HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2011, 10:48 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Say...lot's of experienced, knowledgeable people here. I've been thinking of trying a home made tricopter. Anyone have a link(s) to some good DIY tri frames for the RCTimer 2830 size motors (like what most use on the 450 size quad frame) and 10" props?
Van,

I built a T-Copter from Tim's (troynh) design on his thread. There's dimensions and diagrams and a lot of info. A T variation is great if you are looking to do some GoPro video with it. Judging from your posts on many threads that I read, you seem to be into taking video and FPV. If you want a great camera platform, the T-Copter places the camera far enough forward to keep the props out of the video. Anyway, here is a link to Tim's thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1314483

My T-Copter is a very stable flier. Here's my last recorded flight with the T-Copter from Tim's design. SHortly after this flight, one of my ESCs developed a problem. I just got the replacement ESCs due to them being on backorder. I should be back in the air this weekend.

T-Copter Lunchtime Flight at a Local Park (3 min 25 sec)

I can't wait to get the Quadrino going in the Quad I'm designing.

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2011, 10:48 PM
Waiting for my Medication
USA, MA, West Springfield
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
Hey seadog, could you please tell the folks here (some of them got their panties in a wad) that I was busting on you in a friendly way, and not because you're a noob.
Well first off kinda hate the name of Noob. Yes new to quads and this RC flying stuff we have now but back in 50's we had gas planes and control lines so yes in some sense I'm a newb but in others yer the noob. I also think that with more people entering this hobby that constant comments about noob and redicule towards their learning mistakes will drive them away. At 64 ,which you well know, being called noob is irritating. You seem to relish confrontation and belittling comments. Maybe you think your funny. Most people don't. A little rib busting is cool and we all do it. Usually we know the people fairly good but we don't make a career out of busting them. We are all here to learn and hopefully help each other. So I think maybe in your simple mind you think you are humorous but several here don't agree. Yes I can take a ribbing but you seem to really love busting noobs or singling one out. So if some of the people on here take offense to your attitude then maybe time to change it.
seadog1967 is offline Find More Posts by seadog1967
Old May 19, 2011, 10:52 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,044 Posts
I am sorry you feel that way.

Please show me where I pick on new pilots.

I thought I had always been very beginner friendly, hence this thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1430423

or recently here...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1440322

Heck, here's my post history...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...0Flying-Monkey

If you're going to say something like I attack new pilots, please back it up with something.
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Last edited by Flying-Monkey; May 19, 2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old May 19, 2011, 11:00 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,491 Posts
djdavid60 that is some nice flying. what does the t-copter look like.
tc3wins is offline Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old May 19, 2011, 11:02 PM
Waiting for my Medication
USA, MA, West Springfield
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
I am sorry you feel that way.

Please show me where I pick on new pilots.

I thought I had always been very beginner friendly, hence this thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1430423

or recently here...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1440322
You pm'd me friendly like wanted to chat on skype. I figured why not. All I got was put downs. negative comments about my photography, comment about I'm typing to slow do I have arthritis (well knowing my age was 64) which by the way I type 60wpm. Then in conversation I mention some issues I had with serving in Vietnam which you didn't put me down personally for serving in the service but started about what good did it do etc. I'm sorry But if you don't agree with American policy that's fine just don't start ragging on a Vet for it. This is a touchy subject for those that served over there. Some of us served to enable you to run your mouth but we don't have to listen to it. Anyways in the witespy quad thread you had to make your comments to my flying skills and again in here. I think once was fine enough. Grow up a little.
seadog1967 is offline Find More Posts by seadog1967
Old May 19, 2011, 11:08 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins View Post
djdavid60 that is some nice flying. what does the t-copter look like.
This is what it looks like...

Those are Avroto 2814-11 motors and 12x6 APC E Props, HK25-30A SS ESCs, Arduino Pro Mini, WMP, GoPro, 900mHz 500 mW vTx, Remzibi OSD, 4000mAh 3s 30C Lipos, weighs 62oz....
Old May 19, 2011, 11:15 PM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,491 Posts
Very nice. looks really cool.
Old May 19, 2011, 11:28 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins View Post
Very nice. looks really cool.
I've been thinking about it, and I think I'm going to put the Quadrino in the T-Copter. Since I'm going the FPV route, it would be nice to have the position hold. I only have WMP at the moment.

