HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 10:10 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,868 Posts
Tx - On & Off has nothing to do with arming...
The beeping sound of ESC mean that they don't have the minimum signal they need to say they are connected to something.

When you power off your transmitter you activate the "Failsafe" function in multiwii and the signal go there:

Code:
#define FAILSAVE_THR0TTLE  (MINTHROTTLE + 200)    // Throttle level used for landing - may be relative to MINTHROTTLE - as in this case
I would do a complete re-calibration of each your esc on minimum and maximum throttle.
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 08:36 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Well I got it tied on a string between two chairs like I've seen in the videos and it wanted to swap ends and generally act satanic anytime I gave it throttle - whether in default or level mode. So I decided to throw caution to the wind and take it outside before the sun went down completely. It wouldn't leave the ground level and kept trying to do backflips. After rearing back a few times and looking like it was possessed, I decided to break it. I gave it a tiny bit of forward trim to counter the backflip and raised the throttle enough to get it off the ground. It immediately performed 1.5 yaw spins, bucked like a bronco and landed wrong side up within 2 seconds. Committed to do some damage, I kept at it until a blade snapped off in the grass. Hah, looks like I won this round.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old May 28, 2012, 09:14 PM
LSF 004 - AMA 5055
United States, CA, Saratoga
Joined Dec 2000
594 Posts
Re: 1.9 -> 2.0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
Are you on a rev D or E board Bob?

I'm on a revD and heard that the new features in the 2.0 don't work that well on these boards. Haven't tried it yet though, holding off for now.
Thanks guys. This isn't a Quadrino, just a MultiWii board with 1.9 on it. But I know the experts here better than for the plain old MultiWii. I have a Quadrino Zoom on another micro quad (220mm Tunigy), and it is really a sweet board to work with, especially since you don't need a separate FTDI board.

Bob
bobandris is offline Find More Posts by bobandris
Old May 28, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
ugh, i figured it out, I assumed the radio was already setup correctly but AIL and RUD had to be swapped. It was trying to correct using the wrong inputs. This is all still so new to me. At least now it flies! Hovering seems to be extremely touchy, i'm going to have to customize that for my newb self.
Old May 31, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
I'm having trouble with the EZ Connect cables, just installed today to replace the top pin connections. On the motor side I connected all four motors - signal only on B/C/D with pos and neg on motor A's ESC intact, and nothing else. On the receiver side, I connected channels 1-5 signal and VCC and GND to pos and neg on channel 1 of the Rx. When I connect the LiPo which feeds the ESCs, they go into a single beep pattern waiting for signal, and the FC and Rx don't power up. I have +5v on the A motor top pins.

If I also plug into USB, it all powers the FC and Rx fine.

I don't understand, because the FC (1revE) is getting power from the ESC/Motor A just as if it was using the top pins.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:20 AM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
I'm having trouble with the EZ Connect cables, just installed today to replace the top pin connections. On the motor side I connected all four motors - signal only on B/C/D with pos and neg on motor A's ESC intact, and nothing else. On the receiver side, I connected channels 1-5 signal and VCC and GND to pos and neg on channel 1 of the Rx. When I connect the LiPo which feeds the ESCs, they go into a single beep pattern waiting for signal, and the FC and Rx don't power up. I have +5v on the A motor top pins.

If I also plug into USB, it all powers the FC and Rx fine.

I don't understand, because the FC (1revE) is getting power from the ESC/Motor A just as if it was using the top pins.
For some reason mine would not power that way either, I had to connect a bec to my rx now everything is powered. Not really sure why that is though.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
For some reason mine would not power that way either, I had to connect a bec to my rx now everything is powered. Not really sure why that is though.
Thanks, at least I'm not going crazy. I do have a 5V BEC not being used at the moment. Because I'm an idiot newb and didn't make accommodations on the battery harness I made for anything but the four ESCs. I'll need to tap into that and install the standalone BEC. In the meantime I've gone back to using the top pins for motors and EZ Connect for receiver, which is working alright.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:57 AM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
Thanks, at least I'm not going crazy. I do have a 5V BEC not being used at the moment. Because I'm an idiot newb and didn't make accommodations on the battery harness I made for anything but the four ESCs. I'll need to tap into that and install the standalone BEC. In the meantime I've gone back to using the top pins for motors and EZ Connect for receiver, which is working alright.
Ya not common sense at all if you ask me. But since im flying it on a quad, I just used one of the other esc becs, i didn't wire anything else in.
I still dont understand why they but those power things on motor side if they are not intended to power the fc and rx
Old Jun 02, 2012, 07:56 PM
Tree Crasher Master
United States, NJ, Hackettstown
Joined Sep 2011
120 Posts
I had a strange failure occur today. I was one minute into a flight, and then the thing suddenly flipped over and smashed into the pavement, and even though I shut the throttle down, it continued to rev into the ground, (breaking all four of my props and bending the motor shafts, and then breaking their mounts), it kept going. What was the Quadrino board doing? I was only twenty feet from the thing, so I seriously doubt it was a radio issue. I use a 2.4ghz radio, and it still works just fine. The thing works still, but.. its quite too broken to fly. *sigh*
ITman496 is offline Find More Posts by ITman496
Old Jun 02, 2012, 09:24 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Mine did something similar
Quad Crash (1 min 36 sec)

Still not sure what caused it.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Looks a lot like what happened to me on Friday. I finally got out to a large, open area where I wouldn't have trees or houses to be afraid of. Not more than 4 seconds after takeoff it wobbled and inverted before heading for the ground. It broke a $230 prop. And by that, I mean I bought a Naza.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:23 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Luckly I had a roll cage

Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined May 2012
36 Posts
I'm considering buying one of these boards but have a question, What is a PPM? I never see that described anywhere. It will be replacing a HK board on a quadX homebrew that I've had no luck with and I use a DX6i Spektrum radio.

thanks for any info.

Randy
rking1960 is offline Find More Posts by rking1960
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:08 PM
Tree Crasher Master
United States, NJ, Hackettstown
Joined Sep 2011
120 Posts
I figured (or at least hope I figured) out the issue. Vibrations caused the power feeding the quadrino to just barely lose connection, long enough to cause a glitch, but not long enough to cause a complete power down.

So basically the lesson is, make sure all of your servo things are secure. Or solder them. I soldered mine.

@rking ppm is basically all of the channels of your radio, in one wire. so imagine the servo signals all shoved into one data stream, that is ppm. It allows you, on radios that support it, to not have four wires running to the quadrino, but one single wire.
ITman496 is offline Find More Posts by ITman496
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:17 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
Luckly I had a roll cage

What video sytem you using?
Is that a gps for a OSD?
Who made your cloverleaf?