HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:59 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,393 Posts
I got a question for everyone.
What is up with this month?
Has anyone had the month I had, lots of money out the window.
Life has been kicking me in the pocket hard.

1. Stuffed a buddy's quad total re-kit 200 out of my pocket.
2. Son over charged a NIMH battery for his Mini revo.
He lost 8 batteries, I lost two Hyperion chargers and 2 6S 5000 and 4S 4500
total 900.00. Oh but the fire went out quick .
3. Lost 2 hard drives, 1 1TB and a 1.5TB 150 each
4. Last night the wife and kids were playing in our room, someone knock her computer off her desk and now it is dead. Needs new MB and CPU which is going to cost 300, to fix.

Now the whole time I am trying my best not to be around any volcanos or sttep cliffs.
LOL.
I just have to laugh.
I guess this month is a it sucks to be me month.
Just thought I would share.
Other than that we are all safe.
So thank you for not killing me!
LOL!
DoctorAudio is online now Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:51 PM
FPV addict
Joined Mar 2011
1,207 Posts
whats the pass for the webex
Sniperp is offline Find More Posts by Sniperp
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:53 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,393 Posts
quad is the pass
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:08 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Dang, got there late and can't get into the webex. Says 8 is the limit.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:10 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,393 Posts
try rebooting and try again.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:23 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
no dice
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:53 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,393 Posts
We are in it.
But there is only 8 people in here and he can get 50 in here!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:59 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,393 Posts
come now there is only three of us in here.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:37 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,235 Posts
I too could not get in. The message was that only eight were allowed. Guess me and Cervanchez were 9 and 10.

Next time!
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:52 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,393 Posts
Mark come in now, Plz.
We are going to wait for you!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:09 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
I got a question for everyone.
What is up with this month?
Has anyone had the month I had, lots of money out the window.
Life has been kicking me in the pocket hard.

1. Stuffed a buddy's quad total re-kit 200 out of my pocket.
2. Son over charged a NIMH battery for his Mini revo.
He lost 8 batteries, I lost two Hyperion chargers and 2 6S 5000 and 4S 4500
total 900.00. Oh but the fire went out quick .
3. Lost 2 hard drives, 1 1TB and a 1.5TB 150 each
4. Last night the wife and kids were playing in our room, someone knock her computer off her desk and now it is dead. Needs new MB and CPU which is going to cost 300, to fix.

Now the whole time I am trying my best not to be around any volcanos or sttep cliffs.
LOL.
I just have to laugh.
I guess this month is a it sucks to be me month.
Just thought I would share.
Other than that we are all safe.
So thank you for not killing me!
LOL!
Me too. My A/C compressor went out. $2025 gone all at one time...and I can't even fly it...
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:21 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,393 Posts
See now, I feel better.
Thank you for sharing.
I guess the best thing is we still have a place to live.
We still have our health.
The wife and kids are going to be okay.
And there is a another payday coming.
Oh. yeah!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:47 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Update on my loss of power problem:
Before sending in my board I wanted to try a couple more things. I did verify that my loss of power is happening on all batteries. Sometimes I can recover before I hit the ground, but other times I just don't have enough lift at full throttle. And it is truly intermittent. It can happen anytime no matter what the pack voltage is, and I can fly it after it happens. I am going to re-program and re-calibrate my ESC's just to make sure that not it (recently, when calibrating, I was noticing I got more beeps from the ESC's if I left the throttle at max for longer, which I think could have changed the programming settings, not sure because I don't have any documentation on them). If that doesn't do it, I'll have to send it in to the Guru for a diagnostic. Just thought I'd post this to see if anybody had any other ideas before I'm grounded for a couple weeks.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Jul 2012
153 Posts
I hava a question for the group... I am new tothe quad comunity and have to admit I have the quad bug in a big way. I have more years than I would like to admit in everything RC and until about 5 months ago I was unaware that quads even existed. I did a bit of research online about what direction to go in and settled on the whitepsy quad (ebay version) with the multiwii board.

It arrived about 3 weeks ago and with some small adjustments, calibration and balancing the props, was in the air in a few days just as advertised. Im a very patient and thoughtful RC builder. Anyone at the track for airfield will tell you that anything I own RC is always perfect. I am a huge "set-up" guy. I win races because my car is set-up better than anyone else on the track, not because its the newest or fastest. I chose the multiwii becasue I can set things up my way and make it my own.

