HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:49 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,436 Posts
Click your mouse on the section and then drag it to the number you want.
Are you kidding?
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:52 PM
FPV addict
Joined Mar 2011
1,208 Posts
I tried click and pressing numbers, +, -, scroll wheel. Never though to click and drag.
Sniperp is offline Find More Posts by Sniperp
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2009
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I'll give it a shot, but I actually tried settings very close to that yesterday.
I had been running with I set as high as 0.100 so to start over, I dropped it to 0.030 (the default)
and HH behavior pretty much went away, so I doubled it to 0.060, which is close to what you have.
At the same time I had D zeroed out and was taking P down more and more (started
around 9) to see if the shake was P related or not. At 3.0 it was just flyable but
pretty sloppy, and the random shaking was still there. Changing D at that point
didn't help. I need P to be at least 6 just to get it to maintain attitude, and I can take
it all the way up to 10 before it starts to wobble on its own. The random shakes seem
unrelated to P.

How's your video look with those settings?

ian
I don't have a monitor or goggles so I can't truely fly FPV yet. I'll strap on a camera and fly LOS to give you an idea. What equipment are you using? PID values are dependent on the physical characteristics of the vehicle: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=37
Bluerocktj is online now Find More Posts by Bluerocktj
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:30 PM
FPV addict
Joined Mar 2011
1,208 Posts
I tried those setting but she still wouldn't get off the ground. I'm guessing it is an issue with my motor/prop/weight combo, just have to wait until Thursday when the new prop/motors come in and then continue the testing.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:47 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,436 Posts
Ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperp View Post
i tried those setting but she still wouldn't get off the ground. I'm guessing it is an issue with my motor/prop/weight combo, just have to wait until thursday when the new prop/motors come in and then continue the testing.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:31 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,436 Posts
Let me tell you guys something.If you think Multiwii is a pain in the butt.
Then don't ever buy an APM2. Such a pain in the butt.
I am 5 hours behind on delivery.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:39 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperp View Post
I tried those setting but she still wouldn't get off the ground. I'm guessing it is an issue with my motor/prop/weight combo, just have to wait until Thursday when the new prop/motors come in and then continue the testing.
Just out of curiosity. What ESCs are you using?

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:14 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,436 Posts
Hopefully it is not a Thunderbird esc.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:40 AM
FPV addict
Joined Mar 2011
1,208 Posts
Next level 10amp ESC'S. I have there 40amp ones in my NL650 bird and have never had any problems with before.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:27 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,436 Posts
Just saying the thunderbirds have been nothing but problems for many multi-rotor guys.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:30 AM
FPV addict
Joined Mar 2011
1,208 Posts
Scorpion as well. When I replaced the ESC's that came with my gaui 500x kit I figured matching the motor, scorpion, with the same ESC, scorpion, would work great. WRONG! It wouldn't even arm, wet with some NL20amp and she ran buetifuly... Until it threw a prop over a boat canal and was lost to Davy jones locker.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
Hi Daemon,

Yes, you should try enabling the ITG3200 filter, start by enabling ITG3200_LPF_98HZ in config.h. You can get the proper firmware files already prepared at flyingeinstein.com.

If that doesnt fix it, send me a PM and we'll setup a call to look at some more things. I am the designer of the Quadrino so I can fix you up one way or another.

Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I've got a home built wood tricopter for FPV use,that I've been flying with a strange mix of
FY30A stabilizer in airplane mode in front of a KK board (v1.6 tricopter firmware).
It flies great, but it's a bit of a tuning challenge and could do better in wind.

[snip]
guru_florida is offline Find More Posts by guru_florida
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
btw: Daemon, your description of tuning is right on! I and D set to 0, bring up P, then bring in I (turn down P a bit), bring up D. Right out of the control theory textbook.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
Sniperp,

Your settings are way to high for a micro quad. I've attached my settings for my Gaui330. I think you're even smaller than my 330 right? If so, you should be below my settings. The smaller the quad, the more difficult the tuning. It took us hours to find the right settings for the Gaui and we were all over the place. We were scratching our heads because any other quad frame was so easy to tune. Exact same issues as in your videos. This is why I bought the Gaui330, because it was the only frame that had tuning difficulty with the Quadrino/MultiWii.

Tuning is a very trial-and-error process. Even if you have all the variables like RPM, motor power, etc., it'll get you in the ballpark but you'll still end up tuning empirically. Unless you can mathematically full model the system (the physics of quadcopter flight) you can't mathematically determine PID. In other words, your computed PIDs are only as good as your mathematical model of the real world. You'll guess the right PIDs before you get the right model...lol.

I would like to collect a matrix of motor, ESC and frame vendors/models and working PID settings and then I could compute proper models using simple graph fitting algorithms. Then we could have simple sliders of "frame size, vendors, aggressive vs stable flight, etc" ....then we wouldn't need to wear a propeller-hat to tune PIDs.

Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperp View Post
http://youtu.be/SZ6Mhhk2k0I
a motor popped out of its mount, need to tighten the set screws more, but i was about 3/4 throttle and she still didn't lift off the ground. I'm beginning to wonder if its more of a weight issue then programming, Im currently using a 2S1200 battery. I have a 2S300 on charge to test out as well. the motors are e-flight park 250 2200KV motors spinning 4x2.5 props. i don't have a scale to measure the AUW. i also uploaded my settings from the multiwii utility
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
WEBEX!!!!

I'll be hosting a webex for setting up and configuring the Quadrino using the MultiWii software. This is a group discussion so you can ask questions about anything multi-rotor.

Meeting opens at 2:45 and begins at 3PM EST. Password is always "quad". Go to flyingeinstein.webex.com

About webex: Webex is a Cisco product for online group meetings and presentations. If you havent already, your browser will need to have webex installed (will prompt once you Join). There is no spam, spyware or adware in the Cisco webex product. Cisco is the leading supplier of computer network related products.