tonkajeep34 is online now Find More Posts by tonkajeep34
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dipped Taranis - Take 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:28 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
I finally flew my Witespy / Quadrino quad with a GoPro mounted to it, nothing overly exciting, I just went up and down a couple times as my battery was low. I was flying in acro mode and shot this in R3 (720 / 60P), then slowed it down for playback to help smooth things out.

GoProJune4 2011 (1 min 22 sec)

My settings are P 3.4, I .30, D 18. Flies pretty well, acro mode is moderately stable even in 10mph-15mph winds and stable mode is still drifting a bit (probably mostly because of the wind). There is a little bit of wobble but I'm not sure if that is from the wind, from climbing and dropping kind of quick, or from PID settings. In stable mode I had to give it a fair amount of forward and right stick to just keep it hovering in place, I didn't land and try trimming stable mode because I couldn't remember the procedure and didn't have my notes with me. That's on my list to do very soon.

I've decided that since I have a number of spare parts laying around that I'm going to build a second "learning to fly / crash test dummy" quad. I have the MutliWii FC and HK motors from my Witespy quad, plenty of props, a spare Vic centerplate, and a cat for the landing gear, but have yet to upgrade the ESCs. I'm looking for something a little better than the HKs but nothing too fancy, mostly just something reliable and smooth. Any suggestions on those would be greatly appreciated. Also, I've heard some people say not to get card programmable ESCs but I like how simple that feature appears to work and was thinking about getting the programming card for whatever ESCs I get. Is there a specific reason why I shouldn't get one like that?

If it's not windy tomorrow I plan on heading out to an open field to practice flying around, will probably do some video with the GoPro too. I've not really done much forward flight yet so it could get interesting...

Thanks!
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Last edited by mattchase; Jun 04, 2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: added boring video
Old Jun 05, 2011, 12:09 AM
Joined Oct 2009
593 Posts
Hey witespy, could I get those extra spacers you said you would send me? Also found one spacer missing just below the motor mount. So only one screw pressing the plate together in that spot so I would need an additional spacer.

I finally got the Quad flying with only the slightest wobble.
I tried all these settings
2.8 .030 25
2.7 .030 27
2.6 .030 29
2.5 .030 16
2.4 .030 17
2.5 .030 14
2.4 .030 13
2.3 .030 12
2.3 .035 10
2.3 .026 20
2.3 .026 18

The last one (P2.3 I.026 and D18) works pretty good. I know you said not to touch I but this is the only way I could get rid of the wobble. Is there a possibility of me having a bad board? Also My Barometer is reading -30. I live on a Mountain that is 758ft above sea level. It pretty much tries to drill itself into the ground when I turned it on. One landing gear plate cracked from this.
aerorotor is offline Find More Posts by aerorotor
Old Jun 05, 2011, 01:22 AM
Joined Oct 2009
593 Posts
Ok so I tried plugging in the board and checking out the data on the config software. Randomly the barometer will go nuts. It started out at -40 and slowly the number kept going down when it hit -75 I disconnected the board. It doesn't always happen but I think this is going to be a problem if I don't bring a lap top to verify the sensor has initialized properly each time before I fly. There is definitely some kind of glitch going on with this board.
Last edited by aerorotor; Jun 05, 2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 04:17 AM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerorotor View Post
Ok so I tried plugging in the board and checking out the data on the config software. Randomly the barometer will go nuts. It started out at -40 and slowly the number kept going down when it hit -75 I disconnected the board. It doesn't always happen but I think this is going to be a problem if I don't bring a lap top to verify the sensor has initialized properly each time before I fly. There is definitely some kind of glitch going on with this board.
The barometer do ship with a small (clear) film over the top.

Try giving it a rub with your finger and see if that clears up yours reads ..

I will send those spacers no problem, We will get you worked out.
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Last edited by witespy; Jun 05, 2011 at 04:48 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 04:37 AM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
Quote:
You need to remove the tape from the barometer. Wind will effect it, so some people have put foam over it to help with this.
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:34 AM
Joined Oct 2009
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
You need to remove the tape from the barometer. Wind will effect it, so some people have put foam over it to help with this.
There was no tape over the barometer when i got it. The crazy readings I'm getting is when its sitting on the floor inside the house with no wind blowing on it. When it initializes correctly, it will show 0 and fluctuate between 0 and -3 or 0 and 5. When I lift it off the floor it will show the change in height. It is just this random initialization error where it will start off at a large negative number and slowly go more and more negative if I leave it sitting on the floor. I put a fake security cam dome over the FC and put a rubber seal around the base of the dome. The air can still get in from the bottom, but no direct wind can blow over the sensor. Should I still put foam over the sensor?
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:18 AM
Joined Oct 2009
593 Posts
So I fashioned some new vibration mounts for my board and pushed the settings up to 4.0 .030 40. It is stable but has a slight bobble every now and then I'm going to try 3.8 .030 and 42. My new mount seems to have tamed the vibrations.