Enough about that, here is the problem(s) Im having. After about 15-20 flights, tradegy struck last saturday. I was about 3 minutes in to my 2nd batery, auto level and head-free modes on, working on training myslef to go FPV and slowly hovering around some of the small bushes in my back yard while keeping the nose pionted at them. All of the sudden the quad flips over and is on the ground upside down. Lucky for me it landed flat and on some soft grass so no damage. My first thought was that perhaps I lost mag or acc calibration so I went back inside, and recalibrated with the GUI and evrything looked OK. Scraching my head and crossing my fingers I checked the balance on the props and put another battery in. Everything was working fine for another 3 min or so and this time I was about 10 feet off the ground when it happened again. This time bending one prop and snapping another in two.

I have read of cases where people loose power all together and their quad drops like a rock becasue of LiPo fialure or bad connections, but nothing with flipping after flying normally for a few minutes. When they flip, its usually right at take-off because of ECS calibration or something, not after several minutes of flight.

I removed the props and spun all the motors up to see if somehow one was behaving differently than others and they all seem to be working fine.

The other part of my problem is that I dont live in the US any longer, Props are impossible to purchase in the country where I live to I have to buy them from Ebay and wait 2+ weeks for them to arrive. There is no local source for me to go to for advise as myself and one other person in the country have quads.

I spent this last weekend going thru countless forums thrying to find something that resembles my case and cant seem to find anything....of course most forums are thousands of entries long and most of it is fluff or people who are guessing rather than advising.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
Atown93 is offline Find More Posts by Atown93
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:30 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atown93 View Post
I hava a question for the group... I am new tothe quad comunity and have to admit I have the quad bug in a big way. I have more years than I would like to admit in everything RC and until about 5 months ago I was unaware that quads even existed. I did a bit of research online about what direction to go in and settled on the whitepsy quad (ebay version) with the multiwii board.

It arrived about 3 weeks ago and with some small adjustments, calibration and balancing the props, was in the air in a few days just as advertised. Im a very patient and thoughtful RC builder. Anyone at the track for airfield will tell you that anything I own RC is always perfect. I am a huge "set-up" guy. I win races because my car is set-up better than anyone else on the track, not because its the newest or fastest. I chose the multiwii becasue I can set things up my way and make it my own.

Enough about that, here is the problem(s) Im having. After about 15-20 flights, tradegy struck last saturday. I was about 3 minutes in to my 2nd batery, auto level and head-free modes on, working on training myslef to go FPV and slowly hovering around some of the small bushes in my back yard while keeping the nose pionted at them. All of the sudden the quad flips over and is on the ground upside down. Lucky for me it landed flat and on some soft grass so no damage. My first thought was that perhaps I lost mag or acc calibration so I went back inside, and recalibrated with the GUI and evrything looked OK. Scraching my head and crossing my fingers I checked the balance on the props and put another battery in. Everything was working fine for another 3 min or so and this time I was about 10 feet off the ground when it happened again. This time bending one prop and snapping another in two.

I have read of cases where people loose power all together and their quad drops like a rock becasue of LiPo fialure or bad connections, but nothing with flipping after flying normally for a few minutes. When they flip, its usually right at take-off because of ECS calibration or something, not after several minutes of flight.

I removed the props and spun all the motors up to see if somehow one was behaving differently than others and they all seem to be working fine.

The other part of my problem is that I dont live in the US any longer, Props are impossible to purchase in the country where I live to I have to buy them from Ebay and wait 2+ weeks for them to arrive. There is no local source for me to go to for advise as myself and one other person in the country have quads.

I spent this last weekend going thru countless forums thrying to find something that resembles my case and cant seem to find anything....of course most forums are thousands of entries long and most of it is fluff or people who are guessing rather than advising.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
Welcome to the wide world of QUADS (Quantifying Understanding About Disorienting Systems)!

I went through exactly the same issue and I was not able to resolve it so I have sent my board in. In my case, my quad did this right off the bat so I re-built it two or three times trying different connection scenarios and component changes. I did get a bunch of good stable flights in the middle of all of this but just when I thought I had it figured out, it started again so I sent the Guru my board.

Now, having said that you don't say much about your set-up so here are a few things to check or try:
  • Are your ESC's set up correctly (batt type NiMH, no brake, no LVC, etc)?
  • Are your ESC's throttle callibrated correctly?
  • Are you sure one of your connections aren't coming loose when they get warm? (many guys solder EVERYTHING)
    • This is important because a single motor wire disconnect will send it flipping.
  • Are your board connections solid with no chance of vibrating loose?
That's just a few, I'm sure the good Doctor and others will jump in here with more questions and comments. In the meantime - keep reading!

Cheers - mark
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member