SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:28 PM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,350 Posts
I'm still stuck/lost trying to get my quad with a quadrino advanced to do anything.
I was able to flash and update the board, and have version 1.9 on it. When I run the MultiWii Config program for 1.9, I can get the board to show how its moving about its axis (if I turn it about), and relationship to magnetic north. There is nothing from the barometer though, and I did pay for a advanced board when I bought this from whitespy last fall. I did remove the little piece of tape.
The big problem so far is that this board doesn't seem to be doing anything with the transmitter input. I've tried a couple different spektrum DSM2 receivers, a couple of turnigy orange ones, with my DX6i and a JR 9503 with DSM2 module. The bind light on the rx goes from flashing, then off quickly to steady on - so it would appear to be binding.
I get no indication on the config screen, or the quad itself that anything is happening with control inputs. The ESCs keep beeping, and the motors make little turns back and forth.
I get nothing on the screen or board than does anything when I move the TX gimbals.
When its wired directly from the laptop to the board with th USB cable, the small tx and rx LEDs on the board light up (when i hit start and read). The blue power LED comes on, and if it moves the status LED lights up.

I'm using a DIYDrones power distibution board, the quadrino advanced, a wiring harness set from Innov8tive RC frm the RX to the board.

What am I doing wrong, or what else am I supposed to have done?
Could I have missed commenting something out when I flashed the board using the arduino program/editor?
jonquinn is online now Find More Posts by jonquinn
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:49 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn View Post
I'm still stuck/lost trying to get my quad with a quadrino advanced to do anything.
I was able to flash and update the board, and have version 1.9 on it. When I run the MultiWii Config program for 1.9, I can get the board to show how its moving about its axis (if I turn it about), and relationship to magnetic north. There is nothing from the barometer though, and I did pay for a advanced board when I bought this from whitespy last fall. I did remove the little piece of tape.
The big problem so far is that this board doesn't seem to be doing anything with the transmitter input. I've tried a couple different spektrum DSM2 receivers, a couple of turnigy orange ones, with my DX6i and a JR 9503 with DSM2 module. The bind light on the rx goes from flashing, then off quickly to steady on - so it would appear to be binding.
I get no indication on the config screen, or the quad itself that anything is happening with control inputs. The ESCs keep beeping, and the motors make little turns back and forth.
I get nothing on the screen or board than does anything when I move the TX gimbals.
When its wired directly from the laptop to the board with th USB cable, the small tx and rx LEDs on the board light up (when i hit start and read). The blue power LED comes on, and if it moves the status LED lights up.

I'm using a DIYDrones power distibution board, the quadrino advanced, a wiring harness set from Innov8tive RC frm the RX to the board.

What am I doing wrong, or what else am I supposed to have done?
Could I have missed commenting something out when I flashed the board using the arduino program/editor?
www.multiwii.com
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,350 Posts
I'm not seeing anything helpful there.

I did the min throttle when I flashed the board.
I guess I'll have to go through the arduino code again.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:02 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,854 Posts
Which sensors did you define in the sketch config.h ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,350 Posts
I reflashed the board again with 1.9.

I went through the sketch and defined
#define QUADRINO full FC board 9DOF+baro board from witespy with BMP085 baro <- confirmed by Alex

I took out the // in front of the full FC board above too.

since I don't have a independent baro I didn't do anything with those lines

also defined/uncommented quad x and set minthrottle 1150 (I have rc timer 20A escs).

still nothing happen when I try to bind the rx. It looks like it should be bound, but again nothing happens on the GUI screen when I moved the TX sticks. also, the GUI still shows the baro as OFF.
I can't imagine this should be this difficult.
Last edited by jonquinn; Apr 29, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:38 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,488 Posts
Quote:
I reflashed the board again with 1.9.

I went through the sketch and defined
#define QUADRINO full FC board 9DOF+baro board from witespy with BMP085 baro <- confirmed by Alex

I took out the // in front of the full FC board above too.

since I don't have a independent baro I didn't do anything with those lines

also defined/uncommented quad x and set minthrottle 1150 (I have rc timer 20A escs).

still nothing happen when I try to bind the rx. It looks like it should be bound, but again nothing happens on the GUI screen when I moved the TX sticks. also, the GUI still shows the baro as OFF.
I can't imagine this should be this difficult.
Check your PM"s
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:27 PM
LSF 004 - AMA 5055
United States, CA, Saratoga
Joined Dec 2000
593 Posts
Must You Also Supply VIN

To put my question in perspective, "I am a complete newbie to MultiWii boards". I'm finishing up installation of a Quadrino Zoom (Rev 1E) on the Turnigy mico Quad frame. The "A" motor connector coming off the board has the full three pins, so it will supply the necessary 5v VCC to the board (from the "A" motor ESC) and therefore to the RX through it's own VCC and ground pins. My question is, do I also have to supply the full battery voltage (VIN) to the board. I don't think so, but I can't find any "FlyingEinstein" documentation that says you MUST supply it in addition to the 5v VCC.