On this test flight the Baro would hold the heli for about 2 or 3 seconds then it would either start climbing for the moon or if I corrected altitude from the climb it would try to fall like a brick. I put some open cell foam from my aquarium on the sensor onn this test. ATM the baro is showing readings that fluctuate from 0 to 10 while sitting on my dinning table, no fans, no kids running around the room disturbing the air. Is this normal for this sensor? IDK know what these number scale to in the software, is it 1 to 1 or is it a percentage or a multiplier?
Old Jun 05, 2011, 11:27 AM
Joined Oct 2009
593 Posts
I just read this "now that 1.7 is out D is reversed." So does that mean we need to lower D instead of raise it? When reading the witespy manual it says that D is a negative value, so when we raise D it used to make the value more negative. So if D is reversed in 1.7 then that means we need to make D smaller to get to have the same effects as when we used to raise it.

I tried a higher P and D at 40 based on the guide. If the function of D has been reversed the guide needs to be edited to reflect this change.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 03:31 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
Quote:
Should I still put foam over the sensor?
I wouldn't.
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:27 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
I was able to fly a little tonight, I focused on getting it trimmed in acro mode and then auto level mode. I'm not sure if I was successful with auto level, I followed the instructions for the older MW boards but the board didn't beep or flash like it says it should, so I don't know if it actually did any trimming. Is the procedure different for this board?
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Old Jun 05, 2011, 11:13 PM
Joined Oct 2009
593 Posts
Just can't get this board to fly without wobbles. Also tried the baro again and it stays level for a while then climbs, drops and each cycle the climb and drop grows. I think this board is bad.
I created a better mount for the board and I'm able to fly with it at P=4 where as with the original mount it would oscillate too much. Right now I can get it to fly but there is always a wobble when flying forward, hovering when the wind blows, altitude changes. etc. I can fly it ok with low P values down to 2.3 but wobbles are still there but the quad has no stability.

I've tried every possible change, changing P I D to higher and lower values with various combination, but there is no way this board will fly smooth for AP.

I have flown 12 packs today and 10 yesterday trying to get this thing smooth, not to mention built my own custom board mount that has improved things. Witespy I think I need a different board.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 11:29 PM
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined May 2005
631 Posts
hummmm... all this talk about PID's just seems so foreign to me.... I've built 6 or more multiwii quads with various flight boards, including the Quadrino .... and have never had to adjust anything other then the "P" and the auto level.... the "P" range has always been between 3.4 -3.8.... auto level 9-10... and this has been on frame sizes from 330, 450, and 550.... so again I find this very odd... i think before diving into the deep end of the PID settings, look very close at your prop and motor balancing (i almost never need to balance a motor).... this was my 2 pennies
hauntfreaks is offline Find More Posts by hauntfreaks
Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:00 AM
Joined Oct 2009
593 Posts
I did the blade balancing. I will have to work on the motors another day. The thing is motor and blade balancing would not explain the drastic fluctuation of the barometer. I have had the baro go from -30 to -75 when hooked up to the config software. In flight it would remain level for a second or two then start oscillating up and down climbing higher and higher and getting closer and closer to the ground. I understand a few feet variation but having the quad go nuts in less than a 5 second time span is not acceptable.

When I first got the Quad I tested it with default settings and it oscillated so bad that it would have been easy to crash. The only way I could get it to fly good was to bring P all the way down to 2.3 lower I to .026 and set D to 18. Very small wobbles but almost no stabilization. Its like flying a standard flybarred Heli. After I created my new mount I could raise P to 4 but would get a lot of wobble when the wind blew or if I transitioned from forward flight to a stop or change altitude.

I didn't build this I bought it assembled by Witespy. I just balanced the props, assembled, set up radio, did a calibration and tried to fly it. I'm really trying to make this work. I put foam on the baro, put a security dome over the FC. rebalanced all the rotors, oiled the motors 3x already. Tightened up all the bolts. Re-aligned the arms because they came twisted motors were slanted about 3* causing excessive yaw.

Sometimes it just boils down to a bad component on the board skewing all the numbers. I could have built a quad myself but wanted something to fly now and not have to deal with all these problems.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:23 AM
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined May 2005
631 Posts
man if i ran my "P" at 2.3 it would be a drifting everywhere mother..... one other thing you could try if you havent, go over every screw on the quad including the motor and prop adapter screws

your setting up the PID/Gui settings while the quad is in Acro mode (flying mode)? if not get it flying right in flying mode before worrying about flying it with any of the other sensors on.... there all fun but there not going to do anything for you while your getting you quad flying right....

to tell you the truth just run the with quad with the Baro off... the code is just not ready for it to really work proper..... unless your way up and dont care about the fluctuation 4-8 feet.... i say just keep it off....
hauntfreaks is offline Find More Posts by hauntfreaks