HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2011, 08:33 PM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
Build Log
guillow avenger mcx conversion- Video Update

hello all, here's my build of the guillows avenger kit 509. it uses a mcx brick, the pz mustang motor and a gws 4025 prop. longest flight was this morning with a time of alittle over 2 minutes. it was it's 7th flight. i have yet to land it successfully but i will try again soon.

it's june 15th and i finally got around to adding a video:
guillow avenger flight.AVI (1 min 49 sec)
igo is offline Find More Posts by igo
Last edited by igo; Jun 15, 2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: adding video
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 08:37 PM
Post Digger
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2005
461 Posts
nice! what control surfaces are you using? how much does it weigh?
Baratacus is offline Find More Posts by Baratacus
Old May 11, 2011, 09:01 PM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
the mcx brick has 2 built in linear actuators and 2 motor ports. i wanted to be able to rog so i set the plane up as elevator rudder. it was 1.4oz before maiden. after 7 flights and 7 repairs and i just added wash out ala post-it, it's now 1.5oz.
Old May 11, 2011, 09:47 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,311 Posts
I have one of these kits, and some day, I'll build it, but most of the balsa will be donated to a shipyard, and contest balsa (I hoarded, waiting for the balsa apocalypse) and foam will be substituted. Maybe I'll spurge for some Blue RA Microlite, too!!

Too many ideas, not enough energy.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old May 11, 2011, 10:59 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim View Post
I have one of these kits, and some day, I'll build it, but most of the balsa will be donated to a shipyard, and contest balsa (I hoarded, waiting for the balsa apocalypse) and foam will be substituted. Maybe I'll spurge for some Blue RA Microlite, too!!

Too many ideas, not enough energy.
Better than having no idea and too much energy
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old May 12, 2011, 10:47 AM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
hello 356Jim, any chance you can send me the balsa from that kit?
Old May 12, 2011, 02:48 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Good job looks nice. With the P-51 motor you should try a 4X5 prop for outside flying.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old May 12, 2011, 04:59 PM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Nice plane Igo. I have two of there. One I made many years ago rubber powered, the other one is still in the box. Might do a conversion in the future with minium gear. How do you exchange the battery? Through the nose?

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
Old May 12, 2011, 08:20 PM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
hello Robert, you guessed right, the lipo battery does go in through the nose. the neodynium magnets hold the foam block(glued to cowling) in place.
Old May 12, 2011, 08:24 PM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
pete, i would like to use a 4x5 prop but i'm experiencing shut down issues when ever the current draw exceeds 1.2amps for over 20 seconds at full power. the stock pz mustang prop did just that. the prop your are suggesting has a more aggressive pitch than the pz mustang prop.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:28 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
the brick you are using was for a heli, right? it has twin motor ports, yes? take a multi meter and find out witch one is + and -. then run the two together to the brick. my guess is that this was for a coaxial heli, and there fore was using two corless motors geared about 10:1. my guess is they put two 1A esc's on it, i am guessing thats why the brick has two ports.
running the two port to the same motor should work, as long as you dont cross the wires, that may fry your brick. tryy not to hit the over load cutout on the ESC, its there as a protection, but still causes a little damage. over time, a little can be a lot.
just my .02
nemo

P.S. if all you can get is 1.2A consider going to a 7mm geared. i never have used one, but my 6mm El Cheapo's put out 18G thrust on a 4025 drawing 600mah. if you went to the bigger 7mm, you might get something usable. dont really know.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old May 15, 2011, 02:10 PM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
nemoskull, i will try your suggestion!! thanks!
Old May 15, 2011, 06:27 PM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
nemoskull, i was able to do as you suggested. it does work, .9amps max using 1s 1320 tp cell. i found out that i can reach max current when the throttle stick is moved to half throttle position on the transmitter. if i push the stick to full throttle position on the transmitter, the esc shuts down within seconds. at half throttle, it does not shut down for over 2 minutes. the transmitter is a spektrum dx-7. anyone know about this?
Last edited by igo; May 16, 2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: misspelled half (was spelled as have)
Old May 15, 2011, 07:07 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Very nice job Igo!

I have that same kit and wondered if I could use similar equipment in it. Did you use the original kit balsa to get that AUW?
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old May 16, 2011, 10:47 AM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
hello vtdiy, i did use the original kit balsa for this build. i will post pics of the build and you can see the weight when the plane was on the scale. i saw another guillow avenger thread where the rubber powered plane was only 30grams.