HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 01:09 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,436 Posts
DJI F450 combo kit ( Quadrino-Zoom) (7 min 7 sec)
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 04:55 PM
LSF 004 - AMA 5055
United States, CA, Saratoga
Joined Dec 2000
589 Posts
micro Quad

Sorry to bother you all with such a newbie request. I'm now on my 2nd quad; the 1st was a DJI F450 ARF, including the Naza (I wanted to start with the one having the highest probability of success; and it was!).

My 2nd quad consists of a Quadrino Zoom, rev 1E, installed in a Turnigy micro Quad, with ZTW 12 ESCs, HK 1811-2000 10g motors, Gemfan 5x3 3-blades, and a 3S1P GensAce 1000 mAh/25C. I installed a Spektrum AR6100 and bound it to my DX8.

Next I installed MultiWiiConf 2.0 and the FTDIUSBSerialDriver on my iMac and finally got the software and the Quadrino Zoom talking to each other. Was able to use it to set the throttle to 1000-to-2000; the aileron, elevator, rudder to 1000-to-1500-to-2000; and the gear switch to 1000 and 2000. Wrote it, disconnected and installed the battery, fired it up and was able to get it to lift off! Somewhat twitchy but still it was a success!

Then I got back on activated the ACC, BARO, & MAG but didn't touch the default PIDs as I don't know what in the hell I'm doing yet; soon though! It is now flying pretty good, but I'm experiencing some motions which I would like to calm down (yes, the Naza spoils you with its stability!). I am reading the PID references but I'm hoping you could give me some guidance on two issues. My feeling is that the "default" settings (see screenshot, below) that were already in the Quadrino Zoom were selected for a more typical sized quad, much like the DJI F450 not the 220mm motor-to-motor Turnigy micro.

The micro Quad has rather low amplitude ROLL and PITCH oscillations. They both are about + and - 10 degrees and have about a 1 second period. Maybe "wobbly" would describe it better. Could you advise me as to what a good beginning change to their 3.8, 0.030, 23 PIDs would make sense.

Also it is kinda "springy" in altitude. Its like it is slowly bouncing on a trampoline, i.e., it will go up about 5 ft in about 2 seconds and I try to counter it and it will start back down, but overshoot. If I really concentrate on it I can keep it inside say a 2 foot high box. Similarly, do you have a guesstimate for the changes to the ALT 1.6, 0.015, 7 PID that might help it to become more rock steady in altitude hold.

If I can get these two shut down, I'll be well on my way. Would appreciate any help you can think of. Below is a screenshot of the "default" settings I'm using.

Many Thanks,
Bob
bobandris is offline Find More Posts by bobandris
Old May 13, 2012, 06:41 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,436 Posts
I only change the PID's one at a time, plus I only change them at .3 at a time.
So this is the part that takes the most time.

But it should not feel springy.
Old May 15, 2012, 01:24 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,436 Posts
Check your Pm's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandris View Post
Sorry to bother you all with such a newbie request. I'm now on my 2nd quad; the 1st was a DJI F450 ARF, including the Naza (I wanted to start with the one having the highest probability of success; and it was!).

My 2nd quad consists of a Quadrino Zoom, rev 1E, installed in a Turnigy micro Quad, with ZTW 12 ESCs, HK 1811-2000 10g motors, Gemfan 5x3 3-blades, and a 3S1P GensAce 1000 mAh/25C. I installed a Spektrum AR6100 and bound it to my DX8.

Next I installed MultiWiiConf 2.0 and the FTDIUSBSerialDriver on my iMac and finally got the software and the Quadrino Zoom talking to each other. Was able to use it to set the throttle to 1000-to-2000; the aileron, elevator, rudder to 1000-to-1500-to-2000; and the gear switch to 1000 and 2000. Wrote it, disconnected and installed the battery, fired it up and was able to get it to lift off! Somewhat twitchy but still it was a success!

Then I got back on activated the ACC, BARO, & MAG but didn't touch the default PIDs as I don't know what in the hell I'm doing yet; soon though! It is now flying pretty good, but I'm experiencing some motions which I would like to calm down (yes, the Naza spoils you with its stability!). I am reading the PID references but I'm hoping you could give me some guidance on two issues. My feeling is that the "default" settings (see screenshot, below) that were already in the Quadrino Zoom were selected for a more typical sized quad, much like the DJI F450 not the 220mm motor-to-motor Turnigy micro.

