HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:41 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Mar 2010
52 Posts
I just put a Quadrino Zoom board in a rotorX quad that I have been flying for a while and it barley lifts off the ground? When I look at it through the config the throttles all go up fine?
RC'er is offline Find More Posts by RC'er
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined May 2012
36 Posts
I got the email that my quadrino has shipped so I should have that soon, but until then I installed the Arduino 1.0.1 ( installed older one listed on website first but it said newer program was available so I got that) to have it ready when the controller got here.

My question is how do I get quadrino to be in the tools/board list since it's not there?
rking1960 is offline Find More Posts by rking1960
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:16 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,124 Posts
It won't be in the list. Read this tutorial, it explains the process http://www.flyingeinstein.com/index....ating-firmware
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:51 AM
Eastern PA
Joined Mar 2010
52 Posts
Help!!!!

Please help!

I am using Adrino 1.0.1 and I have updated my version 1D board to MultiWii_2_0-QuadrinoZoom-MS5611 firmware but...... when I followed the instructions there is no MultiWii_2_0.PDE? but....there is a MultiWii_2_0.INO and I tried that and it loaded it. Did I do it right? Do I have 2.0 software in my board now? Why is there not a 2.0 PDE file in the list? I used the config and everything looks like it working so, I guess I have the software loaded properly?

Next flying...It only lifts about 6 to 12 inches off the ground at full throttle. I checked the battery voltage and it is fine. I tried 2 different known good batteries with the same results...I just put this Quadrino Zoom board in a rotorX quad that I have been flying for a while the esc's were programmed when it was set up as a rotorX..do I need to re-calibrate the esc's again, that wouldn't make any sense? When I look at it through the config the throttles pretty much all go up fine? AND when I turn using yaw it pretty much drops right to the ground?

I read that you should only have one esc feeding bec power to the board so, I removed all of the power and ground from 3 of the esc's, do I need to do the same for the rx so that only one power and ground is going to it as well?
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:04 AM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC'er View Post
Please help!

I am using Adrino 1.0.1 and I have updated my version 1D board to MultiWii_2_0-QuadrinoZoom-MS5611 firmware but...... when I followed the instructions there is no MultiWii_2_0.PDE? but....there is a MultiWii_2_0.INO and I tried that and it loaded it. Did I do it right? Do I have 2.0 software in my board now? Why is there not a 2.0 PDE file in the list? I used the config and everything looks like it working so, I guess I have the software loaded properly?

Next flying...It only lifts about 6 to 12 inches off the ground at full throttle. I checked the battery voltage and it is fine. I tried 2 different known good batteries with the same results...I just put this Quadrino Zoom board in a rotorX quad that I have been flying for a while the esc's were programmed when it was set up as a rotorX..do I need to re-calibrate the esc's again, that wouldn't make any sense? When I look at it through the config the throttles pretty much all go up fine? AND when I turn using yaw it pretty much drops right to the ground?

I read that you should only have one esc feeding bec power to the board so, I removed all of the power and ground from 3 of the esc's, do I need to do the same for the rx so that only one power and ground is going to it as well?
You loaded the firmware correctly. The new firmware uses an INO file, to conform to the new version of Arduino.

Your throttle problem happened to me as well when I switched firmware versions on my microquad. Re-calibrate the ESCs and then change the MINCOMMAND to 900, and MAXTHROTTLE to 2000. See if that fixes it. It worked for me. Also, be sure the MINTHROTTLE is set correctly for your ESCs (1300 for Turnigy Plush, for example).
FullmoonCat is offline Find More Posts by FullmoonCat
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:24 AM
Eastern PA
Joined Mar 2010
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullmoonCat View Post
You loaded the firmware correctly. The new firmware uses an INO file, to conform to the new version of Arduino.