Doug
Old May 19, 2011, 11:39 PM
Joined Dec 2009
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post
I've been thinking about it, and I think I'm going to put the Quadrino in the T-Copter. Since I'm going the FPV route, it would be nice to have the position hold. I only have WMP at the moment.

Doug
Those are some big motors on your t copter. What size are your Props
Do you get good flight time.
NaterPin is offline Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old May 19, 2011, 11:45 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaterPin View Post
Those are some big motors on your t copter. What size are your Props
Do you get good flight time.
They have to be big, with the GoPro in its case and all the FPV gear, the T-Copter weighs in at 62oz. I use APC 12x6 E props. It's got a lot of thrust, at least 160oz. With the 4000mAh 30C 3s lipos, I get about 13 minutes of nice gentle stable flying. It goes down from there depending on how hard you drive it...

Doug
Old May 20, 2011, 11:15 AM
Carbon addict...
Sweden
Joined Jun 2005
76 Posts
Payed but no confirmation.

Hi witespy!

I payed and made a order for a adv board a couple of days ago but havent recieved any confirmation of any kind.

Would be nice to know that the money got thruu to you and when you can ship it.

// Studd // Jimmy
studd is offline Find More Posts by studd
Old May 20, 2011, 12:07 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
611 Posts
I got my new advanced board yesterday and wired it up, I did have to separate the 3 wire motor plug, there is a single plug and a 3 wire plug and the numbers on them didn't line up with the numbers on the board, so I cut the 3 wire plug into individuals. I loaded up the GUI and made sure all the controls were correct. I tested it without props at a low speed, then with props holding while holding the quad in my hand. Everything seemed fine, so I tested flying it. It was a little wobbly (I used the settings from the old board) but was flying ok, but after a few minutes I lost all control and the quad tilted excessively in one direction. I cut throttle and tried disarming with the TX, neither of which worked. I didn't try turning off my TX to see if that would cut power / activate failsafe, I'm going to test that out later today. Once I got the battery unplugged I noticed a plug on one of the motors had come out, which explains the sudden tilt, but would that also cause a total loss of radio control?

I have mine wired like it is in the photos on the first page and in Seadog's photo - all the pins are plugged into the outside row - but in tc3wins diagram he points to the center row of pins for the RX plugs. Does that matter? I also noticed in Seadog's photo he has more wires going to the motor pins than I do, not sure where those extra wires are coming from.
mattchase is offline Find More Posts by mattchase
Old May 20, 2011, 12:15 PM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,491 Posts
Yea Sorry about that. I was just pointing to that set of pins not center row. and that was for Futaba setup which is different then the Spektrum setup
Old May 20, 2011, 12:20 PM
Brookings, OR.
Joined Dec 2005
243 Posts
Quad settup

Will this site work for the original witespy quad? http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/so...se/#svn%2Ftags I know this is the thread for the new FC board, but I cannot access the GUI to set my quad up.

Mike F
Mike F is offline Find More Posts by Mike F
Old May 20, 2011, 12:37 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog1967 View Post
You pm'd me friendly like wanted to chat on skype. I figured why not. All I got was put downs. negative comments about my photography, comment about I'm typing to slow do I have arthritis (well knowing my age was 64) which by the way I type 60wpm. Then in conversation I mention some issues I had with serving in Vietnam which you didn't put me down personally for serving in the service but started about what good did it do etc. I'm sorry But if you don't agree with American policy that's fine just don't start ragging on a Vet for it. This is a touchy subject for those that served over there. Some of us served to enable you to run your mouth but we don't have to listen to it. Anyways in the witespy quad thread you had to make your comments to my flying skills and again in here. I think once was fine enough. Grow up a little.
wow. what a wanker
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign