HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2011, 06:31 PM
Ian
Joined Dec 2008
31 Posts
Discussion
Trojan T-28 (UM) Motor Failure

Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I purchased an Ultra Micro T-28. It's not my first plane, but it's definitely the plane I got the most comfortable flying. I had one or two crashes the first day (dented the cowling a little), but other than that it's been pretty smooth flying. I probably had about an hour of flight time on it when the pitch of the motor sound began varying in flight. It was definitely flying like the thrust was varying too. About a half hour of flight later, the motor failed in flight. Deadstick landing was no problem. For a couple of minutes it would spin if I started it by hand, but now there is no tendency to spin at all with throttle up. I've taken it apart and the ESC is fine (or it reads 4.2 volts).

I've done a little bit of searching, but I can't find anything on the topic. Do these motors tend to fail often, or did I just get a bad egg?

Thanks!
iCurtis is offline Find More Posts by iCurtis
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 06:48 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCurtis View Post
Hi everyone,

I've done a little bit of searching, but I can't find anything on the topic. Do these motors tend to fail often, or did I just get a bad egg?

Thanks!
I have well over 300 hours on mine and it's still ok. Some people have far less. Call HH and talk to them. They will probably tell you that bushed motors wear out and that is the problem. A new motor is around $10 and takes less than 5 minutes to install. Before you mess with the motor make sure the battery is good.
Bob
wslco10 is online now Find More Posts by wslco10
Old May 11, 2011, 06:54 PM
Larry
Lakewood Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
51 Posts
I had one and I got one flight out of tthe motor tried to get hobby shop to replace it but they were real s---heads about it so took my busness elsewere and bought new motor for it and have had at least 20 flights on this one and every thing was fine. Had a friend that had his fail with out ever being in the air failed as soon as he tried to fire it up so yes you can get bad motors with out knowing it.
Larry D is offline Find More Posts by Larry D
Old May 16, 2011, 07:41 PM
Ian
Joined Dec 2008
31 Posts
Got the new motor in today. Had a bit of trouble getting the old one out of the mount (they aren't kidding when they say press fit!), but the new one slid in just fine and its back to flying great.
iCurtis is offline Find More Posts by iCurtis