Your throttle problem happened to me as well when I switched firmware versions on my microquad. Re-calibrate the ESCs and then change the MINCOMMAND to 900, and MAXTHROTTLE to 2000. See if that fixes it. It worked for me. Also, be sure the MINTHROTTLE is set correctly for your ESCs (1300 for Turnigy Plush, for example).
How/where do change the mincommand? Through the Adrino 1.0.1? Am I missing some instructions on how to modify these settings?
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:41 AM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
506 Posts
Quote:
How/where do change the mincommand? Through the Adrino 1.0.1? Am I missing some instructions on how to modify these settings?
Yes. You change the settings in the Arduino sketch. Open the Multiwii2.0 sketch, then click the "config.h" tab. The code looks like this:

Code:
/* Set the minimum throttle command sent to the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller)
   This is the minimum value that allow motors to run at a idle speed  */
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1300 // for Turnigy Plush ESCs 10A
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1120 // for Super Simple ESCs 10A
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1220
#define MINTHROTTLE 1120
That's the default. If using Plush ESCs, you'd change it like this:

Code:
/* Set the minimum throttle command sent to the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller)
   This is the minimum value that allow motors to run at a idle speed  */
#define MINTHROTTLE 1300 // for Turnigy Plush ESCs 10A
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1120 // for Super Simple ESCs 10A
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1220
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1120
The other part of the code is about midway down, and looks like this:

Code:
/* this is the value for the ESCs when they are not armed
   in some cases, this value must be lowered down to 900 for some specific ESCs */
#define MINCOMMAND 1000

/* this is the maximum value for the ESCs at full power
   this value can be increased up to 2000 */
#define MAXTHROTTLE 1850
Change it to this:

Code:
/* this is the value for the ESCs when they are not armed
   in some cases, this value must be lowered down to 900 for some specific ESCs */
#define MINCOMMAND 900

/* this is the maximum value for the ESCs at full power
   this value can be increased up to 2000 */
#define MAXTHROTTLE 2000
Save your changes, and re-upload the sketch to your board. You'll probably have to recalibrate the ACC in MultiWii Config afterward.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:48 AM
Eastern PA
Joined Mar 2010
52 Posts
FullmoonCat, Thank You SOOOO Much!
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:02 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Mar 2010
52 Posts
Ok so.. I start Adruino. Then I go file..open..then I click on "MultiWii_2_0-QuadrinoZoom-MS5611" and nothing happens? The Adruino screen deosn't change and I don't see a Config.h tab?
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:06 PM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
506 Posts
Navigate to Multiwii_2_0-QuadrinoZoom-MS5611\MultiWii_2_0\MultiWii_2_0

Open the file MultiWii_2_0.ino

Then you should see the config.h tab, hopefully.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:12 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Mar 2010
52 Posts
Quote:
Navigate to Multiwii_2_0-QuadrinoZoom-MS5611\MultiWii_2_0\MultiWii_2_0

Open the file MultiWii_2_0.ino

Then you should see the config.h tab, hopefully.
I forgot to type that I am opening the MultiWii_2_0.ino and then nothing happens..No new window. I unplugged everything from the board and tried again and it still does not work.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:18 PM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
506 Posts
Quote:
I forgot to type that I am opening the MultiWii_2_0.ino and then nothing happens..No new window. I unplugged everything from the board and tried again and it still does not work.
Having the board plugged in or not should have nothing to do with opening the file. I can open the file here at work and my quad is miles away. Make sure you are using the correct version of Arduino (1.0 or later), and it should work. If not, try restarting your computer.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:40 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Mar 2010
52 Posts
Quote:
Having the board plugged in or not should have nothing to do with opening the file. I can open the file here at work and my quad is miles away. Make sure you are using the correct version of Arduino (1.0 or later), and it should work. If not, try restarting your computer.
That is funny I just restarted my computer and then read this.

Yes, it is Arduino 1.0.1

It doesn't make any sense why it doesn't work now. The only thing that has changed from yesterday to today is a turned off the computer last night...?

I tired to copy all the info in the bottom box that was generated when I tried to open it but, it won't let me copy or anything even if I highlight it.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined May 2012
36 Posts
try to highlight the text with your mouse, and then press the CTRL key and the C key at the same time, and then bring up notepad and press CTRL and V keys together and sometimes that works when it won;t give you a copy/paste dialogue.
rking1960 is offline Find More Posts by rking1960
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:50 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Mar 2010
52 Posts
Thanks again FullmoonCat, I got it working and tried flying it before I re-calibrated the esc's (because I already removed the + & - pins from all the esc's when I connected them to board) and it flies a little higher now, about 4 feet.

So, I now have to re-calibrate the esc's... I do not have a device to connect all 4 esc's at the same time nor do I have 3 Y harnesses.

My question is, the quad is all hard wired with power to the motors... so, can I safely power up all the esc's every time I calibrate one esc? Will it hurt the esc's to receive battery power with no signal attached?