The micro Quad has rather low amplitude ROLL and PITCH oscillations. They both are about + and - 10 degrees and have about a 1 second period. Maybe "wobbly" would describe it better. Could you advise me as to what a good beginning change to their 3.8, 0.030, 23 PIDs would make sense.

Also it is kinda "springy" in altitude. Its like it is slowly bouncing on a trampoline, i.e., it will go up about 5 ft in about 2 seconds and I try to counter it and it will start back down, but overshoot. If I really concentrate on it I can keep it inside say a 2 foot high box. Similarly, do you have a guesstimate for the changes to the ALT 1.6, 0.015, 7 PID that might help it to become more rock steady in altitude hold.

If I can get these two shut down, I'll be well on my way. Would appreciate any help you can think of. Below is a screenshot of the "default" settings I'm using.

Many Thanks,
Bob
Old May 15, 2012, 04:12 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
HEY guys so i go to change it to a tri copter i change it but it wont let me arm it i can move the yaw servo but i cant get the motors to turn on when i plug it into the config it doest show the sensors working any ideas
ROCKY2 is offline Find More Posts by ROCKY2
Old May 15, 2012, 07:51 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,436 Posts
Tri-copter arms different from a quad or hex.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
21 Posts
Hello Guys
So im a total newb and this is my first build and first quad unless u count my MQX which I love by the way. So I bought the Quadrino advance Vr1 with the Easy connects. I went into Adruino 1.0 and I defined the quad took away the "\\"
I calibrated my ESC with my Hover Things programing card. Everthings plugged in and ready to fly. Now I can take off and hover and do some forward flight but the whole time (this is the best way for me to discribe it) its "twitchy" what i mean by that is it it jerks lightly when i fly it from right to left like its shaking i can slightly control it but i get to nervous to fly it. im thinking it could be my pid settings or another one of my settings so I have a pic here of what I have.
Now i know you guys say mess with you pids by very litttle by.o33 But im not sure which to change Any help would be much appreciated thanks for taking the time to read this and for the help
Sean
Sean1986 is offline Find More Posts by Sean1986
Old May 15, 2012, 08:26 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,436 Posts
Try changing you roll pitch first (3.4) and if the doesn't stop or slow the twiching down.

Then put the setting back and then change the pitch to (3.4).

If that doesn't help it or stop it.
Then work on your yaw, settings.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined May 2006
43 Posts
Unusual? Quadrino behavior

Moved to new Thread
larryw461 is offline Find More Posts by larryw461
Last edited by larryw461; May 16, 2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old May 16, 2012, 09:54 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
Tri-copter arms different from a quad or hex.
how than?
Old May 16, 2012, 10:13 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,436 Posts
http://multiwii.googlecode.com/svn/b...8_v0-57721.pdf
Old May 16, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
(((Beware))) No failsafe on upgrading multiwii firmware. if you turn off your transmitter after disarming. the qaud will rearm and take off on it's own. (Hole in pc board)
Purchased the new 1e ez/wire board. I don't know who named this but it's other than ez.
vc 450 ar8000 rx and old 1d wiring. Witespy. It would be helpful to have a diagram to convert boards using the esc connectors. badooger@yahoo.com
badooger is offline Find More Posts by badooger
Old May 16, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
vc 450 with spectrum ar8000 rx. Any step by step pictures would be helpful switching from 1d multiwii board to 1e multiwiiboard. a lot of open grounds extra wires and loose ends.
badooger@yahoo.com
badooger is offline Find More Posts by badooger
Old May 17, 2012, 12:03 AM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
have done that but still nothing what version of the GUI are you running ? i cant get one to work right
Old May 17, 2012, 05:17 PM
"Every boy has a dream to fly"
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
My quadcopter is shaking just a little bit, how do I make less sensitive and softer? I don't want to screw up my PIDs because the 2.0 setup has been treating me well.
Airplanekid333 is offline Find More Posts by Airplanekid333