Thanks to all,
Bob
bobandris is online now Find More Posts by bobandris
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:35 PM
USA, TX, The Colony
Joined Dec 2005
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandris View Post
To put my question in perspective, "I am a complete newbie to MultiWii boards". I'm finishing up installation of a Quadrino Zoom (Rev 1E) on the Turnigy mico Quad frame. The "A" motor connector coming off the board has the full three pins, so it will supply the necessary 5v VCC to the board (from the "A" motor ESC) and therefore to the RX through it's own VCC and ground pins. My question is, do I also have to supply the full battery voltage (VIN) to the board. I don't think so, but I can't find any "FlyingEinstein" documentation that says you MUST supply it in addition to the 5v VCC.

Thanks to all,
Bob
No you do not, full voltage goes to motors only through the ESC's, 1 ESC only supplies 5v to the Quadrino, board supplies 5v to your receiver.

Also, never plug in the battery when you are also connected to computer via usb. Usb connection only will provide power to the board and receiver.
cquian is online now Find More Posts by cquian
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:33 PM
LSF 004 - AMA 5055
United States, CA, Saratoga
Joined Dec 2000
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cquian View Post
No you do not, full voltage goes to motors only through the ESC's, 1 ESC only supplies 5v to the Quadrino, board supplies 5v to your receiver.

Also, never plug in the battery when you are also connected to computer via usb. Usb connection only will provide power to the board and receiver.
Thanks, cquian,

And thanks for that USB caveat, I probably would have . . . smoke!

Bob
bobandris is online now Find More Posts by bobandris
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:40 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,854 Posts
One thing i want to say.
I plug my Quadrino to the PC and the Battery all the time since day one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,350 Posts
finally some success, thanks to help from DoctorAudio/Al! Rotors are turning, and it did lift. Unfortunately by the time I got the props on tonight, it was dark outside. I did run it up briefly under the porch light. I think I've gt all the props on in the right rotation/reverse rotation, and they're all spinning the right direction. I didn't try to lift it too much, but it did seem to have a tendancy to want to tip to its left (my right, looking at the front rotors).
Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on it tomorrow after work and spin it up, if not then probably Tuesday.
At least I'm finally on the right track!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:45 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,488 Posts
JonQuinn:
I am just happy that we got you to the point that you are at!
Jon, You have my number now. If you have an issue, don't think twice just call me.
I will do my best to get you back up and running.
I have many years of time invested in RC.
I don't feel like I should do any less than help those out that need it.
I am a HeliDirect field rep.
Hopefully, I can continue to help out those that need it.
DoctorAudio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. It was a pleasure to help out!

Quote:
finally some success, thanks to help from DoctorAudio/Al! Rotors are turning, and it did lift. Unfortunately by the time I got the props on tonight, it was dark outside. I did run it up briefly under the porch light. I think I've gt all the props on in the right rotation/reverse rotation, and they're all spinning the right direction. I didn't try to lift it too much, but it did seem to have a tendancy to want to tip to its left (my right, looking at the front rotors).
Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on it tomorrow after work and spin it up, if not then probably Tuesday.
At least I'm finally on the right track!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:20 PM
USA, TX, The Colony
Joined Dec 2005
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
One thing i want to say.
I plug my Quadrino to the PC and the Battery all the time since day one.
I remember people stating that they blew the diode when they did that.
cquian is online now Find More Posts by cquian
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:24 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cquian View Post
I remember people stating that they blew the diode when they did that.
Maybe
But in theory the diode is there to avoid and correct that.
Maybe reverse diode?
And also there is many ways to power it. I power mine from one esc pin
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:06 PM
I'm Bonafide!
Wilmington, NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,283 Posts
Trying to read thru this megathread..but I am having a slight issue with my new quad. First quad BTW...I have the 1e board on the vic550 frame using 4 Hoverthings motors and Turnigy Plush 18 ESC's. I have connected all the ESC's separately...started my Tx, Throttle all the way up, then connected power, beep beep, throttle all the way down. When I arm the board and start to give throttle one motor hesitates to spin and doesn't seem to be starting or running right. If I hold the quad in my hand and throttle up to where the motor will spin it wants to tilt on me. I sat it down on the floor and it will pull forward, reverse, left and right...but won't even begin to hover as that one motor seems to be slow to start...suggestions.....when I get home I will try to get some video and upload it...just trying to get a jump on it before I get home.
JediKnight2 is offline Find More Posts by JediKnight2