pulse rate the more noise.
I wonder!
Okay if your ESCs' have becs, on them and your not using them. Do they emit less noise or more because they are running without a load?

I would think of it as a large donut with with 5 smaller donuts (FC, and ESC's). With 4 funnels two going one way and two going in the other!
Now that would look cool a xray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atown93 View Post
The topic of radio noise got me thinking, I have a pretty good spectrum analyzer so I did a few tests.

Powering just the zoom board with nothing connected has the same rf noise levels as my Sony TVs remote (not pressing any buttons)

Powering the board and receiver does create significantly more but still nothing out of the ordinary as the reciever is only accepting signal rather then transmitting.

Upon connecting the ESC's, it's another story. Within a few inches of them, there is alot of noise and when applying throttle is gets really loud and bleeds into everywhere from about 450hz to over my analyzer high end capacity (6ghz).

The motors is the same story as the ESC, but now add the spinning magnetic field to the mix.

Conclusion, I will be shortening the cables from ESC to motor to increase distance from the board and receiver.

Its no wonder smaller quads have much shorter range. Also may be another reason larger quads are so much more stable.

I imagine a donut shaped cloud around the outside of the craft with a circumference of about 7.5 to 8 inches..... don't put anything sensitive to rf interference in that space.

I'm expecting my bt module by weeks end so I'll re test then and provide some screenshots too.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:41 PM
Madison WI
Joined Jan 2009
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_florida View Post
Sorry guys and girls, I totally passed out and slept through the Webex not realizing what day it is. We'll be back next week for sure.

I am getting lots of recall boards in and still pushing them out the next (shipping) day. So keep them coming! I want to replace as many as I can and I am doing my best to get them out right away so you wont be long without your Quadrino.

I am getting lots of reports back from customers. They've put their unit through many batteries without a single hiccup. I've been doing *a lot* of flight testing without a hiccup too. Get your crystal replaced!

Colin
Can you tell me the part number for the replacement crystal? I'd like to solder it in myself.
Sorry if I missed it in this long thread.
jazzjohn is offline Find More Posts by jazzjohn
Last edited by jazzjohn; Aug 08, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:40 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjohn View Post
Can you tell me the part number for the replacement crystal? I'd like to solder it in myself.
Sorry if I missed it in this long thread.
http://flyingeinstein.com/index.php/...rino-v1e-units
There is the link!
Send him an email.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Jul 2012
153 Posts
What I'm getting at is that the gps module should not be too close to the ESC or motors. Because the bt unit is typically only used for short range communication I don't think you would even notice the interference. I would keep it away from the receive and the GPS because I don't think it turns itself off when you arm the motors.....Colin question....

I'll need to do some tests when I get all the components.

I plan to mount the GPS to the inside of the acrylic dome over the fc board. I'll still be able to see the leds on the fc for reference and nothing will be impending it's reception, not to mention the protection of the dome in a crash.
Atown93 is offline Find More Posts by Atown93
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:30 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,308 Posts
Atown:
The Bluetooth can't save to the board when it is armed.
It can only be saved if the board is unarmed.
That is what I know, we had this confirmed this with Colin before.
Nothing can be saved fto the board, while it is armed